Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 12 2008
By: amat2to0~ Keyblade Wielder 9774 posts

Wladimir Klitschko - Tony Thompson (links to watch inside) Fight Live Now!

5 replies 8 views Edited Jul 12, 2008
OK, so heavyweight title bout today in Hamburg, Germany. Klitschko is pretty close to being a heavyweight kingpin, Tony Thompson is a good fighter though. Tall, 6'5 southpaw who doesn't have one outstanding attribute but instead just seems to do everything right. But it's going to take more then a solid all around fighter to beat Klitschko. Secretly though I am rooting for Thompson. I doubt it happens.

For those without HBO, here are some websites that are streaming it. I'm not sure if any of these are going to be showing the HBO broadcast or the Setanta (UK version of HBO basically) but either way you should be able to see the fight at any of these locations.
Message Edited by amat2to0 on 07-12-2008 03:07 PM

JUUUUDDAAAHHHHH
Message 3 of 6 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9774 posts

Re: Wladimir Klitschko - Tony Thompson (links to watch inside)

Jul 12, 2008
**bleep**! my computer clock is an hour behind the broadcast is live now.

JUUUUDDAAAHHHHH
Message 1 of 6 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9774 posts

Jul 12, 2008
Well...it's over. Didn't miss much really.

JUUUUDDAAAHHHHH
Message 2 of 6 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9774 posts

Jul 13, 2008
Message 4 of 6 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17872 posts

Jul 13, 2008

Man... dude.... is it just me or did it look like Thompson took a serious dive at the end there.  He took a good hit to the jaw and then fell back holding his head?  The hit was OK and all... but really... was it enough to knock him down like that?  Guess Id on't know since I've never been hit by klitschko.  Another thing I didn't like is the fact that Thompsons was doing very good in the first half of the fight but the announcers were talking as if he hadn't even hit K yet. 

I used to like WK but as of now... he's turning into a B fighter with all his holding, tackling, and jab cross hold technique.  I might actually enjoy watching him get his azz handed to him... if that ever happens and I'm sure it will within this year or the next.  Just pressure him pressure him and don't stop hitting and it might be lights out for WK.

Message 5 of 6 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9774 posts

Jul 13, 2008

I haven't seen the HBO broadcast yet but they are legitimately googly eyed in love with Vitali Klitschko and he's trained by Manny Steward so I don't think they are even allowed to say a bad word about him in fear of falling out with Manny.  Sad but true. 

Thompson was definitely looking for an out in the 10th, and then got hit with that punch, at first I didn't think it was much but it looks like in the replay that Thompson didn't see it.  I think the deal with holding the head is because he put his elbows a lot mainly to block the left hook of Klitschko which wasn't a factor in the fight and I think he just got caught doing that and his body froze on the way down.  To his credit he did give a spirited effort in the 11th right before he got KO'd.  Was the best round of the fight imo so Thompson is a nice guy, I'm glad he went out on his shield but he was definitely on the verge of a mental breakdown, I thought he was going to quit after getting tackled in the 10th.  Saved a lot face not doing so I think.

Everyone is a bit critical of Klitschko, next for him is most likely 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist Alexander Povetkin. Povetkin's a cool dude no doubt, he invaded the final press conference for this fight with a double decker bus full of Russian Models dressed in army uniforms and handed out Russian Vodka.  This trumped Englishman David Haye's effort of simply showing up to call out Klitschko.

Povetkin rolls with some fine ass Russians too.

Pay attention next time he rolls into the ring. I know I will, nothing better then hot Russian chicks.  Well maybe there is but still.  In the meantime I'll take the one on the left please.

A lot of people think Povetkin isn't ready but to be honest this division is the worst division I've ever seen.  I mean just a terrible, awful division.  Povetkin and American Cris Arreola (who is fighting David Tua next) at least bring some youth and vigor to the division.

I think Klitschko's big problem, one of them is that he fights at the pace of his opponent.  If his opponent is not willing to take chances, Klitschko will more then ablige like against Ibragimov earlier this year, Ibragimov was scared to get inside on Klitschko and Klitschko used his left hand the whole fight only throwing a few right hands the entire time.   Thompson came out in the 11th with energy and put together some punches, landed his best combo of the fight a straight left followed by a right hook and then Klitschko strang more punches together then any time in the fight.

Same with Sam Peter a couple years back.  Peter had him in trouble several times, knocked him down 3 times and had a ton of confidence but Wlad responded with energy of his own and even had Peter out on his feet in the final round.  So if you can get Povetkin in there with him, it will force Wlad to pick up his energy level which in the end is good for the fans.  

Problem is Povetkin takes a lot of punishment from the outside to get inside but he is durable and very high octane.  His bout with Eddie Chambers (who I'm a big fan of) was a very entertaining bout at heavyweight.

I think Wlad wins but he won't win being ultra careful.  So that's a good thing.

Also, it's becoming more and more obvious that Wladimir Klitschko is a one dimensional fighter. He has a great outside game, a great jab, great right hand, great power ect.  His footwork against Thompson looked good because Thompson is so slow of foot but his footwork isn't all that great and he literally has no inside game.  His entire game consist of holding on inside and somehow being impervious to refs warning him.  It's unbelievable, any other fighter this side of John Ruiz who holds as much as night in and night out as Klitschko would have had multiple point deductions throughout their career. So that aspect of his game to me is begging to be exposed by someone who can slip him outside and get the ref on their side to the point where they won't tolerate the holding.  

Povetkin might be that guy but again I doubt it.  Still want to see it though.

The other guy out there is David Haye.  Like I mentioned before, cruiserweight champion from England.  I don't think he will beat Klitschko but he does have speed and he was a really hard hitter at cruiserweight, not sure how that will carry.  Of course as the English always do, they have him as a shoe in to beat Klitschko which is garbage as Haye makes so many fundamental mistakes it's not even funny not to mention he probably has more of a china chin then Klitschko.  But it is an intriguing fight.  He's literally been stalking Wlad following him around, meeting up with him at random places to call him out.  Problem is he hasn't had a fight at heavyweight yet.

I'll use an English term and call him a complete and utter **bleep**.  The English and Steve Bunce have completely bought into his farcical talk.  Still no fight at heavyweight though.

His last fight versus Enzo Mac.  He claims Wlad is exactly like Enzo, ok David.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=beSvupzdMMY

Him calling out Wlad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PajyMdfS8G8&feature=related

His escalator showdown with Wlad (must watch, Wlad really gets the better of him her, turned me from a Wlad hater to someone who really likes him, just not in the ring.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jnOANul82Tw

Classic. Klitschko came off the better in that one. He wasn't taken off guard,
he clearly isn't scared of Haye and didn't stutter. His accent is
hilarious for one, and he was so calm while Haye was talking a million
miles a minute and then this gem drops.

Haye: I'm bigger then Evander Holyfield

Klitschko: Really?

Haye: ...Yeah I am

Klitschko: Yeah?

Haye: Yeah really

Message Edited by amat2to0 on 07-13-2008 01:55 PM

JUUUUDDAAAHHHHH