Mar 14 2012
By: JERM7 PlayStation MVP 4510 posts

Silent Hill Downpour

10 replies 509 views Edited Mar 14, 2012

It seems to me that since it's out now, there should be a thread for it.  Who's purchased it already?  What are your thoughts?  Please try to keep your posts spoiler free .

I bought the game yesterday and played maybe ~5 hours.  I will play more later today.  Overall I am very happy with it so far.  However, it has frame rate issues which hopefully will be patched.  The bright environments in the early game seem out of place for an SH game, and certain areas were rather empty with few monsters or "scares."  I have not found it to be as scary as past games, though the atmosphere is great and it builds up that feeling that something could happen.  After reaching the town, the game became much more interesting to me.  While combat is a little clunky, it is pretty easy to learn and get used to the controls; I like them a lot compared to SH:H.  It seems to take elements from SHH and SM as well as past games.  To me it feels more like a classic SH game than the most recent ones.  I've enjoyed them all to some extent, but I much prefer this over SHH.

SPOILER:

Not really a spoiler but just in case: I have reached and nearly completed the tall building.

Edit:  Just wanted to add, I wish they kept a map button in the controls.  Maybe it can be customized?  I don't think so but haven't looked.  It's a small annoyance that the menu book will switch pages when you find something new, but at least it otherwise stays on the same page you were on.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (509 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4510 posts

Re: Silent Hill Downpour

Mar 18, 2012

Well I'll bump it just this once...

I did finish the game on Friday.  The ending I got was confusing.  I will try to get the other endings and trophies eventually, but it is full of glitches .  I did not even get a trophy for my ending, even though I waited through the whole thing - credits and all, back to the title screen.  I did not get trophies for killing certain enemies, running away, healing a lot even though I met the requirements.  I also was not able to do all the sidequests because the fishing rod was not where it should be; I believe this is caused by another glitch, where the unlocked subway doors would become locked again for no apparent reason.  Again, I enjoyed the game overall, but the glitches are very disappointing.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Mar 19, 2012

really? that sucks. T.T I've been looking forward to this game for a long time too. Now, I think I'm going to wait for a patch release before purchase. My biggest fear is that somewhere in the game there's a game-ending bug. So, what did you think story-wise, canon-wise, and atmosphere-wise? Did it feel Silent-Hilly?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (509 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4510 posts

Mar 19, 2012

Actually, I tried reloading my game and those trophies I missed popped up randomly (not all at once, but within ~5min of playing, one by one).  The ending wasn't meant to have a trophy; there are 6 endings, but the one I got does not get a trophy for some reason.  I got 2 trophy-worthy endings from that save and file then I started over (want to get the platinum eventually, which requires 3 or more playthroughs).  So I haven't seen a game-ending bug, but not being able to access the subways/fishing rod on that playthrough was very annoying and means I have to do all the sidequests again in another playthrough.  I am almost done doing that already.

As I said, I think this feels much more like a classic Silent Hill game than the other recent games.   There is a lot to explore and I really like the atmosphere.  The monsters aren't all that interesting though; the 2 most common aren't anything special.  The ones you see less often are pretty cool, I thought.  Seems like it should be the other way around .  I think it does feel like Silent Hill and is an improvement over both SHH and SM.

Edit: Aside from the bugs, I did really like it.  I don't think the story is amazing, but it did keep me interested and confused/guessing for most of the game.  Most of the side quests are really good; you should not skip them if you play.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Mar 20, 2012

sweet. ^_^ there's no pyramid head cameo is there? o_O I love him, but I don't think it's a good thing to have him in every game. Kind of a bummer about the unimaginative regular enemies but now I'm excited about buying Downpour again. Just have to save my money because HD collection is coming out tuesday.

oh, btw, the weapons break, is it as bad as Silent Hill Origins weapons?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (509 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4510 posts

Mar 20, 2012

There's no pyramid head, but there's a sort of equivalent "big guy" running around that you see once in a while.  He doesn't look like PH at all, but he is clearly "special" among the monsters.  I'm not sure what you'd think of the breaking weapons, since I didn't think it was bad in origins; I always had more than I needed.  The weak weapons (sticks, simple items) break fast and the stronger ones (axes, actual weapons) last for a while.  It also varies with chosen combat difficulty.  There are objects everywhere to use as weapons though.  It's not hard at all to find a weapon, but may take some looking for a good one.  Guns are also breakable, but only if you use them as a melee weapon.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
424 posts

Mar 23, 2012

I'm enjoying this game very much. Breakable weapons can get annoying at times specially when fighting 2 or more enemies, but like you said there are plenty available. I like the fact that you can open a door and peek in before entering. Side quests are a nice touch. Overall a good Silent Hill experience in my opinion. That patrolling police car.....ahhhhhrrgg.....

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

Jun 8, 2012

I have played about 7 hours I think, could be an hour off, but I'm really enjoying the game. The only downside is that the enemies just aren't scary. I'm not getting that ''near heart attack scare'' when encountering them. However, the atmosphere is great. Gameplay is fun, and there's lots to discover and read.

I'm going to replay Silent Hill 2 & Homecoming (i know i know) too, and buy the collection for 3.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (509 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4510 posts

Jun 8, 2012

Yeah, the monsters were too generic; they basically just looked like crazy people.  There were a few good ones, but mostly disappointing.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Jun 9, 2012

Enemies were disappointing except for the Weeping Bat, Boogeyman, and the Dolls. I enjoyed it so much that I keep replaying it. It is my new favorite and for me it is up there with Silent Hill 2 for an amazing story, great characters, amazing voice acting and fantastic atmospheric moments.

Sure it isn't as scary as the originals but it is definitely more intense with more scary moments than Silent Hill Homecoming can ever achieve. That train ride moment...shudders. I love the whole explanation of the history of the town while the Otherwolrd begins to invade as Murphy rides the train hoping to escape. And those Weeping Bats. Wow. But what got me was the sense of clautrophobia when those mannequin miner dolls suddenly started getting closer. Intense.

Honestly I completed all 14 side quests and they were all worth it especially the haunting ghost side quest for those who did it. I love this new Silent Hill. I hope Vatra is given another chance to make another game. I am very happy with it.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (509 Views)
0 Likes