Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 19 2008
By: jagsforever Fender Bender 3987 posts

umps are humans and sports is just a game

6 replies 2 views Edited Jun 19, 2008

after I got done reading this article...kind of sickens me

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3450245&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

umps are humans...who cares if they make the wrong call (well ok, I understand, its frustrating, just like any other sport that has a bad call) but when you team work on the guy...its bs

just watching the video when the catcher (brother of the pitcher) ducks, puts his glove up and then all the sudden, drops it and ducks at the same time, thats something else right there. Ok...yeah..just look at the video...he puts the glove up in front of the catcher and drops it...how the hell will you stop a curve ball like that? and the coach believes it?

he's a ump doing his job, from worse to bad to how great of a job he is doing...it doesn't matter...sports is a game and he didn't deserve this even though he had the protection gear to protect him from being very well killed possibly, it does't matter, just dirty.

and I love how the ump got a lawyer...these 2 kids could regret doing this for a VERY long time

thoughts?

Fan of
KC Royals
Jacksonville Jaguars
Missouri Tigers
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14203 posts

Re: umps are humans and sports is just a game

Jun 19, 2008

That's messed up. It sure looked like an intentional beaning to me.

Both the pitcher and the catcher should be punished, but that is college. What penalties could they possibly put on those 2?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10950 posts

Jun 19, 2008

I am an umpire I can tell you things don't feel good no matter how much padding you have on.......

thats pretty messed up, that was a high school game which means umpiring is that guys hobby, or a way to stay in touch with the game while making a few extra gas dollars......................

thats often lossed, in little league, senior league, high school your not getting professional umpires, rather your average everyday people, calling things the way they honestly see them.......

the mind will quickly blind things, you see what you want to see, if your team has a close play at second, you will believe he is safe, no matter how out he is........

there was a game in my town the other day, where one team was literally threatening to murder the other team, the arguement got very graphic, the kids were 15-16 years old............sportsmanship is on a rapid decline, and most of it, starts with coaches and parents...not the umpires 

the other day I made a close call at second, and I heard parents cussing and swearing and being general jerks......after the game the parent approached me and said "just because you are given a hat and shirt doesn't make you and umpire" to which I said "just because you have a kid, doesn't make you a parent"

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear
is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness,
that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?
Actually who are we not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people
won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine as children do.
We were born to make manifest
the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And when we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19011 posts

Jun 19, 2008

s*PLAYA* wrote:

sportsmanship is on a rapid decline, and most of it, starts with coaches and parents...not the umpires 

"

All of it starts with parents IMO. Parents today do nothing but ride their kids and get on them if they don't do well. 

A weird analogy but it's kind of like raising a dog, if you raise it to be vicious it's going to be, not matter what type of dog. But if you raise your dog properly even the most vicious of dogs will be extremely nice.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14203 posts

Jun 19, 2008

BlueIce5249 wrote:

s*PLAYA* wrote:

sportsmanship is on a rapid decline, and most of it, starts with coaches and parents...not the umpires 

"

All of it starts with parents IMO. Parents today do nothing but ride their kids and get on them if they don't do well. 

A weird analogy but it's kind of like raising a dog, if you raise it to be vicious it's going to be, not matter what type of dog. But if you raise your dog properly even the most vicious of dogs will be extremely nice.

Not a wierd analogy at all.

Viciousness, just like unsportsmanlike conduct or rudeness, is a learned behavior. If a parent is belittling and/or berating an ump/ref/judge in front of a kid, that kid then sees it as acceptable behavior.

Almost all of the problems in society, and not just in sports mind you, can be traced back to the parents (or lack of parents in some cases).

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Jun 19, 2008
It's the way the world is heading.  Sad to say.
Message Edited by Lakermania on 06-19-2008 03:12 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6139 posts

Jun 19, 2008

s*PLAYA* wrote:

I am an umpire I can tell you things don't feel good no matter how much padding you have on.......

thats pretty messed up, that was a high school game which means umpiring is that guys hobby, or a way to stay in touch with the game while making a few extra gas dollars......................

thats often lossed, in little league, senior league, high school your not getting professional umpires, rather your average everyday people, calling things the way they honestly see them.......

the mind will quickly blind things, you see what you want to see, if your team has a close play at second, you will believe he is safe, no matter how out he is........

there was a game in my town the other day, where one team was literally threatening to murder the other team, the arguement got very graphic, the kids were 15-16 years old............sportsmanship is on a rapid decline, and most of it, starts with coaches and parents...not the umpires 

the other day I made a close call at second, and I heard parents cussing and swearing and being general jerks......after the game the parent approached me and said "just because you are given a hat and shirt doesn't make you and umpire" to which I said "just because you have a kid, doesn't make you a parent"

That is very funny and clever.  People blame the refs way too much, nobody focuses that they are right 90% of the time, they blame them for losing the game.  The refs do influence a game but to blame a loss on a bad call is ridiculous.  There are lots of calls and plays that I do not agree with but I then think of the alternative where they find someway to remove refs and replace them electronically, I enjoy that human element to sports.

In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (2 Views)
0 Likes