Re: Floyd Mayweather Retires.

Jun 7, 2008

pspsareawesome wrote:

Bad_Intentionz wrote:

pspsareawesome wrote:
and how old is he?

31.  XD

must be nice

Retiring at 31 absolutely loaded? Somebody sign me up for some boxing classes.
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 41 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4070 posts

Jun 7, 2008

Its weird to see him retire. Firstly, he is pretty young and is still in great shape to fight. Secondly, the Mayweather v De La Hoya fight would garner him millions and millions of dollars, win or loss. He must have something up his sleeve, because I cant really belive it. Unless he really doesn't care for boxing anymore.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 41 (0 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
27979 posts

Jun 7, 2008
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 41 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3682 posts

Jun 7, 2008

He said his retirment was a hard decision, he just wasn't feeling challenged and lost the love of the sport and won plenty of money was def the best. beat notables like zab judah,ricky hatton, oscar del la hoya,carlos baldomir,arturo gatti,Diego Corrales,jose luis castillo twice. DEF had worthy fights, dont hate the guy is a legend.

“I loved competing and winning and also wanted to continue my career for the fans, knowing they were there for me and enjoyed watching me fight,” Mayweather said. “However, after many sleepless nights and intense soul-searching, I realized I could no longer base my decision on anything but my own personal happiness, which I no longer could find.”

Though Mayweather cashed two huge paychecks in 2007, he has lately seemed much more interested in fame than fighting. In the last few years, he evolved from the endearingly **bleep**y “Pretty Boy” to the wealth-obsessed “Money May” who was estranged from his father, De La Hoya trainer Floyd Sr., and uninterested in all but the most lucrative bouts.

In the past year alone, Mayweather has appeared on “Dancing With the Stars,” worked on his record label, served as the honorary starter at the Indianapolis 500 and entered the wrestling ring for a choreographed tussle with the 440-pound “Big Show” at WrestleMania in Orlando, winning what’s currently his final fight with a set of brass knuckles.

“Floyd was a very talented fighter, no question about it, but he got to a particular point where it was just for the money,” said Bob Arum, Mayweather’s longtime promoter with Top Rank before the boxer began promoting his own career. “Which is all right, it’s a professional sport, but there’s nothing wrong with his decision. It’s a rational decision.”

Though fans and promoters have clamored for Mayweather to take on unbeaten welterweight Miguel Cotto or another top competitor in perhaps boxing’s deepest division, Mayweather had repeatedly dismissed the idea. Instead, he was in talks for another fight with De La Hoya, whose own career-ending plans will be altered.

“There comes a time when money doesn’t matter,” Mayweather said. “I just can’t do it any more. I have found a peace with my decision that I have not felt in a long time.”

Message Edited by Supermanwiz on 06-06-2008 11:52 PM
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 41 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2228 posts

Jun 7, 2008
He wasn't feeling challenged?  Both Cotto and Margarito wanted to fight him.  Two up and coming fighters.  Might as well call him Floyd "Sell-Out" Mayweather because all he wants is money.  He has no love for the sport of boxing.  Margarito offered him $8 Mill, Floyd turned it down.  Every TRUE boxing fan knows Mayweather is NOT the best of all time.
projectsr97
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 41 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2570 posts

Jun 7, 2008

I wish he would've stayed long enough to fight that guy...It makes me think he was scared.

But he was amazing, I think he'll come back. 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 41 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9774 posts

Jun 7, 2008

LakerForever24 wrote:
boxing has been dead since the thrilla in manila
You're an idiot. End of discussion.

Anyways, I'm disappointed in this but at least it spares us Mayweather - De La Hoya II, at least he retired before and not after. Oh well, best of luck to him in retirement. I would have absolutely loved Cotto-Mayweather, I am still holding out hope that it somehow happens but if he turned down the money in another De La Hoya fight then I think it really is over.
Message Edited by amat2to0 on 06-07-2008 03:47 PM

JUUUUDDAAAHHHHH
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 41 (0 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1354 posts

Jun 8, 2008
floyd is one of the best every1 expects him to get ko's every fight. he is a defensive fighter and he makes u pay for ur mistakes. he pop shots his opponents. he may not knock u out but his punches damn sure hurt. he is my fav boxer of alltime. i love every last 1 of his fight. ppl get upset about his fights b/c he don't fight the fighter every1 else wants him to fight or they expects him to be like a lil tyson every fight. floyd is a boxer not a hard punching brawler. his defensive is the best y cus he undefeated. and to say any fighter in boxing is scared to fight sum1 is str8 stupid. they have been doing this how many yrs y b scared now. he's the champ he fights who he wants to fight. he had a great career in boxing and he is retiring on top and not a has been wash up.
i write all msg on this forum using my ps3 browser. i can't type long replies & there is no editor so forgive me for any mistakes. cpu crashed. i hate the new msg creator for this forum & now i can't quote ppl.
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 41 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
652 posts

Jun 8, 2008

Bad_Intentionz wrote:
He wasn't feeling challenged?  Both Cotto and Margarito wanted to fight him.  Two up and coming fighters.  Might as well call him Floyd "Sell-Out" Mayweather because all he wants is money.  He has no love for the sport of boxing.  Margarito offered him $8 Mill, Floyd turned it down.  Every TRUE boxing fan knows Mayweather is NOT the best of all time.

8 mill* fight a bum named  margarito?  who has he fought of  any caliber? Didnt paul williams  beat him good> I think so ,  ANd the cotto fight would have been 2 hard to make with forrest , mosely, dela hoya, all of them  have a  berth  to the title.  IM glad he stepped down and  hung up his gloves,  He did alot of  goood  for boxing>.  I cant wait till   wlad  k vs  the beast from the east in november. Thats a real fight,  and  watch roy jones  beat  joe cal,  back to england, JOe cal  a big loud mouth, ROY JONES IS  THE TRUTH!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 41 (0 Views)
0 Likes