Aug 28 2011
By: tack129 Treasure Hunter 4807 posts

Are the new Silent Hill VAs really that bad?

21 replies 531 views Edited Aug 28, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV_NC4JGntM

Basically I've been watching this video regarding the Silent Hill HD collection. Since I have some interest in it but lately people were in an uproar, I can understand why since they've played the originals years and years ago and have it cemented into their mind but to be honest, is it really that bad?

I just want to ask your opinion on this to both those that have played the originals and those that have not touched a single Silent Hill game. Which one do you prefer, the original VAs or the new VAs?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 22 (531 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4145 posts

Original

Aug 28, 2011

The original voice acting fit the mood intended for the Silent Hill games. The newer ones sound...off. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about the new tone of voice doesn't fit with the idea of Silent Hill.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Co-op Adventure Tips & Tricks and Amazing Lab Idea- Now with Brackets Mentioning Kudos Count!

Supporter for more sound in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 22 (531 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1931 posts

To me, they both sound off. But for the second guy, the o...

Aug 28, 2011

To me, they both sound off. But for the second guy, the original was better.

Also, that guy who replied to you is an idiot.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 22 (531 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4145 posts

Aug 28, 2011

overlordofpizza wrote:

To me, they both sound off. But for the second guy, the original was better.

Also, that guy who replied to you is an idiot.

Why do you feel the need to call me an idiot? If my post was poorly worded or I didn't get across the point I was trying to make then I am sorry, but there is no need to insult my intelligence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Co-op Adventure Tips & Tricks and Amazing Lab Idea- Now with Brackets Mentioning Kudos Count!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 22 (531 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4807 posts

He ment the person whom commented to my post on the youtu...

Aug 28, 2011
He ment the person whom commented to my post on the youtube video not you. He didn't clarify it.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 22 (531 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4145 posts

Aug 28, 2011

Thank you tack, for clearing things up, and sorry to overlordofpizza.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 22 (531 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
9116 posts

Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, so...

Aug 28, 2011

Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games of all time (same with SH3, actually), so I'm really disappointed that they decided to "update" the voice acting. Sure, the stuff back then wasn't absolutely perfect, but it was always fitting for the games. Each voice suited the respective character perfectly.

I was going into this trying to be as open-minded as possible. I thought, "Well, hey, if they get fantastic voice actors, maybe it'll be okay..."

No, I'm sorry, but the new ones aren't better actors/actresses than the old ones, so what on earth is the point? Good job, you replaced mediocre voice acting that people know/love, with more mediocre and now unfamiliar voice acting. Not only is it essentially a step backwards in quality, but let's face it, most of the people buying this collection are going to do it for the nostalgia factor; when you change something as integral as the voice acting, you're seriously influencing that in the worst way.

Mary sounded somewhat decent; I think her voice is one I could get used to, but ONLY as Mary. As Maria, she sounded like she was trying way too hard to sound sexy, and her voice just doesn't suit her looks in that way. Eddy sounded terrible. James sounded like a tryhard tough guy, which he never was. Ugh. Just ugh.

I know I'm kind of ranting, but I legitimately love these games and have been looking forward to this collection a lot. I don't know why on earth tampering with the voices seemed like a good idea, but it's obvious by watching this that it definitely was not.

They should give us the option of using the original audio, if we want. At the very least.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 22 (531 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4807 posts

This is my opinion about it (copied, pasted, altered): I...

Aug 28, 2011

This is my opinion about it (copied, pasted, altered):

I only played through Silent Hill 1 and 4 like I've said so I wouldn't know what the voice acting will end up being like in the HD collection or in the originals. Silent Hill 1 made me giggle with the radio line so I know that I'll be expecting bad voice acting regardless.

Watching a couple of videos though, I don't see either or being good VA. The original cutscenes in the sample, I can't place my finger on it but they sounded off. Same with the new cast. Mary/Maria sounds young in the original but the HD collection she sounds older. James is only a tiny bit better in HD, the guy in the kid outfit ... eh. He sounds like a stoner more than a kid which the original looked like he was trying to portray.

Either way, I think I'll wait for reviews to come out for the collection since the new VA doesn't sound appealing. I may rent it as I actually do have some interest in the games like I've said earlier.

The true test is Silent Hill 3, from what I hear the VA was better than in 2 when you compare original VAs but who knows if Konami will butcher it or not (even though I never heard the voice acting from that game)

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 22 (531 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1450 posts

I love Silent Hill 2

Aug 28, 2011

I love Silent Hill 2 (one of my top 5 games) and to a lesser extent 3.

In 2 the voice acting wasn't good in the traditional sense but was actually good because it was Right for the game, slightly laboured off balance and slightly corny BUT it worked and those oldies like me that played the originals several times  will just find the new voices to be out of place and will grate in our heads. (really don't like the new Eddie voice)

I think anyone else will not mind the voice acting changes at all as they are still fitting with the stories and characters but to some of us too different, although I will probably get used to them throughout the play throughs.

It's like the people that played homecoming/origins etc as their first Silent hill games probably enjoyed them, but to me none of the games after 3 have actually been what I would call a Silent Hill game. I haven't liked them because they were called Silent Hill......whichever, If they had not been based in the Hill I would probably have enjoyed them more.

The one on the vita ? My god how can they even call that Silent hill?

I don't hold out much hope for Downpour either I hate destructable weapons and I do like to fight the monsters in Silent hill not run away all the time.   

So the new voices won't bother new players, will bother some players of the original and some people won't care either way.  

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 22 (531 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10898 posts

Re: Are the new Silent Hill VAs really that bad?

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

In my honest opinion, some of the new voice actors and actresses for Silent Hill 2 are terrible not very well suited to their characters. I would have a hard time adding the Silent Hill HD Collection to my video game collection if KONAMI were to release Silent Hill 2 with new voice work and not include its original voice work as an option. As far as I know, the Silent Hill HD Collection will not include the original voice work for Silent Hill 3 at all (this is very unfortunate).

I have a few information threads for Silent Hill: Downpour and the Silent Hill HD Collection kicking around in the PlayStation Community Forums if you want to take a look at them. I was going to give you these links before, tack, but it slipped my mind. I haven’t updated these threads in a while but that might change as we approach March 2012. Not everything will be included in these information threads because the informative interviews and videos that I find might not always be appropriate for the PlayStation Community Forums (I apologize in advance).

~ Silent Hill: Downpour Information Thread ~

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/30980548#30980548

~ Silent Hill HD Collection Information Thread ~

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/31128772#31128772

If you would like to see these information threads in their entirety then send me a private message and I can redirect you to their more "complete" versions (for lack of a better word).

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 22 (531 Views)
0 Likes