Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 13 2008
By: MikeGrim Keyblade Wielder 10100 posts

Worst Situation to Witness in Sports (Retitled for people who don't read)

25 replies 1 views Edited Jul 13, 2008

I was watching Sports Center and saw back-to-back clips of Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez and started thinking, "wow, they still play?"

Which brings me to my question. What's the worst thing to watch in sports:

1)
Injuries limiting a promising career. The player that has everything ahead of them, considered one of those players that will become a Superstar, an all-time great only to have an injury or a set of injuries limit their effectiveness and ultimately ruin their career.

-Ki-Jana Carter: Talented RB whose knee exploded on this third carry in a pre-season game… Finished his career with just over 1,100 yards.

2) A player never living up to his potential. The player who is thought to be one of those players who could become one of the greatest of all-time, but once they hit the Pro's they have absolutly terrible careers.

-Alexander Daigle: 616 games and only 327 career points from a guy who had 247 in 2 seasons in the QMJHL.
-Ryan Leaf: His career started with a spark that quickly became nothing more then a joke. We all know the story.

3)
An athlete who holds onto his career just too long. Be it for records, money, or ‘athletic drive’ these players try to play well into an age where their skill has left them and it becomes a shame to watch them struggle where once they dominated.

-Muhammad Ali: Arguably his last four fights, but more to the point his last two fights against Berbick and Holmes at almost 40 years old were just too many fights.
-Guy Lafleur: One of the greatest to play comes back after three seasons out of the league to see point totals of 45, 34, and 28 with the
Randers and Noriques. A shameful way for a career 1,353 point player to end his career.

There are MANY more on all sides of this, I’m sure everyone here can name at least one person I didn’t to all three of these. I’m just curious of what people think is worse to watch.

Personally, I think it’s #3. Injuries can’t be avoided in most cases, and busts happen, but to watch someone who has been amazing for so many years just fizzle out but try to hold on and keep his career going is just hard to watch. You remember what they used to be like and hope to see some flash of that, but instead they can’t manage to do it and they just look pathetic.

Message Edited by MikeGrm on 07-13-2008 09:53 AM
PSN: TheGrimTruth
Message 5 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9774 posts

Re: Worst Thing to Watch in Sports...

Jul 13, 2008
Ah, I hate this.

It has to be 3 for me as a boxing fan. In other sports it might be injury but since boxing is on my mind more then anything else, it has to be a fighter who stays to long past his prime. Specifically a fighter to because a boxer has no teammates to pick him up or a coach to lighten his minutes, a tennis player doesn't either but you don't have to worry about a great tennis players brain getting scrambled either.

Good thread, all tough things. I hate the Cubs but Mark Prior is a sad sad story, watched his debut and he looked ridiculous. Same with Francisco Liriano. Just not any fun to watch at all but at least they for the most part have their health. Maybe a bum shoulder but look at guys like Meldrick Taylor who fought waaayy past their best and against the best in the world and paid not the ultimate price but close to it.

Another thing, anytime I see players on a knee on the field in football I cringe. I remember the great game the Jets-Lions had a while back, one of the best games I've ever seen but unfortunately all that was put on the backburner when Reggie Brown had his horrible injury. It's just a terrible terrible thing.

JUUUUDDAAAHHHHH
Message 1 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1890 posts

Jul 13, 2008
atlanta braves baseball
Photobucket
Message 2 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10100 posts

Jul 13, 2008

braves#1 wrote:
atlanta braves baseball

Try reading the OP... Just a thought.

PSN: TheGrimTruth
Message 3 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3338 posts

Jul 13, 2008
Soccer
Peetsuh
Message 4 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18129 posts

Jul 13, 2008
WNBA
Message 6 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
228 posts

Re: Worst Situation to Witness in Sports (Retitled for people who don't read)

Jul 13, 2008
It sucks to see it all happen but it happens.
Message 7 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6750 posts

Jul 13, 2008

MikeGrm wrote:

Which brings me to my question. What's the worst thing to watch in sports:

1)
Injuries limiting a promising career. The player that has everything ahead of them, considered one of those players that will become a Superstar, an all-time great only to have an injury or a set of injuries limit their effectiveness and ultimately ruin their career.

-Ki-Jana Carter: Talented RB whose knee exploded on this third carry in a pre-season game… Finished his career with just over 1,100 yards.

Yeah I remember to this day watching Bo Jackson get tackled and the tackle killed his NFL career.

The worst event to see is when a player of any sport suffers an injury that leaves him paralized for life.  

P_K Nation
Message 8 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1890 posts

Jul 13, 2008
well it has to be injuries
Photobucket
Message 9 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21294 posts

Jul 13, 2008

I'm always most annoyed by players not living up to their potential.

I think you can plan and adjust for injuries, even of the career ending variety, as sad as that is to see, and old players never really tarnish their legacies enough to me to really hate them. No one remember what Unitas did in San Diego or what Hakeem did in Toronto (or was it Orlando? Maybe that was Ewing...).

But players not living up to their potential bothers me a lot. Jamaal Tinsley could be one of the NBA's elite point guards, because he's quite easily comparable to Jason Kidd when he's playing to his highest level, but he doesn't have the interest to play at that level. Stephon Marbury could've led KG and the T'Wolves an NBA Championship, but he wasn't willing to do that.  

Message 10 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes