Message 1 of 14 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2966 posts

Re: K-Mart in Denver

Jul 14, 2004

,mikeGTAkilla wrote:
ESPN's David Aldrigde reports K-mart has agrreed on a contract with Nuggets

Melo and K-Mart damn will be a very smart move IMO. Then you got Voshon Lenard puttin up trays lol. Well someone mentioned Kobe going to the Nuggets I guess this votes him out?
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
649 posts

Jul 14, 2004
i dont think he would go to Denver where his trial is but what a good combo that would be Melo,Kobe,    K-Mart, now theyd need a 7 foot big man

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2966 posts

Jul 14, 2004

,null,

LAS VEGAS - Tom Petty once sang, "The waiting is the hardest part." The Denver Nuggets might find that to be true.

Talks broke down Tuesday between the Nuggets and the New Jersey Nets.

So instead of the Nuggets acquiring restricted free-agent power forward Kenyon Martin in a sign-and-trade deal, he is expected to sign a front-loaded offer sheet with them, most likely today, for the maximum contract amount of $82.3 million over six years.

However, there are strong signs the Nets will match the offer, which would tie up Denver's money during the 15-day waiting period.

"I don't know (why talks broke down)," Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe, who did not attend the first day of the Reebok Vegas Summer League to address a family matter, said in a telephone interview. "They just stopped talking."

Asked if that's an indication the Nets are ready to match, Vandeweghe said, "It could be."

Another negative for Denver was the salary cap being set at a surprisingly low $43.87 million. Vandeweghe said that could give the Nuggets "very little" flexibility during the likely 15-day waiting period on Martin.

The Nets wanted to trade for power forward Nene, but the Nuggets wouldn't budge.

New Jersey officials weren't keen on a package involving draft picks and weren't interested in forward Nikoloz Tskitishvili.

"I had a conversation with (Vandeweghe) and we weren't able to come to an agreement," New Jersey president and general manager Rod Thorn said. "So the ball is back in their court. When we get an offer sheet, we'll analyze it."

Asked if he anticipates the Nets would match, Thorn said, "We've said all along we'd like to retain the player."

Thorn said it's the team's "prerogative" to take the entire 15 days.

Vandeweghe said Martin has said he prefers the Nuggets over the Atlanta Hawks, who also can offer a maximum contract. Vandeweghe wouldn't directly say an offer will be made but said the Nuggets "want to get him" and that something will be done today.

Indications are there is plenty of concern in Denver's camp. Team officials apparently have given their word to Martin on a contract offer, so there might be nothing they can do except make one and hope.

The Nuggets can pay Martin next season 25 percent of the $43.87 million cap ($10.97 million). They will front-load the contract, which figures to include a signing bonus of more than $15 million.

The Nuggets can offer up to 25 percent of Martin's $82.3 million total package as an immediate bonus. However, for cap-number purposes, the bonus is prorated over the life of the contract.

If Martin gets a $15 million bonus, that would be $2.5 million against the cap for each of the six years. Under that scenario, Martin's first-year base salary couldn't be more than $8.47 million, and he would end up getting about $23.5 million for next season.

Also, the Nuggets can pay 70 percent of Martin's first-year salary up front. But that's less of a deterrent.

Because the salary cap only went up $30,000, that also affects the contract structure for Nuggets center Marcus Camby, who has agreed to re-sign for about $60 million over six years.

Camby, whose first-year cap number will be between $9 million and $10 million, has agreed to be flexible in how his deal is structured to clear enough room for an offer to Martin.

"We may have to fine-tune some things," Camby's agent, Rick Kap-lan, said. Kaplan said Camby flew to Denver on Tuesday night and he expects his client to sign today.

If there are delays because of some numbers getting moved around and the Nuggets preparing the offer sheet for Martin, Kaplan said it's possible Camby's signing could be put off a day.

The Nuggets will have just enough money to not need to buy out the contract of guard Voshon Lenard. Today is the deadline for his $3 million contract for next season to be bought out for $250,000.

When asked if the Nuggets will waive Lenard, Vandeweghe said, "I doubt it." Denver's thinking has been Lenard only would be let go if the team found a better shooting guard.

Vandeweghe, though, said it's possible Denver might need to renounce restricted free-agent forward Chris Andersen to clear enough cap room. That would make him unrestricted.

"A lot of teams are interested in Chris," his agent, Marc Fleisher, said.

"We just have to see what happens with Kenyon Martin."

If the offer to Martin is matched, the Nuggets, who entered the off-season with the ability to carve out about $23 million of cap room, will have several options.

They can make a big trade or sign free agents to one-year deals, saving cash for next year, when there could be several top free-agent shooting guards available, including Tracy McGrady, Ray Allen, Michael Redd and Joe Johnson.

ETC.: The Nuggets opened summer-league play Tuesday night with a 111-103 loss to the Boston Celtics. Tskitishvili led the Nuggets with 27 points, while center Francisco Elson added 17. "I need to get in better shape," said Tskitishvili, who had only three rebounds in 35 minutes . . . Chinese officials might allow center Xue Yuyang, whose draft rights are held by Denver, to arrive in Las Vegas later this week . . . Agent Glen Schwartzman said the contract free-agent Nuggets center Michael Doleac will sign today with the Miami Heat is worth $12 million over four years. The fourth year is the player's option . . . Guy Zucker, agent for Nuggets free-agent forward Ryan Bowen, said 12 teams have inquired about his client, but he's in no hurry to sign. Zucker said Denver remains a possibility, but Zucker said Bowen found it "very frustrating" he played so little last season and wants regular minutes . . . Agent Mark Bartelstein said it would be "tough" for the Nuggets to still havea shot at Minnesota restricted free-agent Trenton Hassell if they have to wait 15 days on Martin.,

Message Edited by T-Mac_MVP on 07-14-2004 09:25 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
649 posts

Jul 14, 2004

,T-Mac_MVP wrote:

,mikeGTAkilla wrote:
i dont think he would go to Denver where his trial is but what a good combo that would be Melo,Kobe,    K-Mart, now theyd need a 7 foot big man

I dont think Denver would want to give up all that Cap Room

yea and i forgot they still got Nene....fear the Nuggets next year...they would have been better if they kept Jammer Nelson biggest steal in NBA draft

Message Edited by mikeGTAkilla on 07-14-2004 06:28 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2966 posts

Jul 14, 2004

,mikeGTAkilla wrote:

,T-Mac_MVP wrote:

,mikeGTAkilla wrote:

yea and i forgot they still got boozer....fear the Nuggets next year...they would have been better if they kept Jammer Nelson biggest steal in NBA draft

yea i guess they can be somewhat noticed this comming up year since they made it to the playoffs.

***BTW: Check my post mikeGTAkilla I edited it lol*** found more news on the K-Mart situation

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
649 posts

Jul 14, 2004

,T-Mac_MVP wrote:

,mikeGTAkilla wrote:

,T-Mac_MVP wrote:

,mikeGTAkilla wrote:

yea and i forgot they still got boozer....fear the Nuggets next year...they would have been better if they kept Jammer Nelson biggest steal in NBA draft

yea i guess they can be somewhat noticed this comming up year since they made it to the playoffs.

***BTW: Check my post mikeGTAkilla I edited it lol*** found more news on the K-Mart situation

i looked at it and found something wierd..look at this

They can make a big trade or sign free agents to one-year deals, saving cash for next year, when there could be several top free-agent shooting guards available, including Tracy McGrady, Ray Allen, Michael Redd and Joe Johnson.

i think this migh be a lil old..... LOL ..........but its a nice article

Message Edited by mikeGTAkilla on 07-14-2004 06:35 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2966 posts

Jul 14, 2004

,mikeGTAkilla wrote:

i looked at it and found something wierd..look at this

i think this migh be a lil old..... LOL ..........but its a nice article

Message Edited by mikeGTAkilla on 07-14-2004 06:35 AM

yea I guess it is a lil old but they said they updated it today so new stuff is in there
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
649 posts

Jul 14, 2004
i was sittin there readin it and i'm like the Rockets just got him and are already ready to get rid of him or its old but i got it they didnt want to write a whole new article

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12617 posts

Jul 14, 2004
denver is making moves....got to respect that.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (2 Views)
0 Likes