Lombax Warrior
246 posts

Re: Matt Holiday on the block!

Jul 11, 2008
Those are this year I am talking career here... he is a 281 road hitter with 20 out of 89 HR on the road in the pas three years 2005 to 2007
PSN: eaglesfan522
Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 149 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Jul 11, 2008

Matt Holliday is one of the great players in the game today.  Nobody can argue that.

Not to mention how clutch this guy was in the postseason last year.

Numbers aren't everything.  but recent stats are more relevant than what he has done in the past because he was still developing into what he is now, one of the greatest baseball players around today!

Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 149 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Jul 11, 2008

Forumite wrote:

cardsfan2222 wrote:
With Boras as his agent, I wonder how much he will get when he is a free agent. Jayson Stark is saying that Boras is going to start the bidding for Teixara at 23 million a year after this year, so you have to expect he will want to do at least that for Holliday.

Tex is far more proven than Holliday is and Tex wont even get 23 mil per. Teams are throwing their money into pitching as they realize that is what this game is reverting back to, he might get 19-20 but not anymore than that. Holliday will be lucky to get 16-18.

That's just rediculous.  He's average offensively when you compare production to others at his position.

Message Edited by Goldfinger81 on 07-11-2008 10:44 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 149 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1585 posts

Jul 11, 2008

Goldfinger81 wrote:

Forumite wrote:

cardsfan2222 wrote:
With Boras as his agent, I wonder how much he will get when he is a free agent.  Jayson Stark is saying that Boras is going to start the bidding for Teixara at 23 million a year after this year, so you have to expect he will want to do at least that for Holliday.

Tex is far more proven than Holliday is and Tex wont even get 23 mil per. Teams are throwing their money into pitching as they realize that is what this game is reverting back to, he might get 19-20 but not anymore than that. Holliday will be lucky to get 16-18.

That's just rediculous.

I really hope you are joking.

2 gold gloves, will hit career HR #200, come close to 100th career hit, career .371 OBP and will have his 5th straight 30 homer/100 rbi season. How is that not more proven?

Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 149 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Jul 11, 2008
Look at other NL first basemen like Berkman, Pujols, Fielder, Gonzalez, Howard, Lee .  He's a middle of the road guy... 

Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 149 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1585 posts

Jul 11, 2008

Goldfinger81 wrote:
Look at other NL first basemen like Berkman, Pujols, Fielder, Gonzalez, Howard, Lee .  He's a middle of the road guy... 

You dont get the importance of 5 straight 30/100 seasons (and this is only his 6th) do you? How many Gold Gloves have those guys won, Tex will get his 3rd this season.

I think you are more hung up on only home runs because out of the ones you listed only Pujols is a better, more complete player than Tex is.

Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 149 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
246 posts

Jul 11, 2008
First base is a loaded position, but you cannot deny that all of those names are all top calibur hitters. As far as Defense it is important but all these guys play it well enough to get the job done. The difference between a gold glove and the lesser guys isnt huge. Liek it is at other positions.
PSN: eaglesfan522
Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 149 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2490 posts

Jul 11, 2008

Forumite wrote:

Goldfinger81 wrote:

You dont get the importance of 5 straight 30/100 seasons (and this is only his 6th) do you? How many Gold Gloves have those guys won, Tex will get his 3rd this season.

I think you are more hung up on only home runs because out of the ones you listed only Pujols is a better, more complete player than Tex is.

Lee has 2 gold Gloves, Pujols has one.  I would agree that Teixara is a middle of the road guy, just because he's a better defender than some of the others doesn't mean much.  You typically don't have to be as great of a fielder to play first base. 

Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 149 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
335 posts

Jul 11, 2008

I'm sorry, but Ryan Howard does NOT get it done at 1B.

How can you have 10 errors at that position 1/2 way through the year, that is damn ridiculous.  A 2B with those error numbers is only average I mean hell.... Ryan Howard is atrocious defensively.  2 throwing errors when he has gotten to throw the ball, what, 12 times? at most

Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 149 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2490 posts

Jul 11, 2008

DionerNavarro30 wrote:

I'm sorry, but Ryan Howard does NOT get it done at 1B.

How can you have 10 errors at that position 1/2 way through the year, that is damn ridiculous. A 2B with those error numbers is only average I mean hell.... Ryan Howard is atrocious defensively. 2 throwing errors when he has gotten to throw the ball, what, 12 times? at most

That was kind of my point, first base is where you stick someone who isn't great fielding. Howard is a DH who is forced to play first because he's in the national league. Being a good fielder isn't really a criteria for being considered one of the better first basemen. A good defender at first is considered a bonus.

Message Edited by cardsfan2222 on 07-11-2008 12:20 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 59 of 149 (0 Views)
0 Likes