Reply
Splicer
Registered: 06/02/2008
Offline
81 posts
 

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008

cardsfan2222 wrote:

DionerNavarro30 wrote:

I'm sorry, but Ryan Howard does NOT get it done at 1B.

 

How can you have 10 errors at that position 1/2 way through the year, that is damn ridiculous. A 2B with those error numbers is only average I mean hell.... Ryan Howard is atrocious defensively. 2 throwing errors when he has gotten to throw the ball, what, 12 times? at most


That was kind of my point, first base is where you stick someone who isn't great fielding. Howard is a DH who is forced to play first because he's in the national league. Being a good fielder isn't really a criteria for being considered one of the better first basemen. A good defender at first is considered a bonus.

Message Edited by cardsfan2222 on 07-11-2008 12:20 PM

I concour.  Similar deal in left field.  You can sacrifice a little D for a little O.




Message 60 of 149 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/02/2006
Offline
1890 posts
 

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008
tex hansnt made an error in 58 straight games and has only made 2 all season. He is the best defensive first baseman in the league. NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT
Photobucket
Message 61 of 149 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/13/2007
Offline
246 posts
 

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008

I am in no way trying to say Tex isnt a great 1B though...

 

My point is only this...

 

Howard, Berkman, Tex, Lee, Pujols, Gonzales, even a guy like Mr. Mustache (Giambi) you really cant go wrong because they all produce big numbers to make up for a meager 10-15 errors that even your worst 1B will top out at. In most cases. A guy like Howard who may be on pace for 20 definitly makes up for it. Case an point his past 2 games against Stl. Game winning HR and a 2 HR game to help then sweep

PSN: eaglesfan522
Message 62 of 149 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/13/2007
Offline
246 posts
 

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008

braves#1 wrote:
tex hansnt made an error in 58 straight games and has only made 2 all season. He is the best defensive first baseman in the league. NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT

 

Casey Kotchman has a huge arguement in that catagory! He has 2 errors this year (both in same game) and 8 errors in 297 carrer games

PSN: eaglesfan522
Message 63 of 149 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/02/2006
Offline
1890 posts
 

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008

that is pretty good but he isnt the hitter tex is.

 

anyway, u couldnt go wrong with any of those players you mentioned, i agree. 

Photobucket
Message 64 of 149 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/16/2008
Offline
335 posts
 

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008

Great, it may be a bonus, but isn't anything over 15 HR, .260 at that position?

 

Just because you want to classify it as a bonus does not mean that it doesn't raise his value.  Certainly its not the same for a SS, CF, or C, but that doesn't diminish what Teixera does.

 

Ryan Howard may mash like no other, but he also strikesout and is incredibally streaky.  He doesn't get on base ((never thought I'd say this about Howard)) but for someone who many people think should be an allstar he needs to have at least a league average OBP ((he is hovering around .320, it was .307 a few days ago.  The league average in 2007 was like .337 or something like that)) because as it is right now he isn't setting up Pat Burrel at all, and it doesn't help that on the basepaths you'd be better off getting 5 people to push a huge boulder around the damn things.

Message 65 of 149 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/23/2008
Offline
2490 posts
 

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008

EaglesLakers wrote:

I am in no way trying to say Tex isnt a great 1B though...

 

My point is only this...

 

Howard, Berkman, Tex, Lee, Pujols, Gonzales, even a guy like Mr. Mustache (Giambi) you really cant go wrong because they all produce big numbers to make up for a meager 10-15 errors that even your worst 1B will top out at. In most cases. A guy like Howard who may be on pace for 20 definitly makes up for it. Case an point his past 2 games against Stl. Game winning HR and a 2 HR game to help then sweep


 

They only took 2 out of three, the Cardinals won the game he didn't homer in.  So far the Cardinals and Phillies are 3-3 against each other...Howard has 5 homers in the 3 they've won, none in the games they lost.  Obviously, he is a big reason they're winning even if he has made more errors.

Message 66 of 149 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/02/2006
Offline
1890 posts
 

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008
but carlos pena is the best first baseman in the game right?
Photobucket
Message 67 of 149 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/13/2007
Offline
246 posts
 

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008

braves#1 wrote:

that is pretty good but he isnt the hitter tex is.

 

anyway, u couldnt go wrong with any of those players you mentioned, i agree. 


 

Yeah Tex is a better power hitter, but first the topic was defense, and second Kotchman isnt a power guy. he never will be either. He is more of a Mark Grace type. Single and Doubles. Maybe in a few years if he gets stronger he could top out at 30HR but I dont see him as more than 20-25 tops. But can drive in 100 runs even with lower HR numbers. He is very clutch. If you couldnt tell I am a Angels fan, so my opinions are based on watching his games not just numbers.
PSN: eaglesfan522
Message 68 of 149 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/16/2008
Offline
335 posts
 

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008

The best first baseman in the league is Albert Pujols, Braves.

 

Have I ever shown signs of being a homer, ever??

 

Anyway, back to a relevent argument.

 

Really cardsfan?  They win when he homers, driving in runs.  Well I'll be darned I thought this was golf and we wanted to put up zeros across the board.  I bet that the Cards with more than not when Pujols homers.  I wonder why that is....  That doesn't say anything about how he is helping the team because anyone who hits a home run is helping with the win, no matter if its Howard or not.  I know, I know, your point is that Howard hits alot of home runs and therefore helps his team win more than people who don't, but people who get on base are more productive.  Don't bring in the fact that Howard has more runs than Pujols because Howard has an allstar blasting home runs to drive him in.  Everyone knows that Pujols is the better run producer than Howard.

Message 69 of 149 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes