Survivor
2973 posts

Re: Breaking Favre News.....

Jul 11, 2008
He's being totally unfair to Aaron Rodgers and the entire Packers organization right now. If he knew he still wanted to play he shouldn't have announced his retirement, but waited until he knew what he really wanted to do. Like I said earlier he's acting like a spoil little brat about the entire thing. He wants his cake and to eat it to.
Message 21 of 81 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
715 posts

Jul 11, 2008

Playboi2778 wrote:
He's being totally unfair to Aaron Rodgers and the entire Packers organization right now. If he knew he still wanted to play he shouldn't have announced his retirement, but waited until he knew what he really wanted to do. Like I said earlier he's acting like a spoil little brat about the entire thing. He wants his cake and to eat it to.

The worst situation for Rodgers would be...

Favre stays one more year to back up Rodgers, he has a poor start to the season, Favre takes over. Aaron Rodgers confidence completely shattered.

If for some insane reason they trade him or release him and the Vikings end up with him (which won't happen but what if), week 1 would be extremely interesting as the Vikings are at Green Bay. 

Message 22 of 81 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5291 posts

Jul 11, 2008
The Packers just released the statement below. Note the fifth paragraph, where the team says Favre would become an "active" member of the team if he is reinstated.

The Green Bay Packers are aware of the latest developments regarding Brett Favre.

Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms. We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion.

Brett's press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement.

The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team.

As a retired player, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with Commissioner Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team.

As with all Packers greats, Brett's legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions.

Brett and Deanna will always be a part of the Packers family.
Signature removed by Admin due to size violations. Please observe the 150kb limit.
Message 23 of 81 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2973 posts

Jul 11, 2008
If he went to the Vikings then he'll win his second Super Bowl and probably MVP.
Message 24 of 81 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21540 posts

Jul 11, 2008

What a monumental cluster... this has become. I mean seriously, can the Packers look any worse in this situation? And I'm actually ON the Packers side on this one. Granted, I've got some personal interest vested in this ordeal, but I imagine my opinion on the situation would be largely the same if my personal investment weren't going to be affected by this.

So I've got two sides to this situation. On one side is the Favre situation itself. Assuming the Packers won't release him, and I would also assume the Packers won't allow him to start, it leads me to believe that he'll be dealt. Now where to? I would personally prefer him to go somewhere that won't be on the Colts schedule. The NFC North would be a terrible situation, because the Vikings could beat the Colts with Favre, and going down in week 2 is so...wrong to me it seems. But I imagine if the Packers have any say in where Favre is dealt, it would be wise to send him to the AFC.

Where in the AFC? Baltimore needs him. Miami needs him. But those two teams are not anywhere close to being competitive. I'm sorry to the Ravens, who I think are still very strong defensively, but Favre can't sew miracles like that at his age. Kansas City could use him and I think Houston could use him. I think the situation with Kansas City and Houston is reliant in a similar situation regarding QBs. How committed to Rosenthal is Houston? I'd think he did very well for them in the time he played last year, and he could be a budding young guy. And what about the QB situation in Kansas City? Is ol' Hermie willing to go back on his rebuilding plan and ditch the QB battle there for a one (or maybe two) year investment in Favre? It could really hurt the young guys there and could stunt their growth (or could prove to be valuable).

I think it plays out like that in most places not Chicago, Miami, Baltimore, or Minnesota. I think teams like Buffalo or NY Jets could make use of someone of Favre's caliber, but I am wary on it all. Though if the Pack have ANY say whatsoever, Favre is not landing in Chicago or Minnesota. From a football standpoint, I think the Packers are in a real pickle and it isn't good for them in any sense of the word. It's no-win for them. Aaron Rodgers gets screwed. The organization gets screwed. The organization HAS to think about moving forward at this point. The fans just want to win, but if Favre returns, that really throws a QB wrench into the future. It really does, because Rodgers doesn't need this.

Of course, the second thing is my invested interest in Peyton Manning's pursuit of most of Favre's records (I would hope he leaves the INT record well enough alone ). I believe that even if Favre comes back and has a servicable year, Manning will still eventually gain those records like yards and TDs, and all of that good stuff, but I tell you the ONE record I think is going to be hardest of all...it's the consecutive game streak. For some reason, that's the ONE record I want Manning to get more than any other.

I want him to break the consecutive game streak set by Favre because I want it to be a testament to the greatness of the Indianapolis Colts organization to not only have the (I'll say he is) greatest QB that will ever play the game, but to anchor an offensive line so dominate and so forceful, that it makes a pretty frail QB in a physical standpoint one of the most durable and toughest men in the league. That's what I want on Peyton Manning's record; That he did great things, and that he was able to do these great things because of one of the greatest offensive lines in NFL history. I want that record. And that's one of the biggest reasons I don't want Favre to come back. 

Message 25 of 81 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2973 posts

Jul 11, 2008
He'll never end up with a team from the NFC North if the Packers do release him.
Message 26 of 81 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
715 posts

Jul 11, 2008

VII Says Goodbye wrote:

What a monumental cluster... this has become. I mean seriously, can the Packers look any worse in this situation? And I'm actually ON the Packers side on this one. Granted, I've got some personal interest vested in this ordeal, but I imagine my opinion on the situation would be largely the same if my personal investment weren't going to be affected by this.

So I've got two sides to this situation. On one side is the Favre situation itself. Assuming the Packers won't release him, and I would also assume the Packers won't allow him to start, it leads me to believe that he'll be dealt. Now where to? I would personally prefer him to go somewhere that won't be on the Colts schedule. The NFC North would be a terrible situation, because the Vikings could beat the Colts with Favre, and going down in week 2 is so...wrong to me it seems. But I imagine if the Packers have any say in where Favre is dealt, it would be wise to send him to the AFC.

Where in the AFC? Baltimore needs him. Miami needs him. But those two teams are not anywhere close to being competitive. I'm sorry to the Ravens, who I think are still very strong defensively, but Favre can't sew miracles like that at his age. Kansas City could use him and I think Houston could use him. I think the situation with Kansas City and Houston is reliant in a similar situation regarding QBs. How committed to Rosenthal is Houston? I'd think he did very well for them in the time he played last year, and he could be a budding young guy. And what about the QB situation in Kansas City? Is ol' Hermie willing to go back on his rebuilding plan and ditch the QB battle there for a one (or maybe two) year investment in Favre? It could really hurt the young guys there and could stunt their growth (or could prove to be valuable).

I think it plays out like that in most places not Chicago, Miami, Baltimore, or Minnesota. I think teams like Buffalo or NY Jets could make use of someone of Favre's caliber, but I am wary on it all. Though if the Pack have ANY say whatsoever, Favre is not landing in Chicago or Minnesota. From a football standpoint, I think the Packers are in a real pickle and it isn't good for them in any sense of the word. It's no-win for them. Aaron Rodgers gets screwed. The organization gets screwed. The organization HAS to think about moving forward at this point. The fans just want to win, but if Favre returns, that really throws a QB wrench into the future. It really does, because Rodgers doesn't need this.

Of course, the second thing is my invested interest in Peyton Manning's pursuit of most of Favre's records (I would hope he leaves the INT record well enough alone ). I believe that even if Favre comes back and has a servicable year, Manning will still eventually gain those records like yards and TDs, and all of that good stuff, but I tell you the ONE record I think is going to be hardest of all...it's the consecutive game streak. For some reason, that's the ONE record I want Manning to get more than any other.

I want him to break the consecutive game streak set by Favre because I want it to be a testament to the greatness of the Indianapolis Colts organization to not only have the (I'll say he is) greatest QB that will ever play the game, but to anchor an offensive line so dominate and so forceful, that it makes a pretty frail QB in a physical standpoint one of the most durable and toughest men in the league. That's what I want on Peyton Manning's record; That he did great things, and that he was able to do these great things because of one of the greatest offensive lines in NFL history. I want that record. And that's one of the biggest reasons I don't want Favre to come back. 

It'll take Manning 6 more seasons to break the record, assuming Favre doesn't come back. Even if Favre does come back, Manning still gets it (IMO). Addai still has 4-5 healthy years, making it more likely that he'll continue playing year after year.

Message 27 of 81 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9774 posts

Jul 11, 2008
I love the people who say Favre is being unfair to the Pack. He wants to play football, that's his choice he is allowed to do so, there is a reason he didn't sign retirement papers.

Aaron Rodgers has absolutely no experience playing in the NFL. What's worse for Aaron Rodgers? Another year on the bench with next to no scrutiny, or to be thrown with his feet to the fire as the guy the team picked over one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time? Come on! Aaron Rodgers isn't going to be the MVP next year. He's going to be a sporatic player, this is almost guaranteed. You can't step in and become great with no rough patches.

Every play he doesn't make, the media is going to ask if Favre could. To say that this isn't fair to Aaron Rodgers is ridiculous, the Packers are putting a RIDICULOUS amount of pressure and scrutiny on Rodgers if they choose him and let Favre go. It's almost unthinkable that they would do this. You're going to tell me that because they drafted Matt Flynn, Brett Favre has no recourse with the Packers? They are overthinking this waaaaaaayyy to much. If this does come to fruition, and Favre is say a Carolina Panther next year, that team is going to have to answer to every mistake Rodgers makes.

Man, this is almost unbelievable. I hate the Packers so I am all for it, but as a Cal fan I feel unbelievably bad for Aaron Rodgers if this happens. From the best gig in football to probably the worst. And without changing teams.

JUUUUDDAAAHHHHH
Message 28 of 81 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19206 posts

Updated: Breaking Favre News.....

Jul 11, 2008
Amid published reports that quarterback Brett Favre has requested his contractual release from the team, the Green Bay Packers released a written statement Friday acknowledging they "are aware of the latest developments" regarding Favre.

Brett Favre announced his retirement from the NFL on March 16.

"Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms," the statement read. "We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion. Brett’s press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement. The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team."

Favre, 38, announced his retirement on March 16 after 17 NFL seasons.

The Packers placed Favre on the reserve/retired list on April 25, meaning that the future Hall of Famer no longer counted against the team's 80-player roster. To be reinstated off that list, Favre simply would have to send written notification to the Packers and the NFL of his intentions to play.

"As always," the team's statement said, "the Packers will do what’s right and in the best interest of the team. As with all Packers greats, Brett's legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions."

Message 29 of 81 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16055 posts

Jul 11, 2008
Well I hope he comes to KC, id really like to see gonzalez get his championship ring. He has worked hard for it and deserves it, I think they could potentially get to the playoffs with farve.
Photobucket
Message 30 of 81 (0 Views)
0 Likes