Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 26 2008
By: wazoo11 Fender Bender 3861 posts

If the Lakers win the title, does Kobe = Jordan?

44 replies 1 views Edited May 26, 2008

I was at the Basketball hall of fame in Springfield,MA.I ran into Tommy Heinsohn(Boston Celtics legend).He thinks Kobe is a top ten player of all time if he wins another title.

I grew up idolizing Jordan even though i'm a Celtic fan. I thought he was the best player ever and nobody would ever compare to him. I also am a Kobe hater. But IMO if the Lakers win the title I think Kobe reaches Jordan status and basically ties him for the best player to ever play the game. How can he not? They both are ultra competitive and take over games at the end, they both scored around 30 ppg, they both averaged around similar #s in rebounds, assists, and steals, they both are top defensive players, both decent 3 pt shooters. They also both have their signature high scoring games as well as both having hit a number of game winning shots. Jordan may have a few more signature shots in the playoffs (shot over Ehlo, the layup vs LA, the shot over Russell, the shrug after hitting 6 threes vs POR) and Jordan has 6 titles. Kobe's 3 titles came with one of the most dominant big men in NBA history but if he wins one without Shaq I think you gotta consider him Jordan's equivalent. How can you not? Theyre basically the same player.

Thoughts?

"
Message 1 of 45 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1769 posts

Re: If the Lakers win the title, does Kobe = Jordan?

May 26, 2008

the kid is good but not good enough

I'll say this much though he's the best since 

want to hear about my tv
wait is this the tv thread?
Message 2 of 45 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12093 posts

May 26, 2008

wazoo11 wrote:

I was at the Basketball hall of fame in Springfield,MA.I ran into Tommy Heinsohn(Boston Celtics legend).He thinks Kobe is a top ten player of all time if he wins another title.

I grew up idolizing Jordan even though i'm a Celtic fan. I thought he was the best player ever and nobody would ever compare to him. I also am a Kobe hater. But IMO if the Lakers win the title I think Kobe reaches Jordan status and basically ties him for the best player to ever play the game. How can he not? They both are ultra competitive and take over games at the end, they both scored around 30 ppg, they both averaged around similar #s in rebounds, assists, and steals, they both are top defensive players, both decent 3 pt shooters. They also both have their signature high scoring games as well as both having hit a number of game winning shots. Jordan may have a few more signature shots in the playoffs (shot over Ehlo, the layup vs LA, the shot over Russell, the shrug after hitting 6 threes vs POR) and Jordan has 6 titles. Kobe's 3 titles came with one of the most dominant big men in NBA history but if he wins one without Shaq I think you gotta consider him Jordan's equivalent. How can you not? Theyre basically the same player.

Thoughts?

this would only be his first title in which he was #1 guy on the team though. if he were to ever make it to jordan status it wouldnt happen for awhile.

Message 3 of 45 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
613 posts

May 26, 2008
Yeah i agree with you but Kobe cant dunk from the free point line.. :-p
-------------------------------------------------------------

Gamebattles?
Message 4 of 45 (1 View)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2213 posts

May 26, 2008

kobe is not another Micheal Jordan. even though i'm a lakers fan. MJ is MJ the one that won six titles, got numerous awards, said to be the greatest. Kobe on the other hand is Kobe the one that won three titles and in my opinion is the best player since Micheal Jordan. I just don't like when people say kobe is the next MJ. There two completly different guys and i'm sure kobe would just like to be kobe and doesn't want to be compared.

"Expect the Unexpected"

6 wins till NBA champs. GO lakers

D5-Red5hadow, former XFB

Photobucket
Message 5 of 45 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
805 posts

May 26, 2008
Kobe is the more skilled player imo. MJ could never score 81 in a game, nobody can besides Wilt, especially in this era. Plus nobody can ever outscore an entire team by himself after 3 quarters, Kobe will be the greatest of all time imo when his career is over.  Plus if Kobe wins the title this year then that really says a lot considering he does not have a Pippen or a Rodman.
Message Edited by drownedfish on 05-26-2008 02:05 PM
Kobe Bryant And Pau Gasol Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 6 of 45 (1 View)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2213 posts

May 26, 2008

if kobe wins the title this year, it would be a accomplishment for him. it's been a long way since he brought his team in the finals and with young teammates that he's made better.

"Expect the Unexpected"

6 wins till NBA champs. GO lakers

D5-Red5hadow, former XFB

Photobucket
Message 7 of 45 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5291 posts

May 26, 2008

No, The only one tht can currently reach MJ status is Lebron.

But he needs to win a title first 

Signature removed by Admin due to size violations. Please observe the 150kb limit.
Message 8 of 45 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3067 posts

May 26, 2008
Kobe needs to LEAD a team to at least 2 championships before making this comparison. WOW, Kobe scored 81, Wilt avg over 50 for a season and he hardly even gets mentioned as best player ever. Plus MJ dropped 63 on Bird and the Celtics IN THE PLAYOFFS! I dont even think Kobe is in the top 5 yet, but he might get there eventually. Kobe has very good team right now, Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol are quality big men that Jordan never really had. Derek Fisher is a quality pg. So if he wins a title it wont be surprising, because his team has quality talent
Message 9 of 45 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
805 posts

May 26, 2008
Kobe has made more game winners then MJ actually.  Last time I checked Kobe ahs like 30 and MJ has 28?  Its very close to that.  Just thought id throw that out there.  And Wilt dosnt get mentioned cause of his era he was in.  It wasnt as impressive.
Kobe Bryant And Pau Gasol Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 10 of 45 (1 View)
0 Likes