Highlighted
Jun 09 2008
By: offdah3z Keyblade Wielder 10210 posts

Coming off Super Bowl win, Strahan to retire

21 replies 2 views Edited Jun 9, 2008
The New York Giants will begin their road to a defense of their Super Bowl title when mini-camp begins on Wednesday. That defense, however, will be attempted without the services of their team leader, Michael Strahan.

Strahan has told FOXSports.com exclusively that he has decided to retire.

After a lengthy and — for Strahan — up-and-down decision-making process, Strahan said he's hanging up the cleats and wanted to finalize a decision before his teammates gathered for their mini-camp. For months, fans, other players, and his own teammates have wondered whether he would return or not.

Strahan finally made up his mind a week ago but wanted to take the extra days to make sure his feeling on the matter was 100 percent.

He has long believed retirement was the route he would choose but the finality of it gave him problems. In the past two years, Strahan said he has spoken with many high-profile retired players and asked for their advice on retired life, the emotions of the decision and how they knew they were done. The one consistent theme was this: Once you're done, it's forever. Thus, the finality was what posed the biggest problem for Strahan in making the ultimate decision.

"It's a tough decision but I wanted to be fair to the Giants and fair to my teammates," he said.

He leaves the Giants as the team's all-time quarterback sack leader and a sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer. He also leaves after having donned the Blue and White more than any player in Giants history.

Message Edited by offdah3z on 06-09-2008 11:00 AM

Give me Kudos, or give me death!
Message 1 of 22 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Re: Coming off Super Bowl win, Strahan to retire

Jun 9, 2008
I'm happy for him that he did come back for one more season and won a SuperBowl.  He's a class act and one of the all time greats.
Message 2 of 22 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19015 posts

Jun 9, 2008
good way to go out, on top!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Message 3 of 22 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8695 posts

Jun 9, 2008

Lakermania wrote:
I'm happy for him that he did come back for one more season and won a SuperBowl.  He's a class act and one of the all time greats.

True, I think it's a cool story how he missed all of training camp and then was elected team capitan and led the team to the Super Bowl.

I wonder how he woulda been remembered if he didn't come back last season tho?

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 4 of 22 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Jun 9, 2008

PSThreezy wrote:

Lakermania wrote:

True, I think it's a cool story how he missed all of training camp and then was elected team capitan and led the team to the Super Bowl.

I wonder how he woulda been remembered if he didn't come back last season tho?

Still as one of the all time greats.  His stats speak for themselves.
Message 5 of 22 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10210 posts

Jun 9, 2008

I was wishin he'd do one more year.. but I guess he got what he fought for so long for..

He really is a great guy and it's sad to see him go, but at least he went out after a win

Give me Kudos, or give me death!
Message 6 of 22 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Jun 9, 2008
This is not shocking at all....came out on top for a championship, is in the aging process and announces retirement...great player, class act, wonderful guy...couldn't have asked for much better career than he had...
Fan of
KC Royals
Jacksonville Jaguars
Missouri Tigers
Message 7 of 22 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
24368 posts

Jun 9, 2008
Goes out just like The Bus.
49ers Sig photo 49ersSig.png
Message 8 of 22 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3623 posts

Jun 9, 2008
I thought hed come back for at least one more year but it really sucks that we're losing him and he definately will be missed. It really didnt hit me that the Giants had won the Super Bowl until I had seen him with the hat on holding the newspaper front cover since hes been with the team basically my entire life. The good news though is that we dont have to look to replace him since we have Osi and Tuck who are going to have great careers.

Message 9 of 22 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6375 posts

Jun 9, 2008
i was hoping that he would come back for one more year with him and osi, that line was fierce.....the giants sure have lost alot of players so i dunno how they will do this year
Message 10 of 22 (2 Views)
0 Likes