wait for some gameplay footage to pop up on youtube

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 5 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1585 posts

Re: Anyone get Beijing 2008?

Jul 10, 2008
Im gonna rent it, might keep me occupied for a litle while, but after the Olypics are over, I wouldnt want to have it.
Message 6 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jul 10, 2008

It's actually pretty good. It's more than just crazy button mashing, you actually have to have some good hand eye coordination to compete in some of the events. Like the 100 meter and other races, you have to really time your start or it won't matter how fast you mash the buttons.

Some of the events are really addicting too,  I found myself playing the Floor Excercise over and over again just to get a higher score.

If you like the Olympic games of the past then you will really like this one.

Message 7 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
755 posts

Jul 10, 2008
I thought it was fun too. I agree, if you liked the old one you should like this one. Theres like 35 events, I didn't get to try them all last night. Me and my wife competed in alot of the easier events. The shooting got addicting. Some of the events are hard at first like the shotput, but like anything after a few trys you'll figure it out. I def. can't wait to try it online, I think that will be fun.
Message 8 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Jul 10, 2008

I picked up Beijing 2008 last night and managed to put in about an hour of game play.  My initial impression of the game is that it will take some time to get used to the controls, but after that, many of the events should be rewarding and fun.  I felt like SEGA made some design concession on a few of the events in order to get the game out in time for the Olympics.  Overall, however, it does a good job of re-creating the competition of the old track and field games.  Maybe I’ll see if I can spear a duck.

The good: 

• Many events require precision and timing and don’t rely as much on pure button pounding speed. 
  • Many of the visuals are done well, not great, but well. 
  • There are a ton of events, so you can spend plenty of time on the events you like.

The bad:

• Some events just simply aren’t fun.  They may require some skill and time to master, but they just don’t provide the entertainment value that will motivate you to put in the time to get good.
  • The game makes you wait for it to access the leaderboards every time you post a score, even in the training mode.  This can become quite annoying, especially when you post a score that is no where near your personal best.

I only sampled a handful of the events, but here is what I thought of each one:

50m (track and field) –  SEGA put an emphasis on working the trigger to get a good launch.  It’s an interesting concept, but I think it detracts too much from the running itself.  This is one event that should be about button pounding speed.  They allow you to use either the buttons or the analog stick for running. I tried both.  The stick was faster, but I found myself accidentally hitting the PS button a couple of times and unintentionally pausing the game.  It’s a good event, but you better master the launch out of the blocks. 

High Jump – This event doesn’t rely on button pounding speed. It takes the proper timing for the run-up, which is good.  I like the implementation for this event.

Table tennis – Considering how much I enjoy video tennis, such as Virtua Tennis, I was excited about this event.  Unfortunately I didn’t like the delivery.  To start out, I didn’t like the view (most of the table was blocked by my virtual player).  I also didn’t think the controls were intuitive.  I’ll give it more time, but I’m not sure it’s worth the effort.

Shot put – Good controls.  Overall it’s a fun event.

Discuss – Similar to shot put.  Decent event.

Swimming – Only tried 1 event.  Like the running, the launch is important and will take some time to master.  The counter rotating analog sticks also caused me some grief, but I like the implementation.

Skeet shooting – I’m not sure I agree with their implementation, but I’m sure many people will manage to get pretty good at it.  I couldn’t hit anything and wasn’t too motivated to stick with it.

Gymnastics, Floor exercise – Interesting concept and fairly decent presentation.  I think the interest in this one will fade quickly once you memorize the routine.  Maybe something with Tony Hawk like controls for tricks would have been better.

Archery  - I always enjoyed the timing based archery of the old track and field games.  This one is different with an emphasis on using the analog sticks to aim.  I like the implementation and expect this event to be at its best when going head to head with another opponent.

Diving – 10m platform – Interesting decision SEGA make here with the controls.  You basically have to follow 2 dots around in a circle; one with the right analog stick and one with the left analog stick.  It will take some time to master, but it’s not really that fun.  Again, Tony Hawk type tricks may have been a better design.  I thought the visuals were good, however.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2021 posts

Jul 10, 2008

gatorchad wrote:

I picked up Beijing 2008 last night and managed to put in about an hour of game play.  My initial impression of the game is that it will take some time to get used to the controls, but after that, many of the events should be rewarding and fun.  I felt like SEGA made some design concession on a few of the events in order to get the game out in time for the Olympics.  Overall, however, it does a good job of re-creating the competition of the old track and field games.  Maybe I’ll see if I can spear a duck.

The good: 

• Many events require precision and timing and don’t rely as much on pure button pounding speed. 
  • Many of the visuals are done well, not great, but well. 
  • There are a ton of events, so you can spend plenty of time on the events you like.

The bad:

• Some events just simply aren’t fun.  They may require some skill and time to master, but they just don’t provide the entertainment value that will motivate you to put in the time to get good.
  • The game makes you wait for it to access the leaderboards every time you post a score, even in the training mode.  This can become quite annoying, especially when you post a score that is no where near your personal best.

I only sampled a handful of the events, but here is what I thought of each one:

50m (track and field) –  SEGA put an emphasis on working the trigger to get a good launch.  It’s an interesting concept, but I think it detracts too much from the running itself.  This is one event that should be about button pounding speed.  They allow you to use either the buttons or the analog stick for running. I tried both.  The stick was faster, but I found myself accidentally hitting the PS button a couple of times and unintentionally pausing the game.  It’s a good event, but you better master the launch out of the blocks. 

High Jump – This event doesn’t rely on button pounding speed. It takes the proper timing for the run-up, which is good.  I like the implementation for this event.

Table tennis – Considering how much I enjoy video tennis, such as Virtua Tennis, I was excited about this event.  Unfortunately I didn’t like the delivery.  To start out, I didn’t like the view (most of the table was blocked by my virtual player).  I also didn’t think the controls were intuitive.  I’ll give it more time, but I’m not sure it’s worth the effort.

Shot put – Good controls.  Overall it’s a fun event.

Discuss – Similar to shot put.  Decent event.

Swimming – Only tried 1 event.  Like the running, the launch is important and will take some time to master.  The counter rotating analog sticks also caused me some grief, but I like the implementation.

Skeet shooting – I’m not sure I agree with their implementation, but I’m sure many people will manage to get pretty good at it.  I couldn’t hit anything and wasn’t too motivated to stick with it.

Gymnastics, Floor exercise – Interesting concept and fairly decent presentation.  I think the interest in this one will fade quickly once you memorize the routine.  Maybe something with Tony Hawk like controls for tricks would have been better.

Archery  - I always enjoyed the timing based archery of the old track and field games.  This one is different with an emphasis on using the analog sticks to aim.  I like the implementation and expect this event to be at its best when going head to head with another opponent.

Diving – 10m platform – Interesting decision SEGA make here with the controls.  You basically have to follow 2 dots around in a circle; one with the right analog stick and one with the left analog stick.  It will take some time to master, but it’s not really that fun.  Again, Tony Hawk type tricks may have been a better design.  I thought the visuals were good, however.

thanks

Message 10 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes