Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
About the Author

The top 14 beta questions from Starhawk... answered!

by Starhawk Community Manager ‎05-04-2012 07:10 PM - edited ‎07-11-2012 04:32 PM

A few weeks ago, we ran a thread to collect your questions about how the Starhawk beta programs were being used to develop the final game, and talk about specific issues you were curious about.  They included items like turret spam, flight ceilings, building limits, and more.  We collected your Top 14 questions and passed them along to Dylan Jobe, the president of LightBox Interactive, to get you answers straight from the source.

And now, we're pleased to present a four part video series featuring the main man himself.  Dylan goes into detail on each of the questions, talking about our design strategies behind specific decisions, what was changed after the beta, and how we come to each of our decisions.

Take a look at the Top 14 videos and see what we had to say about your issue!

Video 1 can be found here, and discusses the lengthy "Melee Kill" animation, the Air-to-Air combat balance, and the strength of the Flak Cannon.

You'll find Video 2 at this link.  It covers the map variety in the final game (with some sneak peeks), pre-built structures, the mini-map, and the flight ceiling.

Video 3 is here, and it includes a discussion on vehicle speeds, how we approach Rift Energy for base squatters / turtle'ers, Torpedo effectiveness against the bubble shield, and the building cap.

Finally, you can find Video 4 at this link.  The final piece of the Q&A talks about strategies to prevent base camping and turret spam, vehicle health bars, and the Loadout system.

We appreciate all of your patience as we created this hearty video segment and can't wait to see you in the New Frontier next week.  Rock on!

Comments
by Lombax Warrior Guilty_D667 on ‎05-04-2012 07:17 PM

LBI does care;')

by Fender Bender highlydangerous9 on ‎05-05-2012 06:46 AM

so does this mean that the reason you arn't doing 4 player split screen because its too complex

also i don't think you answered:

will a hawk charging its torpedo still be able to fly through sheilds because that is one of the biggest problems with the torpedo?

and will the tank be patched so it takes 4-6 maw rockets or are you going to leave it at 3 because it feels incredibaly over powered?

by PlayStation MVP PlayStation MVP on ‎05-05-2012 09:29 AM

For non Facebook and Flash Player - check the videos out on aka youtube - http://starhawkradio.com/blogs/2012/05/04/dylan-delivers-the-14

by Fender Bender Drew5150 on ‎05-05-2012 12:03 PM

I like most of the changes and those new maps look freaking epic!!

The zones base thing is a good idea, but its not only a problem in zones. I'll have to see how zones plays out but sometimes there could be amazing comebacks in zones. A time limit at one base might be an alternative idea.

The rift energy at home base question: I think you missed the point here and you said it yourself, you get energy from the depot and FROM KILLS. A fully stocked superfortress is almost impossible to penatrate, and provides a lot of easy kills for defenders. But the real issue here is fun factor. Take a quick look at warhawk... yeah yeah I know the new players don't like the word warhawk The flag was realatively easy to go grab and start to make a run to leave home base. But it would be a crazy epic battle to move the flag across the map that whole teams took part in. In starthawk its really really tuff to get to the flag. But if by chance you do get it in your hand, you're pretty much going to score it with little challenge across the map. And hawks aren't very much help getting to a flag due to the overuse of laser beam turrets.

There's a question: did you doing anything to the laser beam turrets, or just the little ones that were already not too bad to kill?

Those videos have made me excited though

by First Son yami930 on ‎05-05-2012 12:03 PM

I really loved the videos, but I dont know if its just me, but has the melee system been shown in the game? Like what did those "dramatic changes" come out to be for the Melee system?

Also I would love to see this, but I dont know how possible it is, or if LBI would want to do this, is there any possibility for a Warhawk mode within the game? Meaning pre-built structures and pre-built capturable bases, maybe vehicles already out on the field or pre-built garage areas, a warhawk style knife system, Build and Battle but with restrictions so no wall structues or respan becons or vehicle spawn structures, but there can be the turrets and such things remain and tweaks to the economy rift energy system for that, the sticky lock on aim system from a distance just like Warhawk, players drop back packs with their weapons and with the rift energy filled with it and more. So basically it will still obviously hold Starhawk elements like pod spawning, limited build and battle, rift energy, no health bar, sprinting and many more but it would feel more like a direct sequel and people from warhawk can more comfortably transition to Starhawk, for example like my sister and a few friends I know, Warhawk was the only shooter they played because they were actually competitive and can play and help others out, while playing the starhawk beta they felt its one of the many shooters they just cant play because she is not on par with other higher level players. So a starhawk game mode of difficulty mode (similar to a hardcore mode) heavily influenced and executed like Warhawk, I would think it expands the player base and audience of the game and many more of those Warhawk players will carry over to the new game. We can only hope and dream

by Lombax Warrior bitbydeath on ‎05-05-2012 03:32 PM

I'd like to know if there will be smaller maps than the current "small" ones.

Some of my favourite levels were Fortress, Close Quarters and also the small Eucadia level, i forget the name of it.

by Lombax Warrior ShoryukenII on ‎05-06-2012 12:15 PM

Will there be a video recorder? I usually don't use these things but this game is different.

In the beta, I was trying to get the flag against a turtling superfortress enemy base in Dust. It was like a meat grinder. The few other people trying and me were getting killed over and over again. So we snuck into their base from the back and we were spotted. All hell broke loose. There were 3 Hawks in mech form, a tank and an entire enemy base of bots. I couldn't tell what was going on so I ran to get the enemy's flag. I jumped onto a burning vehicle and jumped into their wall and grabbed the flag.

An enemy idiot opened the door for me to escape so I jumped onto the nearest sidewinder and sped out in all of the confusion. By the time they had realized that the flag was gone, I was 1/4 across Dust. I could see a gang of sidewinders behind me in the distance. I knew that Hawks were faster than sidewinders so I knew that a Hawk would be coming after me soon. So I turned my camera around while I was riding and a Hawk was right behind me shooting at my sidewinder in the 3/4 across Dust.

I tried to dodge his attacks but he damaged my sidewinder so I hopped off. He landed in mech form and was hit by two laser beams. I turned around and saw that my teammates hopped into tanks and saved me. So I built a new sidewinder and rode into our base. There was like 15 seconds on the clock. I tried to score the point but our flag was guarded by walls (they were backwards).

I panicked and tried to figure out how to get in as the clock was ticking. We needed this point to win. So I built a sniper tower, climbed up and was going to jump in but the game ended.

I don't know if there is a video recorder but this game needs it more than any other shooter that currently exists. Something similar to Uncharted TV would be nice to see.

by Lombax Warrior ShoryukenII on ‎05-06-2012 12:15 PM

Make more videos like this please.

by Lombax Warrior LucasKobe3peat on ‎05-07-2012 04:50 AM

totally agree

by First Son Zhenya1969 on ‎05-10-2012 05:21 AM

I ask all the time, - include SIXAXIS.  without it PRO flight strongly limited.