Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 03 2008
By: offdah3z Keyblade Wielder 10210 posts

Pro players that are unhappy with contracts..

10 replies 2 views Edited Jun 3, 2008

Okay, now this is just a rant.. but, I really don't understand why it seems like more and more athletes are unsatisfied.  This trend has been on the rise and it feels like I'm reading about somebody new daily.  

I wish I could get $50million for throwing a ball around for a few years... IMO, they're overpaid anyway!!  Doctors, and teachers should be reaping high incomes.. not encouraging someone to play sports because "thats where the money is".  Just people like Chad Johnson, Jason Taylor, and Lito Sheppard.

Lito Sheppard - Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Lito Sheppard skipped the team's voluntary workout on Tuesday amid dissatisfaction with his contract and uncertainty about his role on the team.  Sheppard, a two-time Pro Bowler, lost his starting position at left cornerback when the team signed free agent Asante Samuel, who agreed to a six-year, $57 million deal in the offseason. Sheppard is also unhappy with the five-year contract extension he signed in 2004, well before he was eligible for free agency.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/wcStory?contentId=8118850#story=8204956

Will Smith -  Starting defensive end Will Smith, who skipped an offseason training session with the Saints earlier this month because he is unhappy with his contract. Smith, who received about $20 million in bonuses when he signed as a first-round draft choice out of Ohio State in 2004, should earn between $1.8 million and $3 million next season, depending on how many performance incentives he hits.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8190354/DE-Smith,-unhappy-with-contract,-will-report-to-camp

or remember last year with Jamarcus Russell?

I mean, granted, the fortunes being earned by unproven newcomers don't sit well even with some veteran players. For example, look at the top quarterbacks chosen in the past two drafts. Atlanta's Matt Ryan ($34.8 million) and Oakland's JaMarcus Russell ($32 million) will receive more guaranteed money through their rookie contracts than any quarterback in NFL history besides Indianapolis' Peyton Manning and Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger.

But, in the end, just play dangit!! And be happy you're earning 7 figures for playing a GAME. >.<

Give me Kudos, or give me death!
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Re: Pro players that are unhappy with contracts..

Jun 3, 2008
Hell I'd be happy riding the pine for $1M a year
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19011 posts

Jun 3, 2008
I agree, I will never respect any athlete today as much as I respect the old timers. Imagine CC Sabathia taking 4 years out of his career to go serve in Iraq like Bob Feller served in the forces.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8225 posts

Jun 3, 2008
It seems like that's all atheletes are worried about these days. Some dudes get 5 million just for warming the bench.
I've lost so many relationships
Is it just because I don't relate to ish?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3682 posts

Jun 3, 2008
its a shame that many players just play for the bucks,but i guess you want alot when your risking your body everyday for a career.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1298 posts

Jun 4, 2008
they gotta stop crying and that will smith guy is taking it over board.. even Brain urlacher was unhappy but he didnt make a big deal about it . hes at training camp now with is team mates. stop crying ur getting paid millions and ur only making the team worse by asking for more money
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8225 posts

Jun 4, 2008

Supermanwiz wrote:
its a shame that many players just play for the bucks,but i guess you want alot when your risking your body everyday for a career.

Some occupations make you risk your body, even worse, your life. Construction workers, window cleaners, and a lot of other put their own health in danger, but you don't see them having mansions and loads of money. 

I've lost so many relationships
Is it just because I don't relate to ish?
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1399 posts

Jun 4, 2008
yeah I am sick of it and it is one reason why I don't like sportscenter in the offseason.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10210 posts

Jun 4, 2008

NCBoi24 wrote:

Supermanwiz wrote:

Some occupations make you risk your body, even worse, your life. Construction workers, window cleaners, and a lot of other put their own health in danger, but you don't see them having mansions and loads of money. 

good point.  I mean, a construction worker died building the Alamodome just so a bunch of millionaire basketball players could play in it.   Even the practice squad for NFL teams carry home a pretty nice check.  6 figures??? come on..  You dont even have to be a superstar to get paid.  Just make the practice team!  Most athletes shouldn't be above 6 figures just because they eplay a game.. give the money to people who really do risk their lives or save your life. 

Give me Kudos, or give me death!
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1138 posts

Jun 4, 2008

This is pretty much saying what someone else said, but I felt the need to elaborate on this subject since I talk about it often. Myself and a friend of mine always talk about how these players are complaining about making millions of dollars to do something they love. Granted be a professional is no cake walk. They have strict rules to follow and training isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world.

However! I love basketball. To this day I would do anything to play on an organized team again. It's just a fascination of mine that will be with me to the end of my days. Even if I ever got the shot to sit that bench and make the lowest salary possible of what I believe to be about 400k I would be more than happy. The fact that I am at that level playing against other professionals would be the greatest honor of all. It's not just playing at that level that makes it great. You are representing something greater than yourself. You are representing the city you play for, your name, and your family. Have some pride for god's sake.

Sorry to say but most of the players in the NBA are thugs who came from a household of little or no income, and now they are complaining about making millions of dollars. Hey you got a problem with it we can send you back to the hood or trashy life you came from if that's what you want. It's not like the world made you play this sport. You played it because growing up you loved doing it. It wasn't for the money when you played in the streets, in high school, or in college. You were playing for the dream of someday playing in the NBA, and now that you're there you want more. There are very few players left in professional sports that play for the love of the game anymore. Hey if you have a problem making 1-2 million a year come take my year round desk job with your salary and I'll take your job making my salary. I would give anything to be able to play a sport I love AS A JOB!!! O yea how about the fact that if you're good enough you may even some day represent your country in the Olympics. 

I play for the love of the game. Why can't you? 

Message Edited by Break_Stuff on 06-04-2008 08:57 AM
Message Edited by Break_Stuff on 06-04-2008 09:00 AM
"It's not about the one you can live with, but rather the one you can't live without."
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes