Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 13 2013
By: Astroking112 Wastelander 746 posts

Anyone else feel like Thieves in Time was just a step behind?

3 replies 583 views Edited Mar 13, 2013
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely loved this game. In fact, it is almost my favorite game in the series. But just almost. It feels like it just didn't take that extra step in my opinion. Take, for example, the final level. It was just that. A level. Whereas in Sly 2 there was a whole world dedicated to the final moments in-game, Thieves in Time just had that one last level. And, it would've been so easy (Story and thematically wise, at least. I know that they might've run out of time) to make it into a full world. Each ancestor could've had one last mission, instead of a segment in the blimp. The open world could've been completely inside the blimp, or even just a scaled-up version of the Paris maps from before. And, the final fight with Le Paradox could've been just as glorious as all of the previous ones, instead of what felt like just a quick-time sequence.
Then there were the characters. Somehow they felt less unique in their playstyles than in the previous games to me. They took out Bentley's pickpocket magnet and made him a copy of Sly, and removed most of his gadgets and Murrays moves. I know he had different ammunitions, but those hardly felt like a suitable replacement for all of his fun little toys from Sly 3.
And, the sneaking mechanics seemed slightly worse to me. Like it was intentionally easier. Just a small revamp would be nice in my opinion, such as making it to where when you land heavily it alerts guards, or to where using a smokebomb doesn't make guards go, "Oh, I guess that thief never existed," and instead have them search around for you still, but lose direct sight. And, greatly increase the alarm's range that a guard raises when they spot you. Once I saw a baboon in Arabia run straight past another, shooting at me. The other just kept on walking. It used to be a great chase when I was caught, but now it's just dispatching the enemy.
Oh, and there's the little fact about how I have to go back into my hideout to see how much more treasures I need to find. I love all the collectables and I've spent hours just running around searching for them, but I find it puzzling as to why it doesn't tell you the treasures along with how many clue bottles you've collected when you tap L3.

Those are just my thoughts on what could've still been done in Thieves in Time. I still love the game, but hopefully Sanzaru will consider these additions for Sly 5 if they're still allowed to (Sucker Punch had expressed interest in continuing the franchise a while back if I remember correctly, either one would be great IMO).
Message 1 of 4 (583 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Re: Anyone else feel like Thieves in Time was just a step behind?

Mar 14, 2013

I loved the Sly 4 Story too, but I agree with a lot of these things. The story was way too fast, and it felt like using the ancestors was a bit too weak on how you used them. I mean, there were only 5 missions in each map. Only 5. Also, the loading times take FOREVER, and all the things are gone from Sly 3-4. I mean, the Grapple Cam, paraglide is horrible, Feral Pounce, and all the roars and rages of Murray. It seems way to simple, and I thought the campaign was just way too easy for someone who's played all the Slys. I sincerely hope Sly 5 will have much improvement. 

Message 2 of 4 (566 Views)
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Mar 14, 2013
To view how many treasures you have, press the "select" button to enter the map. Hit the right directional button to switch over to the "Status" page, which as your job name, objective, number of clue bottles, treasures, etc.

i dont know where you got the idea of the last paragraph, but SPP has said that it would be hard for them to pick the Sly series up after it has been so long. Sure sucker punch would love to make more Sly games, but inFamous is more likely to keep them in business and thats why they ditched Sly 4 in the first place.
Voted "All Time Best Sly Cooper Fan" by the Sucker Punch Community. I'm RaccoonDude12 over there.
Message 3 of 4 (562 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
527 posts

May 7, 2013
If I'm being honest....I liked Sly 4. I'm still on the 4th world and I think it's a quality game.

I agree on the many characters and spreading itself too thinly and the rubbish upgrades and character upgrading and development.

I hope Sly 5 will be better
Message 4 of 4 (381 Views)