Do you mean 
Gaming Beast
2570 posts

Re: Texas retiring Durant's & Young's number

Jul 19, 2008

Dollar_Bill wrote:
Young is an NFL bust...
No he aint.

You looked at his W-L colum? Um...Just cuz the stats arent there doesn't mean hes a bust 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10603 posts

Jul 19, 2008

Gp5basketball wrote:

Dollar_Bill wrote:
Young is an NFL bust...
No he aint.

You looked at his W-L colum? Um...Just cuz the stats arent there doesn't mean hes a bust 

Hmmmm.... Maybe he has a running game behind him and a defence. I don't know that maybe a reason cuz  makeing the play offs last year was because VY threw 9 tds and 17ints right?

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21107 posts

Jul 19, 2008

What does Young's career in Tennessee have to do with his career at Texas?

Last I checked, a retired number was indicitive to the time spent at said location. This topic has nothing to do with Young's NFL career. Why are we even putting up with it?

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8225 posts

Jul 19, 2008

Dollar_Bill wrote:

Gp5basketball wrote:

Dollar_Bill wrote:
Young is an NFL bust...
No he aint.

Hmmmm.... Maybe he has a running game behind him and a defence. I don't know that maybe a reason cuz  makeing the play offs last year was because VY threw 9 tds and 17ints right?

Don't forget to add how crappy his receivers were last year. you need a receiving core to have a good QB too, you know?

I've lost so many relationships
Is it just because I don't relate to ish?
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 19, 2008
2 words: It's Texas.
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
616 posts

Jul 19, 2008
I understand Vince Young but I just don't see how you can retire a player's number after just 1 season.

PS3 owner since 12/7/06 | G.A.P member since 2004
PLAY B3YOND
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1375 posts

Jul 19, 2008
As I live here in Austin, I can tell y'all that Vince Young is viewed so highly here, it isn't even funny. At least once a week I'll see someone wearing his #10 on the back of a Texas jersey. Young revitalized the Texas football program from 25 years of being mediocre and turned UT into National Champs. Without a doubt, Vince Young's number should be retired, the fans were calling for it. He will join the likes of Heisman winners Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell as the UT football players, whose numbers have been retired. As for Durant, he too was viewed very highly here, but only for the single year and isn't as followed as much as Vince anymore. But Durant broke quite a few records at UT, thus why I think they are retiring his number. Another reason for retiring Durants number is the fact that UT have only retired one player's jersey number before, T.J. Ford's (#11.) So they could add another one if they wanted too, without there being much of a problem. I could also see Daniel Gibson's number retired, due to the fact that he holds a few 3-point records at UT and has been fairly successful in the NBA.
Message Edited by kharvick2921 on 07-19-2008 03:06 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2331 posts

Re: Re: Texas retiring Durant's & Young's number

Jul 19, 2008
Young I understand. Not Durant though.
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21107 posts

Jul 19, 2008

kharvick2921 wrote:
As I live here in Austin, I can tell y'all that Vince Young is viewed so highly here, it isn't even funny. At least once a week I'll see someone wearing his #10 on the back of a Texas jersey. Young revitalized the Texas football program from 25 years of being mediocre and turned UT into National Champs. Without a doubt, Vince Young's number should be retired, the fans were calling for it. He will join the likes of Heisman winners Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell as the UT football players, whose numbers have been retired. As for Durant, he too was viewed very highly here, but only for the single year and isn't as followed as much as Vince anymore. But Durant broke quite a few records at UT, thus why I think they are retiring his number. Another reason for retiring Durants number is the fact that UT have only retired one player's jersey number before, T.J. Ford's (#11.) So they could add another one if they wanted too, without there being much of a problem. I could also see Daniel Gibson's number retired, due to the fact that he holds a few 3-point records at UT and has been fairly successful in the NBA.
Message Edited by kharvick2921 on 07-19-2008 03:06 AM

But see, Ford did something for Texas. He took them to their first Final Four since 1947 (when in those days, it was eight teams). Durant did a lot individually, but the team was bounced in the second round by USC (which is who Vince Young is celebrated for beating). I think it's gotta be a mutual showing. I don't agree in retiring a good player's number just because he was good if he didn't do anything for your team. Especially when they were in the Elite Eight the year before AND after his prescence. If there are specific rules like "Gotta be national player of the year," I understand, because Durant was, but it seems they're trying to open it up to celebrate more athletes that have come through, and I'm not a fan of picking Durant for that kind of thing.

I'm glad Indiana doesn't retire numbers, but that'd be like the Hoosiers retiring Eric Gordon's #23 because he set basically every freshman record despite an embarassing showing in the NCAA Tournament for a proud basketball school. You can retire Michael Beasley's #30 at Kansas State if you want because he resurrected Kansas State basketball (maybe). You can retire #33 Larry Bird at Indiana State because the Sycamores will never ever again be in that position. But I'm not a fan of retiring Durant on the basis for what he accomplished, because he didn't accomplish anything for the school, only things individually.

But that's just my take on it. If they want to retire his number, that's their call.

Message Edited by VII Says Goodbye on 07-19-2008 10:45 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1890 posts

Jul 19, 2008

what are you talking about. young isnt a bust.

lol 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes