Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 06 2013
By: wvnative Splicer 54 posts

Sanzaru Games please, I ask that you read this.

17 replies 1056 views Edited Feb 6, 2013

I have enjoyed sly since the first game, and was so excited to see that you guys were making a fourth sly game!

Sadly, I wasn't able to get it on launch day and was planning to buy it at the end of the week, but I was reading a topic on the games gamefaqs board that made me hesitate...

It looks like there is a level, specifically, a hacking mission with bentley that is completely motion controlled. This is a huge deterent for me, not because I hate all motion controls or anything stupid like that. I have a muscular disability that simpy put, makes any type of motion control extremely difficult for me to do. For the most part this hasn't been a problem, most all games with motion control has an option to disable it. (E.G: GTA4, Ratchet and clank tools of destruction, burnout paradise, to name a few) But there was one other game where this served as an issue...

My best friend got me a christmas gift last christmas while I was recovering from a very nasty medical disaster I had, that game was Heavy Rain, and while the game is indeed awesome, the frequent use of sixaxis prevented me from finishing it. :smileysad: 

Thankfully, that was a unique game so it wasn't as horrible as it would have been had heavy rain been part of a series I loved. But the thought that I won't be able to finish this game because of a disability and no option to disable it really makes me sad. :smileysad:

It would be awesome if you guys could add in an option to use the analog sticks... Though I don't expect you to, but with the rise of motion controls, it would be great if the gaming industry could start becoming more accessible to people with disabilities. But that's a topic for another time.

I don't even know if anyone at Sanzaru will read this, their twitter account has been in active for awhile so this seemed the most direct way, but if they do, please consider what I've said. This game looks amazing... 

Message 1 of 18 (1,056 Views)
Wastelander
738 posts

Re: Sanzaru Games please, I ask that you read this.

Feb 6, 2013

I agree, More developers need to realize there are players with disabilities that play video games. They should make sure that the game can be played and enjoyed by everyone with or without disabilities.

Message 2 of 18 (1,036 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Feb 8, 2013

Yeah, in my honest opinion, this is begining to become a major issue. I know I can't be the only one who loves gaming but has trouble with certain games (like this).

I have uncovered more info about this, It appears I was wrong. It would appear that there are a LOT of missions that require sixaxis! I originally thought it was only one, but someone on gamefaqs said there is a lot. Sanzaru, I beg you to patch this! I want to give you my money!

Message 3 of 18 (965 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Feb 8, 2013

I think that is a wonderful idea - simply add the option to enable or disable sixaxis controls in the settings, that way everyone could benefit depending on their situation.

./vote on this. So far, this is an incredible game, you should have the same experience that we all have.

As a side note, however, you may be able to get someone else to complete them for you. So far, it doesn't seem like there is too many of them, and the ones that they do have are not very difficult. Just figured I would mention that in case there was maybe someone else in your household that could complete them for you?

Message 4 of 18 (962 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Feb 8, 2013

When I was playing heavy rain, my mom was kind enough to help me with most of the motion parts, but they were so frequent that it just aggrevated me and I just quit playing. Point is, before the rise of motion controls, I could play all by myself with NO help. It kinda sucks having to need help with MY own hobby.

Another thing, I didn't wanna mention this, but I feel I probably should. In all of my research for disabled gamer support, I found this *AMAZING* tool that was recently released, it wasn't nessacarily intended for folks like me, but it can work. It is called a cronus X device, and it basically allows you to remap any control input, including the motion sensors, to any other button, including the analog sticks.

The problem you may ask? It's $100, and while I intend to get one for my birthday in march, I feel like I shouldn't HAVE to pay $100 to play a $40 dollar game (I would utilize it for other purposes, but this would be my main reason). Why pay all that money when the option to use the analog sticks should already be in the game?

I also feel this issue goes beyond just disabled gamers, I know a LOT of people simply do not *like* using the sixaxis controls, this could benefit them as well.

By the way, does anyone else find it ironic that bentley, a disabled turtle, has all the missions that I personally cannot complete due to my disability? I thought it was so cool to have a playable character in a wheelchair when Sly 3 came out (I am also in a wheelchair) but now it seems kind of like a slap in the face...

Anyways, I really hope this gets patched, I don't think I'll be buying the game until it is.

Message 5 of 18 (955 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 12, 2013
I hear you bro. I don't like the motion controls either but I don't have any disabilities. Good luck!

Message 6 of 18 (888 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Feb 12, 2013

Thanks, I appreciate your support.

Message 7 of 18 (868 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 12, 2013

Well I mean if worse comes to worse, meaning that Sanzaru doesn't patch the game and you do not receive the X Cronus device, but still would like to follow along with the Sly Cooper storyline, there are a series of "Let's Play Sly Cooper Thieves in Time" videos on Youtube, where commentators record the gameplay/storyline as they play.

I mean, if you do not intend on getting the game but still would like to know what happens that may be a good thing to fall back on. I watch a lot of Let's Play series, especially for games I don't know if I would like or ones that I already own to see the approach that other people take. They're quite entertaining.

Best of luck to you regardless.

Message 8 of 18 (865 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Feb 12, 2013
Hey, I didn't think of that... That's a pretty good idea. I often use lets plays when I get stuck in a game, but this could be another good use. Why didn't I think of that lol?

Still, would much rather play the game, but if I don't get to, this would indeed be the 2nd best thing. Thanks for the idea.
Message 9 of 18 (861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Feb 12, 2013

Yea absolutely - I mean, I would still pursue the idea of actually playing the game, but it is at LEAST an alternative so you could experience it.

Message 10 of 18 (857 Views)
0 Likes