Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Last Guardian
13352 posts

Re: Retire Babe Ruths Number 3 Throughtout Baseball!!!

Jul 11, 2008

Sparx88 wrote:

NeatElite wrote:
ruths daughter has good intentions but i think that robinsons number should be the only number universally retired. single biggest player in baseball history. ruth is right up there but this honor belongs to one man only imo.

I think you could  probaby make a case as to why Ruth's number should be retired but not exactly the way his daughter has it. Also I agree that Robinson's number should be retired universally but I'd go that one step further and have them retire Larry Doby's number as well because with all the attention Robinson grabs people sometimes forget about Doby. MLB even allowed his number to be worn alongside Robinson if desired. Its not like he beat Doby by much as they were brought in about the same time.

Or better yet now that I think about it, instead of having it retired universally, let Robinson's number be retired for all NL teams and Doby's for all AL teams. I think that would be the classy thing to do.

ah yes, larry doby certianly deserves his due. problem is that history and baseball has really only remembered robinson as the first black person to play mlb so its not fair to doby thats for sure. and i agree, retiring both numbers would be a classy move. therein lies another problem. if they do that for doby, ppl would strenghten their arguement for ruths number to be retired universally. if his number is retired, then hank aarons sholuld be too. the list would not end. 

Message Edited by NeatElite on 07-10-2008 09:00 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 17 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3623 posts

Jul 11, 2008

NeatElite wrote:

Sparx88 wrote:

NeatElite wrote:
ruths daughter has good intentions but i think that robinsons number should be the only number universally retired. single biggest player in baseball history. ruth is right up there but this honor belongs to one man only imo.

I think you could  probaby make a case as to why Ruth's number should be retired but not exactly the way his daughter has it. Also I agree that Robinson's number should be retired universally but I'd go that one step further and have them retire Larry Doby's number as well because with all the attention Robinson grabs people sometimes forget about Doby. MLB even allowed his number to be worn alongside Robinson if desired. Its not like he beat Doby by much as they were brought in about the same time.

Or better yet now that I think about it, instead of having it retired universally, let Robinson's number be retired for all NL teams and Doby's for all AL teams. I think that would be the classy thing to do.

ah yes, larry doby certianly deserves his due. problem is that history and baseball has really only remembered robinson as the first black person to play mlb so its not fair to doby thats for sure. and i agree, retiring both numbers would be a classy move. therein lies another problem. if they do that for doby, ppl would strenghten their arguement for ruths number to be retired universally. if his number is retired, then hank aarons sholuld be too. the list would not end. 

Thats a good point but I dont think it would come to that. Just like Jackie Robinson changed the game when he came into the league Ruth also changed the league during his time. He was one of the first athletes to be looked up to as a role model and because of that the popularity of baseball grew. Its because of him that the game evolved the way it did and many people view him as the greatest player ever. I think its a good idea but if you dont then just dont sign the petition.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 17 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3014 posts

Jul 11, 2008

NeatElite wrote:

Sparx88 wrote:

NeatElite wrote:

Not necessarily. If they could retire Robinson/Doby's numbers in each individual league like I said then that'd be good. Aside from that I could possibly see retiring Ruth's number simply because he's like the mascot of baseball in that he's more than likely the first person you think of when someone says "baseball" to you. Can't really see making an argument for Aaron though because he's not the first black player and, unless Bonds comes clean, he's not the HR leader anymore. As of right now he's just another great player. I don't think Ruth has any more records but like I said he's more or less the mascot than anything else.

Disclaimer: All trophies are owned and not the result of rentals or falsified profile downloads.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 17 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13352 posts

Jul 11, 2008

bhwinner99 wrote:

NeatElite wrote:

Sparx88 wrote:

NeatElite wrote:

Thats a good point but I dont think it would come to that. Just like Jackie Robinson changed the game when he came into the league Ruth also changed the league during his time. He was one of the first athletes to be looked up to as a role model and because of that the popularity of baseball grew. Its because of him that the game evolved the way it did and many people view him as the greatest player ever. I think its a good idea but if you dont then just dont sign the petition.

yep there is no denying that ruth was one of the major attractions back in the day. baseball really benefited from him and the yanks being so good back then. got ppl interested and ruth became a hero. 

but i think that robinson truly is the greatest ambassador for the game today, even though hes been dead for awhile. his message of strength and determination to go through what he did(not to mention the countless other black ballplayers) to play a game. 

there is no doubt that ruth did as much for baseball as robinson, but ruth never had the roadblocks, the threats, and the feeling of a whole stadium rallied against him just because of his color. imo robinsons number should be the only one retired throughout baseball.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 17 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2331 posts

Re: Re: Retire Babe Ruths Number 3 Throughtout Baseball!!!

Jul 11, 2008
Waste of time. #42 is the only number that will be retired throughout baseball.
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 17 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3623 posts

Jul 11, 2008

NeatElite wrote:

bhwinner99 wrote:

NeatElite wrote:

Sparx88 wrote:

NeatElite wrote:

yep there is no denying that ruth was one of the major attractions back in the day. baseball really benefited from him and the yanks being so good back then. got ppl interested and ruth became a hero. 

but i think that robinson truly is the greatest ambassador for the game today, even though hes been dead for awhile. his message of strength and determination to go through what he did(not to mention the countless other black ballplayers) to play a game. 

there is no doubt that ruth did as much for baseball as robinson, but ruth never had the roadblocks, the threats, and the feeling of a whole stadium rallied against him just because of his color. imo robinsons number should be the only one retired throughout baseball.

I definately agree with your points about Robinson. What Robinson did and went through was one of the most important things not only in sports but in all of history. He is a staple in American history as much as he is in baseball. My point though was that baseball was revolutionized at 2 points in time. In the early 1900s when Ruth played and of course when Robinson played. Ruth's impact to the game wasnt as big as Robinsons but he certainly made a difference in the way the game was viewed and played more than anyone else.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 17 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3418 posts

Jul 11, 2008
I don't think it's lame like some of these people but I won't go so far as to sign it either.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 17 (0 Views)
0 Likes