Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
1293 posts

Re: Are the new Silent Hill VAs really that bad?

Feb 12, 2012

tack129 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV_NC4JGntM

Basically I've been watching this video regarding the Silent Hill HD collection. Since I have some interest in it but lately people were in an uproar, I can understand why since they've played the originals years and years ago and have it cemented into their mind but to be honest, is it really that bad?

I just want to ask your opinion on this to both those that have played the originals and those that have not touched a single Silent Hill game. Which one do you prefer, the original VAs or the new VAs?

I've played the original SH2 and while it feels strange to see new voices they don't really sound too bad. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Maria/Mary sounds pretty good, actually, she makes Maria sound a lot more sexy in that last scene, which fits her character well. And while I like the soft voice of the original voice actor of James more the rough new one also isn't exactly bad for his character. I don't know about the other voice actors but McGlynn has been into both the Silent Hill franchise and voice acting for so long that she surely will do a good work.

I haven't thought about buying the HD collection yet, but I hope you will get access to the old voice lines since I will most likely have a hard time getting used to the new actors despite all their effort and the good quality that might come out of it. I'm just used too much to the original voices, I think.

Message 11 of 22 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1450 posts

Feb 12, 2012

I agree tack about Angelas voice but I think Troy as James will take some getting used to.

Interesting development since these original posts that Troy is playing Joel in the Last of Us as well as the new James.

Mary Elizabeth as Mary and Maria I just don't think it works and Eddie's new voice is................well just wrong.

But at least we can play them either way now. And for £20 UK is pretty reasonable for very special classic games.

Message 12 of 22 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4825 posts

Feb 12, 2012

Really old post and a significant bump BUT I just want to reference to another VA comparison as it goes deeper into comparing the old and new voice overs. (It's basically the beginning sequence)

http://kotaku.com/5884110/hate-the-new-silent-hill-2-audio-tracks-turn-em-off

Honestly, they're not as bad as I thought it would be (The scene with Angela and James is leaps and bounds better IMO) but I don't think Mary Elizabeth suits Mary/Maria as she sounds a bit too old.

At least you can switch between the original and the new VAs for SH2. Sad that you can't for SH3 (not over residues but some of the cast were either missing or dead by the time it was too late to add in the original VO).

Message 13 of 22 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4825 posts

Feb 12, 2012

I actually agree, Mary in the original (from the comparisons) sounded better than the new Mary and I think Troy is a bit too rough at times too.

I think Mary Elizabeth even agrees in that she thought she sounded too old for the part but Konami insisted that she does it. Actually come to think of it, Mary should of switched roles with the person playing Angela, I think Mary might have fit Angela better but Angela had the tone of voice for Mary/Maria. However I could get used to it.

I may end up buying the HD collection. The voice overs I can get used to and I can play throught both the new and the old. It's still worth considering since they're classic games from the previous generation that shaped horror (Even the developers of Amnesia thought it was a classic horror series, Amnesia is IMO one of the best horror games around, if you have a good PC and love horror I definitely recommend that game)

@SweetPoison - I'm saddened that there won't be an option for SH3 too, I honestly think I'm not surprised considering that one of the Voice Actors died shortly after release (which is a complete shame) that and they couldn't find Heather's VO in time too. What's an even greater shame is that from what I hear the Voice Acting is a significant improvement in SH3 over SH2. Like I've said, hopefully the acting won't be butchered too much. BTW thanks for the links. Will bookmark them for future.

Edit: I noticed a particular problem with the new VA in that the lip sync is off in the last part. The original fits but the new doesn't. Don't know whether if it's a problem with Kotaku or whether it's from the build they were given.

Message 14 of 22 (212 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11504 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

I don’t know about you guys but it will be difficult for me to play through Silent Hill 3 in the Silent Hill HD Collection with its new voice work. Thankfully, I have the PlayStation 2 version of Silent Hill 3.

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 15 of 22 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Apr 1, 2012

The new voices are hit and miss and kind of a matter of personal preference. I really liked Angela's new voice because she actually sounds her age now. Playing Silent Hill 2 on the ps2 I never really got around to deciding if Angela was an older teenager who smoked a lot or a young adult who hadn't really developed emotionally enough.

Unfortunately I now have that problem with Heather and can't really place the age of her new VA. o_O

Oh, and Mary sounds a lot older (as does James). I think I prefer the original mostly because that's what I grew up with.

Btw, Gamestop has a really cool policy they don't like to tell anyone about. If you buy a game pre-owned you can return it within 7 days if you don't like it for a full refund. Just don't abuse it too much and you can rent a game for free every now and then. Do this instead of buying the Silent Hill HD collection brand new, you'll thank me later.

Message 16 of 22 (212 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11504 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

sheik_ah wrote:

The new voices are hit and miss and kind of a matter of personal preference. I really liked Angela's new voice because she actually sounds her age now. Playing Silent Hill 2 on the ps2 I never really got around to deciding if Angela was an older teenager who smoked a lot or a young adult who hadn't really developed emotionally enough.

Unfortunately I now have that problem with Heather and can't really place the age of her new VA. o_O

Oh, and Mary sounds a lot older (as does James). I think I prefer the original mostly because that's what I grew up with.

Btw, Gamestop has a really cool policy they don't like to tell anyone about. If you buy a game pre-owned you can return it within 7 days if you don't like it for a full refund. Just don't abuse it too much and you can rent a game for free every now and then. Do this instead of buying the Silent Hill HD collection brand new, you'll thank me later.

As I mentioned in a recent post somewhere, I already have a copy of the Silent Hill HD Collection. I’m not terribly disappointed with the version that I picked up (I don't have the PlayStation3 version of this video game) but if I’m comparing it with original copies of Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 then there is no contest. The original versions of these video games blow the Silent Hill HD Collection out of the water. >_<

Message 17 of 22 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Apr 1, 2012

oh, sorry. lol. ^_^; I meant for the person who opened the discusion.

Message 18 of 22 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2918 posts

Apr 7, 2012

I litsen to the video and it does sound a bit off. I haven't even played those games! Which takes me to this question: should I get the HD collection or stick with the original PS2 games? Like I said before, I have not played these games, I'm barely starting with the first one (I just got off the Resident Evil train and i'm looking for another survival horror, althoug this game is way more horrifiying), and I was wondering if the new voices will do anything different for a person who is new to these games.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 19 of 22 (212 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11504 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

Viewtiful_Josh wrote:

I litsen to the video and it does sound a bit off. I haven't even played those games! Which takes me to this question: should I get the HD collection or stick with the original PS2 games? Like I said before, I have not played these games, I'm barely starting with the first one (I just got off the Resident Evil train and i'm looking for another survival horror, althoug this game is way more horrifiying), and I was wondering if the new voices will do anything different for a person who is new to these games.

Long Live Play!

You should stick to the original PlayStation2 versions of these video games (if you can).

Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 aren’t the easiest video games to find in this day and age (I understand this) but the alterations that were made to these video games in the Silent Hill HD Collection are very questionable. If money is burning a hole in your pocket then the Silent Hill HD Collection wouldn’t be a horrible decision but word has it that the PlayStation 3 version of this collection has its fair share of issues (keep this in mind). In my honest opinion, the new voice work in these video games degrades the experience for Silent Hill veterans and newcomers alike (take that for what it's worth).   

Message 20 of 22 (212 Views)
0 Likes