Big Daddy
19014 posts

Re: Time To Abolish The DH?

Jun 17, 2008

MikeGrm wrote: 

I disagree. I can do without the "strategy" to keep some of my players safe. I think taking the DH out of the AL is asking for trouble, and I much prefer seeing hitters hit, not pitchers flail at the ball and run around in coats.

Not all pitchers flail, there are more than a few good hitting pitchers out there. I'd love to see some strategy put back in the AL.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Message 51 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4572 posts

Jun 17, 2008

BlueIce5249 wrote:

blb552000 wrote:
There are arguments for both sides. And its apparent that whatever league your team is in is what is going to drive your opinion. Wang getting hurt running bases is a poor example of the validity of the DH. What it is a good example of is that he obviously does not condition the way he should.

I personally feel like either both leagues should have it or neither league should have it. There are some pretty good hitting pitchers out there, and im sure if some of the other pitchers took time to take some BP then they could improve their hitting as well. Using the DH to simply prevent a pitcher from getting injured is a weak excuse, using it to replace what may be a very weak hitter with a great glove is a much better example IMO. If the sole purpose was to baby the pitchers so they dont get hurt then why make any of the other postion players hit? The answer will take you back to utilizing it to replace the weakest hitter on your team. A good example would be Khalil Greene, they guy is a very good fielder and one of the top fielding SS's in the game, but he is definitely not as highly regarded as a hitter. Using the DH to replace his somewhat weak bat to being able to keep his glove is something that could be considered as good a strategy as anything you could do with a pitcher (Sac bunt/hit and run etc...)

It seems somewhat ridiculous that the DH has been used solely for pitchers when there have been times where some of the pitchers on a team may be better hitters and than some of the fielders on the team.

If you are only using it to replace pitchers take it out, if it can be used to replace anyone in the lineup let it stay...but again either keep it in both leagues or get rid of it in both leagues.

Not always true, Im an Indians fan and I cant STAND the DH.

But I agree that it either has to be accepted or rejected by both leagues. If you really like the DH a valid argument IMO would be the offense it produces and fans it draws, but even thats a stretch. Pitchers getting injured is the weakest excuse out there, it's part of the game. They have just as much of a chance getting hurt warming up as they do running the basepaths. I would LOVE to have CC hit all the time. If he got hurt then it would suck, but its part of the game.

Your one of the exceptions, there have been a few to go against what their league is doing but most in the AL like it and most in the NL dont like it.

I agree the injury excuse is lame, Pitchers get hurt on the mound too, and if they get hurt pitching or hitting the injury is stil going to suck the same.
Greatest NBA Players ever

1) MJ
2) Shaq
3) Lebron

Wrong PSN ID, my main one is BLB552000
Message 52 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19014 posts

Jun 18, 2008

blb552000 wrote:
I agree the injury excuse is lame, Pitchers get hurt on the mound too, and if they get hurt pitching or hitting the injury is stil going to suck the same.

Exactly, injuries are a part of the game...they're going to happen.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Message 53 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3997 posts

Jun 18, 2008

BlueIce5249 wrote:

MikeGrm wrote: 

I disagree. I can do without the "strategy" to keep some of my players safe. I think taking the DH out of the AL is asking for trouble, and I much prefer seeing hitters hit, not pitchers flail at the ball and run around in coats.

Not all pitchers flail, there are more than a few good hitting pitchers out there. I'd love to see some strategy put back in the AL.

There's strategy in the AL, it's just different than in the NL. Instead of having to worry about pinch hitting for your pitcher, in the AL you have to actually worry about pitching to the DH instead of a pitcher. As I stated previously in this thread:

The argument goes both ways. It takes a bit of strategy out of the game with the DH and not having to worry about pinch hitting for the pitcher, but it's also another hitter that the opposing manager has to worry about pitching to. In the NL, 1 out of 9 guys in the lineup is pretty much an automatic out, so you don't have to worry about having your best relief pitcher in there to pitch to him.

You make it sound like in the AL all the manager has to do is sit back and watch the game - maybe take a quick snooze in the 6th inning. I don't think it's quite that bad.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 54 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
14654 posts

Jun 18, 2008

DH = rest for the pitchers.

DH = Balanced games between rested pitchers vs. extra batter.

DH = why the AL > NL.

Message 55 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes