That's not good for the Cubbies

Message 21 of 49 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3637 posts

Re: And CC Sabathia Will Pitch For The..... *UPDATED*

Jul 7, 2008

PunkmanDT wrote:
I'm still a little stumped by the fact that the brewers would trade for CC. I get the fact that they're looking to make a playoff push, but in all honesty I'd be shocked if the brew crew could re-sign CC. They're too small of a market to re-sign all the big name players they've brought up through the farm, so giving up another blue chip prospect goes completely against the grain of small market strategy. Just sort of a puzzling move for a team that's going to need to rebuild after most likely losing big name players to free agency in a few seasons.

yeah, they also have Ben Sheets who is a free agent after this season too. I heard though that they are going to try and sign them both in the offseason. The Brewers seems like they are trying hard to keep their good young players. Im pretty sure they have signed Ryan braun and Prince Fielder. But hey if they can't signed either of them then they get tons of draft picks in return.

Message 22 of 49 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4572 posts

Jul 7, 2008

hippystink wrote:

Not really, its not great but its not like its the end of the season either. This is far worse news for the cardinals, who have been overachieving all season long anyway. The Brewers now have a nice 1-2 punch in their rotation, but they are also losing some top prospects and still do not have a better offense than the Cubs. Overall including Starting rotation and bullpen i would still give the nod to the Cubs, and if we are able to dump Marquis and package him with some prospects or maybe Murton plus another prospect or two we should be able to land another quality starting pitcher which would put them ahead of the Brewers again. Harden is on the radar, i just hope Hendry doesnt give away the entire farm to get him.
Greatest NBA Players ever

1) MJ
2) Shaq
3) Lebron

Wrong PSN ID, my main one is BLB552000
Message 23 of 49 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14294 posts

Jul 7, 2008

hippystink wrote:

To be honest, I don't think the Cubs are that worried.

What the Brewers gave up to get Sabathia - IMO - is a bit much for a rent a player for half a season, with no gaurantees of making the playoffs, being able to sign him later (which they probably won't as Milwaukee is a small market team), and their ace pitcher not wanting to discuss contract talks until after the season ends. Which means Ben Sheets is going to leave via feee agency. I'd be surprised if Sabathia or Sheets hung around when the season was over.

The NL and the AL are 2 different beasts. Not every NL pitcher that goes to the AL has success, same thing when an AL pitcher comes to the NL. It'll be interesting to see how this move unfolds.

Milwaukee started off ok, then hit a brick wall, then started right back up again. Sabathia leads the majors in strikeouts which is saying something, but he also gives up plenty of hits and runs and is on pace to give up more than 100 runs for the second time in his career this season. His career ERA is closer to 4 than it is to 3.50. Milwaukee is giving up on average (as of today with 88 games played) almost 4 and a half runs per game (4.49), while they're gaining nearly the same in runs scored (4.61). Giving up one of your top prospects for a pitcher that has an ERA of 3.83 I think is a bit much. Milwaukee could have used a big bat or a player that gets on base and gets RBI's on a consistent basis, which is what I think they should have gone after to help their runs scored. Then gone after someone like say AJ Burnett, who wasn't going to cost them as much but could still help their starting rotation in the long haul to the playoffs and maybe a wild card spot. If that had happened, then I think the Cubs would be a little worried about their hold on the NL Central. But since the Cubs are giving up about 4 runs per game (4.19) and averaging over 5 runs per game (5.34) through 89 games - I don't think there's any cause for alarm at the moment.

Message 24 of 49 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3738 posts

Jul 7, 2008
good for the brewers
Photobucket
Message 25 of 49 (0 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1325 posts

Jul 7, 2008

hippystink wrote:

No, it certainly isn't.

Everyone is saying that the Brewers gave up a lot of prospects so it's not a great trade for them.

So what? It will greatly improve their chances this year, which is what the Cubs are worried about.

I'm worried about the Brewers now. We have to make a move to pick up another starter now.

Jason Marquis simply isn't going to cut it. 

Message 26 of 49 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4572 posts

Jul 7, 2008

Grifter wrote:

hippystink wrote:

To be honest, I don't think the Cubs are that worried.

What the Brewers gave up to get Sabathia - IMO - is a bit much for a rent a player for half a season, with no gaurantees of making the playoffs, being able to sign him later (which they probably won't as Milwaukee is a small market team), and their ace pitcher not wanting to discuss contract talks until after the season ends. Which means Ben Sheets is going to leave via feee agency. I'd be surprised if Sabathia or Sheets hung around when the season was over.

The NL and the AL are 2 different beasts. Not every NL pitcher that goes to the AL has success, same thing when an AL pitcher comes to the NL. It'll be interesting to see how this move unfolds.

Milwaukee started off ok, then hit a brick wall, then started right back up again. Sabathia leads the majors in strikeouts which is saying something, but he also gives up plenty of hits and runs and is on pace to give up more than 100 runs for the second time in his career this season. His career ERA is closer to 4 than it is to 3.50. Milwaukee is giving up on average (as of today with 88 games played) almost 4 and a half runs per game (4.49), while they're gaining nearly the same in runs scored (4.61). Giving up one of your top prospects for a pitcher that has an ERA of 3.83 I think is a bit much. Milwaukee could have used a big bat or a player that gets on base and gets RBI's on a consistent basis, which is what I think they should have gone after to help their runs scored. Then gone after someone like say AJ Burnett, who wasn't going to cost them as much but could still help their starting rotation in the long haul to the playoffs and maybe a wild card spot. If that had happened, then I think the Cubs would be a little worried about their hold on the NL Central. But since the Cubs are giving up about 4 runs per game (4.19) and averaging over 5 runs per game (5.34) through 89 games - I don't think there's any cause for alarm at the moment.

well stated, like i said before i think the Cardinals are the team that is worried right now. The Cubs had a rough stretch in the TB, Bal and CHI Sox series, but bounced back nicely here against st. Louis. Now we go back home against Cincy and hopefully can pad the lead a little bit. All of this without Soriano, and a platoon in LF. Both Spots in the field i said were weak spots in the beginning of the season (SS, CF) have turned out nicely with the play of Theriot, and the Johnson/Edmonds platoon in CF. A Ram is hopefully breaking out of his slump, D Lee has looked good lately and Soto continues to get clutch hits. I have a feeling the team is not worried at all, i just hope it doesnt cause a knee jerk reaction from Hendry.

1) MJ
2) Shaq
3) Lebron

Message 27 of 49 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14294 posts

Jul 7, 2008

Dabears554 wrote:

hippystink wrote:

No, it certainly isn't.

Everyone is saying that the Brewers gave up a lot of prospects so it's not a great trade for them.

So what? It will greatly improve their chances this year, which is what the Cubs are worried about.

I'm worried about the Brewers now. We have to make a move to pick up another starter now.

A strong every day position player gives you a better chance at winning your division than a starting pitcher that you are only going to see once every 5 starts.

Cubs fans shouldn't be worried, however this will force the Cubs to get another starter to shore up their rotation for a deep playoff run. The Brewers have bulpen issues and bat issues at hand. I really expect them to find a solid reliever before the end of July.

Message 28 of 49 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14294 posts

Jul 7, 2008
There's apparently rumblings from the Cubs camp that they intend to pursue Randy Wolf or Rich Harden. I'm not that high on Randy Wolf, but it's going to depend on wha tthe Cubs are willing to surrender to get a quality #1 or #2 starter.
Message 29 of 49 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4572 posts

Jul 7, 2008

Dabears554 wrote:

hippystink wrote:

No, it certainly isn't.

A top prospect for a 3 month rental is a lot, especially if the Brewers do not go deep into the playoffs or make the playoffs at all. This still doesnt put them ahead of the Cubs. The last thing this team needs to do is make a knee jerk trade that will end up costing too much. We are only 3 weeks away from the deadline, and at that time will probably be able to get more return from teams selling then if we made a trade now.

The Cubs have been mentioned to be interested in Harden, Wolf (Ughh) and Burnett. Beane is going to want the farm for Harden, and that is steep for a guy who has injury troubles. Wolf shouldn't be an option as i would rather see Marshall and Gallagher in the rotation instead of Wolf. Burnett is very interesting, his numbers are not that great, but he can still flash brilliance every once in a while. He also may come somewhat cheap and has said he would like to play in Chicago. The only problem i see is getting a guy who is injury prone, he is no Mark Prior but he also isnt too far off.

The CC trade moves them closer, but still not ahead. If the Cubs can land either Burnett or Harden without raping the farm then the Cubs are the clear front runners again.

1) MJ
2) Shaq
3) Lebron

Message 30 of 49 (0 Views)
0 Likes