Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 02 2011
By: sweetsugarysin First Son 1 posts

Silent Hill: Downpour. What are your thoughts?

11 replies 323 views Edited Feb 2, 2011

I happen to be a HUGE fan of the SH series and have been hooked since the very first gunshot Harry Mason fired at that cackling reddish-purple pterodactyl-like creature in the cafe in the bruised and broken heart of that town. I am also a fan of horror and gore, so basically what I am saying is that it really takes alot to scare me, and so far I haven't been too disappointed.

I just recently read an article in <GASP!> Game Informer Mag and was hoping that other SH fans (who have heard about this) would possibly want to discuss it. I hope I'm not alone in this but any title that even suggests another adventure upon the macabre streets of Silent Hill gets me all crazy n stuff.

By the way. Pyramid Head makes me angry and I swear alot when I play - but he is one of the coolest and baddest villians of all time. That's just my opinion.

Message 1 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
1168 posts

Re: Silent Hill: Downpour. What are your thoughts?

Feb 2, 2011

Moved to the Survival Horror Genre forum.

PlayStation Moderation and Support
Message 2 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11598 posts

Feb 5, 2011

I wouldn’t mind discussing Silent Hill: Downpour every now and then.

I actually have a ~ Silent Hill: Downpour Information Thread ~ kicking around somewhere that I would love to show you but since I have not been able to edit most of my posts in the PlayStation Community you will not be able to see the latest version of this thread (check back later). You can take a look at my old ~ Silent Hill 8 Information Thread ~ if you want but there is not very much information in it. Part of the reason for this is because I find it pointless to post replies with information that I should be able to edit into an original post (editing allows for organization). With that being said, you are more than welcome to post in my ~ Silent Hill 8 Information Thread ~ but this thread will probably not be updated until editing privileges are returned to me.

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/354228#354228

On another note, Pyramid Head’s “role” goes beyond that of a mere villain (IMHO).

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 3 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
123 posts

Feb 8, 2011

As most people who have been around here for a couple of years know, I am extremely passionate about the first four Silent Hill games in the series. All the other games have been "meh" in my opinion, which isn't to say they weren't scarey or atmosperic, its just that they did not seem remotely like the same game (except for 0rigins, but that game still blew). That being said, I am actually excited for Downpour and I hope they can pull off what hasn't been done since SH4 in my opinion: That is to make a legitamate Silent Hill game.

Message 4 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4145 posts

Mar 24, 2011

sweetsugarysin wrote:

I happen to be a HUGE fan of the SH series and have been hooked since the very first gunshot Harry Mason fired at that cackling reddish-purple pterodactyl-like creature in the cafe in the bruised and broken heart of that town. I am also a fan of horror and gore, so basically what I am saying is that it really takes alot to scare me, and so far I haven't been too disappointed.

I just recently read an article in <GASP!> Game Informer Mag and was hoping that other SH fans (who have heard about this) would possibly want to discuss it. I hope I'm not alone in this but any title that even suggests another adventure upon the macabre streets of Silent Hill gets me all crazy n stuff.

By the way. Pyramid Head makes me angry and I swear alot when I play - but he is one of the coolest and baddest villians of all time. That's just my opinion.

So far  I have no thoughts regarding the game but it is on my preorder list! Silent Hill has been one of the few series that I have been faithful to since I love the atmosphere and characters that it brings. So when the game comes out I will be getting it. Last game I really spoiled it with all the press so I am laying low on this one until I grab it. Silent Hill 2 was a game that I had no prior knowlege of before I got and it really made me scared of playing games. So I am just waiting it out until then!

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 5 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 18, 2011

hey man i agree 100% the first 4 SH games were incredible, origins, homecoming, and shattered memories were okay but definitly not up to par with the originals. personoly im kinda 50/50 on downpour, i havent checked on it for a while but last time i checked they havent announced like anything on it, no gameplay, no story, until i see some of that im 50/50 i would like to hope that silent hill could make a comeback with downpour, but if its gunna be like homecoming all over again, then silent hill is doomed in my opinion

Message 6 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11598 posts

Jun 21, 2011

wolfy176 wrote:

hey man i agree 100% the first 4 SH games were incredible, origins, homecoming, and shattered memories were okay but definitly not up to par with the originals. personoly im kinda 50/50 on downpour, i havent checked on it for a while but last time i checked they havent announced like anything on it, no gameplay, no story, until i see some of that im 50/50 i would like to hope that silent hill could make a comeback with downpour, but if its gunna be like homecoming all over again, then silent hill is doomed in my opinion

My Silent Hill: Downpour Information Thread is relatively up to date (about as up to date as the PlayStation Community Forums will allow). Feel free to check it out for more information about Silent Hill: Downpour.

~ Silent Hill: Downpour Information Thread ~

I doubt this video game will be anything like Silent Hill: Homecoming. Vatra Games seem to have a nice grasp on what fans have traditionally come to expect from a Silent Hill video game and I’m confident that they will be able to pull off a solid survival/psychological horror experience with Silent Hill: Downpour. With that being said, you can find some gameplay videos for an early demo of this video game on the Internet but something tells me that storyline details will be hard to come by until this video game is released later this year.

Message 7 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
436 posts

Aug 7, 2011

it looks like alan wake on the 360 >.<

Message 8 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4145 posts

Aug 7, 2011

What also gets me is that what people take the outdoors woodsy enviroment of Alan Wake and see the footage of Silent Hill Downpour and think oh it looks like Alan Wake? Yet if you played Silent Hill 2 you walk through the woods before you enter the streets of Silent Hill. Silent Hill is more diversive in enviroments than Alan Wake has been. If you played Alan Wake and thought the game was good, and you are comparing with Silent Hill that's okay but to me I feel that Silent Hill is sort of the Mother of many of these new horror titles, including Alan Wake.

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 9 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11598 posts

Aug 7, 2011

FreshRevenge wrote:

What also gets me is that what people take the outdoors woodsy enviroment of Alan Wake and see the footage of Silent Hill Downpour and think oh it looks like Alan Wake? Yet if you played Silent Hill 2 you walk through the woods before you enter the streets of Silent Hill. Silent Hill is more diversive in enviroments than Alan Wake has been. If you played Alan Wake and thought the game was good, and you are comparing with Silent Hill that's okay but to me I feel that Silent Hill is sort of the Mother of many of these new horror titles, including Alan Wake.

Photobucket

Silent Hill 2 is a 6th generation video game (an old one at that) and Alan Wake is a 7th generation video game (from last year). It is much easier for video gamers to compare video games from the same generation. With that being said, most of the Silent Hill video games did next to nothing with any sort of “woods” environment so comparisons between Silent Hill: Downpour and Alan Wake should be expected at this point in time. I think Silent Hill 2 (only in the beginning), Silent Hill 4: The Room (which some people don’t even accept as a Silent Hill video game) and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (only for brief periods of time) are the only exceptions (correct me if I’m wrong). In the Silent Hill video games it was always about going into town, exploring the town, and looking at different buildings and locations in or not very far from the town (few exceptions).

I like what Vatra Games are doing with Silent Hill: Downpour but that is probably because it reminds me heavily of Alan Wake. In my honest opinion, Alan Wake created the sort of atmosphere that a horror video game should have in this day and age without actually being a survival horror video game itself (this is impressive). The older Silent Hill video games were able to establish a phenomenal survival horror atmosphere but I haven’t been able to say this about a Silent Hill video game since 2003 (or 2004). Alan Wake provided the psychological horror and psychological thriller experiences that I haven’t seen from a video game in years. Now we have Silent Hill: Downpour rising to the occasion (hopefully) and the developers getting defensive every time Alan Wake comes up in a conversation. If Silent Hill: Downpour can match it in the atmosphere and psychological departments (this is no small task) then this video game will be a pleasant surprise (to say the least).

Alan Wake does not have a “diverse selection of environments” but (contrary to popular belief) this is not a shortcoming. Remedy knew exactly what they were doing with this video game and I can only hope to see a comparable amount of thought and effort put into Silent Hill: Downpour from Vatra Games.

Message 10 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes