Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 17 2008
By: amat2to0~ Keyblade Wielder 9774 posts

The Olympic Boxing Thread

19 replies 1 views Edited Jul 17, 2008
OK, I know this isn't covered by ESPN but come on people, respond. Sports general and 3 sports take up almost all the discussion. The Olympics are around the corner, this should be front and center, the biggest sporting event in the world. No one is interested? Hopefully they are.

Now, in addition to being a pro boxing fan, I dabble into the amateur game a little too. Now that the Olympics are finally here just about and most countries have already had their qualifiers, I think it's fair to talk about the U.S. gold medal chances. Now, dating back to 1996, the U.S. has had a whopping total of 2 gold medals in boxing A sport we used to dominate we have essentially mailed in to the Cubans and Eastern Europeans despite our best efforts. Our only two Gold medalists have been David Reid in Atlanta and Andre Ward in Athens.

With that being said, here are some guys to be legitimately excited about.

Firstly, the guy everyone in the boxing world has high hopes for. American flyweight Raushee Warren. PLEASE watch the video on this guy. Check out how fast his hands are. Really do it, they are some of the fastest hands you will ever see. He hits hard and he can put his punches together with the best of them. With Guillermo Rigondeaux, the Cuban sensation who will not be in Beijing, out, Warren has to be the favorite to win gold. I really hope he does it, the guy is great.

Here he is at the recent Team USA versus Team Puerto Rico in Philadelphia versus another top flyweight and fellow Olympian Carlos Ortiz. A top 5 ranked fighter and check out Warren in action. Give me 3 minutes at least, 3 minutes that's all you need to be wowed by this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XMJxeB_x_s

I will add on to this later as I have been called away but enjoy that. Best hope for Olympic Boxing Gold imo, Raushee Warren.
Message Edited by amat2to0 on 07-17-2008 10:28 AM

JUUUUDDAAAHHHHH
Message 20 of 20 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6139 posts

Re: The US' Best Shot At Olympic Gold

Jun 30, 2008

amat2to0 wrote:
OK, I know this isn't covered by ESPN but come on people, respond. Sports general and 3 sports take up almost all the discussion. The Olympics are around the corner, this should be front and center, the biggest sporting event in the world. No one is interested? Hopefully they are.

Now, in addition to being a pro boxing fan, I dabble into the amateur game a little too. Now that the Olympics are finally here just about and most countries have already had their qualifiers, I think it's fair to talk about the U.S. gold medal chances. Now, dating back to 1996, the U.S. has had a whopping total of 2 gold medals in boxing A sport we used to dominate we have essentially mailed in to the Cubans and Eastern Europeans despite our best efforts. Our only two Gold medalists have been David Reid in Atlanta and Andre Ward in Athens.

With that being said, here are some guys to be legitimately excited about.

Firstly, the guy everyone in the boxing world has high hopes for. American flyweight Raushee Warren. PLEASE watch the video on this guy. Check out how fast his hands are. Really do it, they are some of the fastest hands you will ever see. He hits hard and he can put his punches together with the best of them. With Guillermo Rigondeaux, the Cuban sensation who will not be in Beijing, out, Warren has to be the favorite to win gold. I really hope he does it, the guy is great.

Here he is at the recent Team USA versus Team Puerto Rico in Philadelphia versus another top flyweight and fellow Olympian Carlos Ortiz. A top 5 ranked fighter and check out Warren in action. Give me 3 minutes at least, 3 minutes that's all you need to be wowed by this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XMJxeB_x_s

I will add on to this later as I have been called away but enjoy that. Best hope for Olympic Boxing Gold imo, Raushee Warren.
Message Edited by amat2to0 on 06-29-2008 11:46 PM

I generally only watch the Winter Olympics.  There are few events I actually like at the summer games.

In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous
Message 1 of 20 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8695 posts

Jun 30, 2008

boxing is so stupid.

im only interested in basketball @ these olympics

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 2 of 20 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1000 posts

Jun 30, 2008

Basketball should be intresting in Olympics

Also Soccer

Message 3 of 20 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6735 posts

Jun 30, 2008
Dont worry, as soon as they start, (8th of August right?) The threads will be all over the place:smileywink:
Message 4 of 20 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15424 posts

Jun 30, 2008

pspfreak213 wrote:

Basketball should be intresting in Olympics

Also Soccer

I don't think we will win the gold in basketball(again)

Message 5 of 20 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6735 posts

Jun 30, 2008
I think Greece stand a chance in B.Ball, i always see there b ball games on a sport channel over here, also, i think japan will win in football for some reason
Message 6 of 20 (1 View)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19011 posts

Jun 30, 2008
Actually I think the sure shot Gold will come in the swimming pool from Michael Phelps. The most underrated athlete in all of sports.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Message 7 of 20 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15424 posts

Jun 30, 2008

BlueIce5249 wrote:
Actually I think the sure shot Gold will come in the swimming pool from Michael Phelps. The most underrated athlete in all of sports.

He is a lock I think for at least a couple of golds.

Message 8 of 20 (1 View)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19011 posts

Jun 30, 2008

ohGr wrote:

BlueIce5249 wrote:

He is a lock I think for at least a couple of golds.

Definitely. I dont think anyone dominates a sport like he dominates swimming.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Message 9 of 20 (1 View)
0 Likes