Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 21 2013
By: Casey1891 First Son 9 posts

Starhawk -- Prospector -- Site 17 -- Mercenary

19 replies 281 views Edited Apr 21, 2013

I have been playing Starhawk for about ten days, almost exclusively Prospector mode.  I have not been able to find much online about strategy when it comes to Prospector.  I don't know if it's because Starhawk isn't too popular, or if not that many people play Prospector, or don't play it on Mercenary, or just don't post info, or if it's supposed to be obvious how to beat it and I'm missing something.  There's a several-page thread on this board from a few years ago lamenting how difficult Prospector is ("Prospector is ridiculous!" is the title).  I beat Ballard's Crossing on Mercenary pretty easily by making an extended wall at the back of the rift extractor with turrets and an ARM or two inside it.  I just healed these while they did the work of destroying the Hawks and tanks and trucks.

I'm getting beat down by Site 17 however.  I watched two videos of people playing Site 17 on Mercenary mode.  One was solo -- his video doesn't show him finishing the level though -- and the other was in a group.  They both do a lot of jumping around with the rocket launcher and shooting down at enemies.  One of them tends to drop turrets at will then keep running and gunning.  Neither one of them ever brings out the welding torch at all.  It's a fast-paced style of play very different from what I'm used to (I thought the idea was to build a sort of well-planned base and defend it).  I tried adopting their style and did alright -- I got to round 5 I think -- but I'm still getting overwhelmed, and I can't seem to keep structures intact round to round the way they do (even though they don't repair anything!).  Their screens didn't seem to go crazy red like mine often does, and they don't get into as many crazy firefights with tons of enemies.  Even basic rifle enemies do massive damage so that I feel I can barely run from place to place without being killed.  And if I'm killed, the extractor is in a world of trouble.  Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, and I feel like that's what I've been doing.

If anyone can give me a straightforward strategy for beating Site 17 in Prospector on Mercenary it'd be much appreciated. What do you build?  In what order do you build things?  What weapons do you use? Do you stay in place or constantly move around? Remember, on this board you can build the following:

-Rift Extractor

-Wall

-Garage/Razorback

-Auto Turret

-Watchtower

-ARM

-Supply Bunker

-Jetpacks

The enemies on Site 17 include Scrappers, Rifle users, shotgunners, Apex Warriors, grinders, Jetpackers with rocket launchers, and trucks.  I am wondering if part of winning involves getting lucky with what enemies they throw at you; sometimes they give you easier enemies, seemingly at random.

If there's some treasure trove of Mercenary Prospector strategy (for Site 17 especially) online that I missed, please feel free to direct me to it.  If there isn't, I'm hoping this thread can become a resource.  I'm asking here because this seems to be one of the most active Starhawk boards.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2548 posts

Re: Starhawk -- Prospector -- Site 17 -- Mercenary

Apr 21, 2013
The way I do it is:
A) build walls where the jetbikes and "trucks" come from (one in the middle of the path works). This will allow you to stick your head round and get a nice triple or 2.
B) spam turrets whenever you have the rift along the open side of the extractor. This takes care of the grinders when they spawn.
C) either build a bunker on a mountain and rain down rockets on enemies or get a jetpack and fly over or build a sniper tower and shoot from their.

WHENEVER you see the jetpackers spawning get out the rocket launcher and lock on to them immediately!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (268 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Apr 23, 2013

I did something similar to what you said and it worked great for Site 17.  I beat the Orbital Lift Complex with no problem but now I'm struggling again on the Refueling Platform.  There's not much room to build around the rig, and it's hard to conserve enough energy to spend on the number of beam turrets you need to fight off the crazy hawk attacks.  Should I be building away from the rig?  Do I HAVE to use a hawk at some point to beat this level?  I stay away from using the hawk whenever I can because I tend to get blown up five seconds after taking off.  Again, looking for Prospector Refueling Platform Mercenary tips.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (250 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1012 posts

Apr 23, 2013

you can draw the hawks away from the rig by getting in a hawk.  on all maps build arms near the extractor and make sure to repair them periodically. make sure and use mines, they're on every map.  if you only drop two you can resupply them through ammo p/u's, if you drop thje third you have to go back to the mine p/u for more.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (221 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Thanks, appreciate the response.

I am definitely building ARMs, and you're right, you need them. The problem is when the Hawks swoop in and blow them up in 10 seconds or less.  But maybe that's where a Hawk of your own is necessary, but I still worry that the Hawks will split their attention between my Hawk and my structures. I'll see. Also I don't know how to pilot the Hawk so as not to get blown up FAST; the shields don't last very long in Mercenary (even against infantry machine gunners!).  And yes, I will be sure to use mines as you suggest.

I'm going to work and crossing my fingers for more tips when I return (otherwise it'll be Resident Evil 6 time for me! :] ).

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (216 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Apr 23, 2013
I'm trying to remember how I did this exactly (it's been a while) but one way to try is to throw lots and lots of turrets out by round 3 (in case of jetpack). Razor back, Sidewinder and sniper rounds are easy. The scrapper rounds just make sure to mine everything up. Alpha rounds have turrets and grinders. Jetpack for you makes this a lot easier too.

Ugh, this makes me want to play this mode again (I have solo-mercenary in all the levels except the newest one; haven't really tried it yet)
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (211 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1012 posts

Apr 23, 2013

are you doing these by yourself, w/ friends, or randoms online?  the reason I ask is it gets incrementally harder the more people you have w/ you. I got all my wins in merc by soloing them.  that was before prospector was included on the server list.  I don't remember/know if there is an option to not have other people join.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (201 Views)
0 Likes
PistoI Proficianado
1136 posts

Apr 23, 2013

wrappy wrote:

are you doing these by yourself, w/ friends, or randoms online?  the reason I ask is it gets incrementally harder the more people you have w/ you. I got all my wins in merc by soloing them.  that was before prospector was included on the server list.  I don't remember/know if there is an option to not have other people join.

Yes there is an option to host private games. Wouldn't really play prospector without it.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (196 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Apr 23, 2013
Well, it depends on tactics too. I think it's easiest with two people (more rift, not as big a jump in difficulty), and hardest with four. Some people also just do better with others, others are better solo.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (185 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1012 posts

Apr 23, 2013

more fun w/ someone else as well. by trhe time I finished grinding the wins for plat, I was done w/ prospector.  I'm going to throw starhawk in, one of these days, just to do the expansion co op, which I bought and never looked at.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (168 Views)
0 Likes