Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 16 2012
By: xNEFREKTOMYx Splicer 60 posts

Doom 3 BFG Edition (Buy or Deny?)

8 replies 543 views Edited Oct 16, 2012

Hey Folks,

I've already completed all three games in previous versions.Just getting that out of the way.

I've played through a couple hours of each mode of Doom 3 BFG Edition including an hour or so of both Doom 1 and 2 included on the disk and am happy to report that this is a solid collection especially for the price of $39 bucks. I'm a sucker for ID software products and have already bought all three of these games at least once before. The big selling point for me was stereoscopic 3D. I was dying to play Doom 3 in 3D! And I am happy to report that it looks good! I'd love to see the Occulus Rift (Google it!) working on the PS3 for this game. Now that would be a trip!

My only negative, for those that previously played the Xbox version is that there's no Doom 3 coop mode. That sadly a huge missed opportunity to me. However luckily Doom 1 and 2 have their cooperative campaigns intact. This collection is both a walk down memory lane, an awesome update to an already classic collection of gaming history and sports 3D to boot. $29 would be a better price to compensate for the lack of coop in D3 but I can still justify the price tag by getting to revisit three games I've adored plus some new additions to Doom 3 (aka The Lost Levels). I give this a 3.5 out of 5 if you're playing in 2D and a 4 if you've got a 3D TV.

If it ONLY had Remote Play for PS Vita and Coop for all of the D3 modes (sigh). Missed opportunity ID though still definately worth a buy if you never played these games before. And worth considering even if you have. Like I said, I've played and bought all of these before but am happy to refresh my memory with this $40 piece of gaming gold in preparation for the forthcoming Doom 4.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (543 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7547 posts

Re: Doom 3 BFG Edition (Buy or Deny?)

[ Edited ]
Oct 16, 2012

I too never played Doom 3 as I didn't own a Xbox. Too be honest I just didn't really care much for the Doom series. If it was cheaper like 20 bucks I would say buy it. 40 bucks iz way too over priced for a game that came out in like 2005. I don't care how many little enchancements it has Stranger's Wrath is a HD remake and it's only priced at 15 bucks.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (538 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Oct 16, 2012

I'd have probably appreciated a download only version of just the Doom 3 content as I already own Doom 1 and 2 on Xbox 360. Like what they did for the Jak, Ratchet, Sly collections, nevertheless it's a good game, with all the extra additions (Ressurection of Evil and Lost Levels) there's a lot of value regardless.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (533 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 16, 2012
I pre-ordered on psn and I'm still waiting to download it! Day 1 digital sucks no midnight download!!! it better be ready to soon I need my fix of guns n guts y'all!!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (505 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
896 posts

Oct 17, 2012

Even if you played the XBox version, that would be no reason to avoid a purchase here. The Xbox version was very different from the PC version. It was "cut to pieces" as the people who have played both say. I've only played the Xbox version, and not the expansion. I know the graphics are far nicer now. And you can tell the RAGE shooting engine was put in this new version. It feels more like RAGE, which is a good thing. Just not as perfect as RAGE. Though I feel the aim assist was making it worse. It felt much better once I turned them off. I really wish the game supported custom sountracks though. It's a negative for me.

I have a question though, which is why I came to the forum today, and I'll just ask in the DOOM thread already here. Aren't we supposed to be able to play DOOM 3 co-op? I'm not seeing an option to play co-op.

PSN ID: Darth-Krayt

Eye of Judgment, Monster Hunter, Killzone 2, Sared 2 Fallen Angel, WipOut HD Fury, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Super Street Fighter 4, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Mortal Kombat, Unreal Tounament 3, MGS4, Oblivion, Ghostbusters, Dragon Age Origins, MAG, Heavy Rain, GoW3, Dragon Age 2, Rage, Skyrim, DOOM3:BFG, Gran Turismo 5
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (466 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 19, 2012
I've been playing the hell out of the first DOOM (pun definitely intended.) Played some DOOM 3 last night and got a few scares. Love the atmosphere in that game.I'm really glad I can finally play these games on console now. I wish Final Doom was included on here and with the soundtrack of the ps1 version. That was my first experience with DOOM.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (443 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
424 posts

Oct 27, 2012

I bought this day one and am loving Doom again. Brings back the good ol days of early pc gaming. I just wish we could get a remastered Doom 64....my personal favorite.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (368 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 27, 2012

I just wish Doom 1 and 2 we're the Williams version its alot smoother this these.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Can someone confirm if you can switch L1 R1 to L2 R2?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (251 Views)
0 Likes