Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 01 2009
By: dylando808 Lombax Warrior 163 posts

i'm starting to get the hang of this :))

12 replies 10 views Edited Dec 1, 2009

I've been an avid gamer for about 10 years now and i've had all the playstations. I was never really a fan of shooter games (because i always sucked at them) and stuck to fighting games and RPGs

but since getting my PS3 (120 slim) i've been trying out shooters like killzone 2 and uncharted i'm really starting to get hooked!

i'm getting uncharted 2 in a couple days so i'm excited for that.

are there any other shooter genre games that you guys would recommend? any with good online multiplayer? any favorites??

thanks in advance

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 13 (10 Views)
Sackboy
521 posts

Re: i'm starting to get the hang of this :))

Dec 1, 2009
I would highly recommend The Orange Box. I've been playing Team Fortress 2 (one of the five games on it) for two years now and it's still amazing. Plus you can find it for about $20 now-a-days.
Message 2 of 13 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
779 posts

Dec 1, 2009

I highly recommend Bioshock, you'll have many playthroughs.  It's not online, but way worth the 20 bucks it goes for.  I second the notion on the Orange Box.  If you want a super high paced multiplayer shooter, go with Unreal Tournament 3(10 bucks). 

Photobucket
Message 3 of 13 (10 Views)
Fender Bender
3112 posts

Dec 1, 2009
Mw2. Great shooter.
Message 4 of 13 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
163 posts

Dec 2, 2009

thanks! my friend has bioshock so i'll probably borrow it from him and play before buying.

yeah i've heard of the orange box. it looks fun but i've never played it. but i'll take your word for it.

and i'm getting MW2 in the mail within the next few days so i'm excited for that.

Message 5 of 13 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
909 posts

Dec 2, 2009

Yeah, Bioshock should be right up your alley since you said you like RPG's.  It has some RPG elements as well as being a solid shooter.

I recommend Bioshock, Borderlands, Battlefield: Bad Company, Metal Gear Solid 4, and another game that you might not want to buy...TimeShift.  Let me explain:  TimeShift was one of those games that got bad reviews for not living up to its expectations, but was still a very fun game.  The time powers are very linear and the game flat-out tells you which one to use during certain situations.  However, the story is very interesting (especially at the end), the visuals are still pretty solid, shooting is very fun and it lasted pretty long.  But if you are looking for an online shooter, then don't even look at TimeShift, I doubt anyone goes near it anymore.

Okay, let's go buy a pulhoon.
Message 6 of 13 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
415 posts

Dec 2, 2009

If you're a latecomer to online shooter goodness like I am, you're good with Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2, but go ahead and rent away.  Resistance 2 isn't bad.  It's not great, but the SP campaign is pretty cool and once you're used to online, it's absolutely a breeze.

MW2 has it's place.  Like R2, it's not bad...but I don't think it comes close to coming close to being half the game that the hype makes it out to be.  Online is kinda clunky and graphics wise, I'd compare MW2 online to a 3D version of MGS2.  Oh and those perks you've no doubt heard about??  They're incredibly cheap.  Incredibly.  Cheap.  Honestly "cheap" isn't even a derogatory enough word.  They're straight up dealbreakers.

Metal Gear Solid 4 will pwn you and your whole family...and you will come back for more.  It has an online component, but there's several problems with it...first you'll need to get an ID from Konami.  Actually I think you need 3 or 4 of them, no joke.  Then once you're finally online, you'll need to find a game that isn't that stupid Zombie or Prison game.  Don't ask.

Once you get your cacophony of IDs and get into a real game, you'll notice that the learning curve is more like a straight shot 90 degrees upward.  In MGO, there are three kinds of people...n00bs, elite and cheaters.  Personally I love the game inside and out...I just haven't played MGO in like...four or five months.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - ChokeAhoQuick
Message 7 of 13 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
551 posts

Dec 2, 2009
You have Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2, so you two of the best games out there. maybe look into Borderlands. The co op would be something new and fresh for ya.
Message 8 of 13 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
163 posts

Dec 3, 2009
ah cool cool these are good recommendations! i'll see if i can rent some to see how they are
Message 9 of 13 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Dec 3, 2009
Get Fallout 3, its a fps and a rpg.
Message 10 of 13 (10 Views)
0 Likes