Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
About the Author

All Starhawk map packs will be free!

by Starhawk Community Manager ‎05-08-2012 08:30 AM - edited ‎07-11-2012 04:29 PM

Today's our big launch day for Starhawk here in North America, and you might think that would be enough excitement for us in one day.  But once you get hyped up on the adrenaline of releasing a game, you just want to keep the fun times going! 

So with that, we're very pleased to announce that all map packs for Starhawk are going to be made available free of charge. 

Back in the Warhawk days, we saw a lot of division amongst our players whenever we'd release a new set of maps.  Some people would have them, some wouldn't, and it ended up fracturing our community.  But during the Starhawk development cycle, the teams at Sony and LightBox sat down with the intention of addressing this problem in the most simple and elegant way possible. And that led to our decision that any future map pack releases would be offered for free, to keep players together and keep our community happy. 

We will have some DLC in the future that's paid content, but we're still working on the details on what that's going to be.  But for the immediate future, we're already working on our first map pack release to supplement the ten maps already packed on the disc.  Our first new locale is Cypress, a lush, swampy world that’s home to an abandoned research facility that many years ago was responsible for researching the mysteries of Rift Energy.  You can preview it below!

We're really excited to finally share our game with the world and can't wait to hear what you think about it.  As we've said for a while, Starhawk is a marathon and not a sprint.  Even though we release our disc today, we're still planning regular updates, content packs, and more.  We'll also be coming to you for your feedback in the weeks ahead to see what you'd be interested in for Starhawk's future.  We have big plans for the game, and hope that you'll join us in the New Frontier to see where we're going.

Comments
by Gaming Beast mule-tool Gaming Beast on ‎05-08-2012 08:33 AM

Sweeeeeeet! 

by Gaming Beast SpaceNun on ‎05-08-2012 08:36 AM

As an old time player from Warhawk fairly critical of this game I think this is one major step forward  and it will keep your community together during the hard months. This game seriously needs maps and more of them and in more combinations. Sony should take this bold step and link it with its other properties as much as possible and you would garner more loyal fan bases imo.

by Monster Hunter DJS2879 Monster Hunter on ‎05-08-2012 09:50 AM

This is how map packs should be done. No one likes to be left out of a map just because they didnt buy it.

Great job LBI, thank you for bring some balance back to PSN and the gaming industry.

by First Son defpedro on ‎05-08-2012 10:33 AM

that is awesome!!!  I'm bummed out by one thing...your site said I would get a month free of playstation plus when I bought the LE version and it is not...Is this going to be added later?  Please let me know.

by I Only Post Everything CrummySaint I Only Post Everything on ‎05-08-2012 10:36 AM

This is the way to do it - Give away the maps, sell hats.

by Survivor ArabrockermanX Survivor on ‎05-08-2012 12:40 PM

Wait you guys aren't going to charge us $15 for map packs? I thought that was the standard

by First Son Officer_Kermit on ‎05-08-2012 08:50 PM

So awesome! Thank you!

by Fender Bender Drew5150 on ‎05-09-2012 12:21 PM

Awesome! Can you please add prebuilt home bases to these maps. I don't mean a few structures. But fully stocked. A d disable BnB in home base. Force people to get out and use the map and build some surrounding structures. Home base battles are kinda boring.

by First Son KingTygerVII on ‎05-09-2012 05:41 PM

I do like the idea but why is it I fear the paid content will be to high? like 2 new vehicles for 9.99.... that be... ugly... anyways, great game, I have to wait a week to see servers full and people talking cause every time I play its so silent I hear a guy crash landing on the other side of the map(exagerated hahaha)

by Wastelander Pytlaks on ‎05-09-2012 09:34 PM

Thank god. One big player pool is the way to go.

by Monster Hunter pcfreak4 on ‎05-10-2012 03:46 PM

Awesome!!!

I'm all out of money from buying this game!!!

by Fender Bender Subtenko Fender Bender on ‎05-13-2012 10:31 AM

Should we start posting our request here or will there be a specific thread for it? I love this game but I would like to see more:

1. Indoor maps (With cool light fx n stuff espeicially)

2. Dark maps, pretty much an almost blackout map where we have to use a few spotlights to spot players.

3. Some kind of unlimited rift mode for homeworlds at least (We try to make race tracks with the walls for sidewinders)

by PlayStation MVP PlayStation MVP on ‎05-15-2012 10:39 PM

Thanks so much for this LBI! I loved the lush trees in Dust during the beta!

Can you guys also include a densely populated forest/jungle map with trees with a sky as bright as the one in Dust?

by First Son Lcslick First Son on ‎05-18-2012 06:43 PM

U guys are awsome for doing this.With this one move you have gained a loyal customer. Also i would love to see the bikes get a machine gun on the front in the future, since when your on a bike and an enemy goes past you on one, you can't do anything. But trying to chase them down on one of the large maps would be a great battle.

by First Son Convict365 First Son on ‎05-19-2012 02:04 PM

Oyeah this will be great

by Lombax Warrior theDemolisher13 on ‎05-28-2012 09:41 AM

That's great. But why don't they let us make are own maps (like the terrain/landscape editor in MODNATION) If your with me on this click the like butten.

by First Son randfoo2005 on ‎06-01-2012 05:53 PM

cool Thank you

by First Son Chrveggon16 on ‎06-01-2012 06:07 PM

\m/ Awwwwww Yeahhhhhh \m/

by First Son joshjoel9698 on ‎06-04-2012 06:59 PM

night time and a forest but lik dark

by First Son mbsb811 on ‎06-08-2012 06:46 PM

This is awesome! Hey all you developers! this is the greastest idea ever! You all should do this so no online communities are seperated! jk lol

by Lombax Warrior theDemolisher13 on ‎06-09-2012 09:18 AM

This is great, but here's an Idea. Why not have the whether change during the gameplay to shake things up. Why I say that, well some wether might help one team out a little but the change and help the other team then, and it would be more like reality. Besides the point, it would be like real world whether. I think that would be easy to put in and if it dosn't work you can always pull it out.