Treasure Hunter
6512 posts

Re: Bioshock Infinite

Aug 13, 2010

TheReelMovieGuy wrote:

Here's a good breakdown from G4. take it all with a grain a salt, as its all a theory at this point, but their theories seem sound.

There's a picture with a man playing maestro to the 1900's "soundbox"

"...the scale-model of The World's Fair and the Big Daddy that opens the trailer indicates that someone in Columbia has already envisioned a massive city under the sea patrolled by metal monsters. (Perhaps the trailer started while we were snooping around Ryan's apartment. We are after all a "Pnkerton Agent", as Ken Levine mentioned in his interview.) That's got to be Ryan. The time-frame works out too -- this is set in 1912, and Rapture was built sometime before 1929.  Here's a wild pitch -- let's say Ryan was a resident of Columbia who became disillusioned by the city's jingoism, and decided to deflate the city's balloons while it was over the ocean and sink it into the sea... could it be that Columbia becomes Rapture at some point in the future? And you make it happen? Could it be that Infinite is essentially Andrew Ryan's origin story?"

Either way, im excited. These guys don't disappoint.

Not possible. If you played Bioshock 2 then you would know that they built Rapture. Also maybe Ryan got the idea from Columbia. It makes sense after seeing the big daddy's.

Message 21 of 77 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Aug 13, 2010

chickenbonetom wrote:

I understand the need to have bioshock in a fresh new setting but Couldn't they think of sumthin better then a Cloud city tho? I mean it's been done before, why not make Bioshock have a big underground city.deep within the earth's crust.  Or make it exist in a big Oceanic cavern city under the ocean. The Cloud City steals away from the mysteriousness Bioshock had from being in a Ocean setting. Also the whole 1912 time setting is stupid too, who cares about the 1910s the 1950s or even 1940s were where it was at. How can a bright sun lit cloud city that takes place in 1910 have any kind of creepy element to it at all. Bioshock's franchise is dead it went from crappy to medicore sequel to this non sense. Cloud City's kinda piss me off mmkay

I don't see how you can write this game off already. We have not seen any gameplay or really anything besides a teaser trailer. Maybe there are day/night cycles? Maybe the game starts out sunny and bright and then gets darker and darker???

At least wait until you see some gameplay or hear more about the game before you totally write it off.

Message 22 of 77 (136 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Aug 13, 2010

I enjoyed Bioshock 1 & 2, to me they were both great.  Infinite, it's direction and the fact that it's said to be using a different engine, have my interest.  The CG looks nice, but CG usually does. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 23 of 77 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
779 posts

Aug 13, 2010

chickenbonetom wrote:

muskellounger wrote:

chickenbonetom wrote:

I don't think I like this direction Bioshock is goin in. The underwater setting is wat made Bioshock so great. If they want to make a prequel to bioshock why throw away the whole concept of bioshock for sum stupid cloud city.

I understand the need to have bioshock in a fresh new setting but Couldn't they think of sumthin better then a Cloud city tho? I mean it's been done before, why not make Bioshock have a big underground city.deep within the earth's crust.  Or make it exist in a big Oceanic cavern city under the ocean. The Cloud City steals away from the mysteriousness Bioshock had from being in a Ocean setting. Also the whole 1912 time setting is stupid too, who cares about the 1910s the 1950s or even 1940s were where it was at. How can a bright sun lit cloud city that takes place in 1910 have any kind of creepy element to it at all. Bioshock's franchise is dead it went from crappy to medicore sequel to this non sense. Cloud City's kinda piss me off mmkay

Man that's too bad.  At least you've got Killzone 3 huh?

Photobucket
Message 24 of 77 (136 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11832 posts

Aug 13, 2010

chickenbonetom wrote:

muskellounger wrote:

chickenbonetom wrote:

I don't think I like this direction Bioshock is goin in. The underwater setting is wat made Bioshock so great. If they want to make a prequel to bioshock why throw away the whole concept of bioshock for sum stupid cloud city.

Read this quote from Ken Levine.... http://irrationalgames.com/insider/announcement-from-ken-levine/

"When we completed the original BioShock, we felt we had said all we wanted to say with Rapture, but we weren’t done with the idea that is BioShockBioShock is so much more than a story of a single place or a single time.  We had so much more we wanted to say."

They are not throwing away the whole concept, you can see Rapture concepualized in a model during the beginning of the trailer.  Patience, in due time it will all be explained.  I'm sure of it. 

That cloud city is not stupid!!!  Your opinion is shared by many, I hope you change your mind.

Do you have any examples? Because I don't think I've ever played, or rather, heard, of a game that takes place entirely in the sky.

Message 25 of 77 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
572 posts

Aug 14, 2010

People are getting confused with this as being a prequel or being a sequel, it's neither. As stated on the PS blog, this is a brand new story with no ties to the previous two installments of the game. It's still "Bioshock" but it's just a brand new story, and instead of being underwater, it's in the sky and an earlier year.

It's really going to be interesting on how the original creators take this on, hopefully we'll know more about why it's called "infinite" soon.

Message 26 of 77 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Aug 14, 2010

StealthReborn-- wrote:

People are getting confused with this as being a prequel or being a sequel, it's neither. As stated on the PS blog, this is a brand new story with no ties to the previous two installments of the game. It's still "Bioshock" but it's just a brand new story, and instead of being underwater, it's in the sky and an earlier year.

It's really going to be interesting on how the original creators take this on, hopefully we'll know more about why it's called "infinite" soon.

It's a Prequel

Message 27 of 77 (136 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Aug 14, 2010

The trailer signaled that Infinite is a first-person return to the style of idea-driven historical science fiction of BioShock, but set in the skies. Later, Levine would tell me that the game is thematically tied to the work he did in first BioShock in that it is another game about a strange and yet strangely familiar place as well as about expressive, variable gameplay. He doesn't call it prequel though and drew no narrative connections between the BioShocks we have played and the one his team is making. "I don't want to think about that," Levine said to me. "I don't think it's particularly constructive to have that conversation."

http://kotaku.com/5607451/bioshock-infinite-goes-beyond-the-sea--into-the-skies

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 28 of 77 (136 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 16, 2010

OK first off I loved bioshock 1 and 2 but infinite is going to far how is it going to be in 1912 when we had barely started to fly like 9 years before and this just makes it seem like Ryan copied Columbia which is a really stupid name they should go for a different word for  heaven to give it even more religion than it already has and in the trailer it showed her using telekinesis how does she get those powers if Adam was only discovered in rapture. Im still going to buy the game so I hope irrational games can answer these questions and change the name Columbia.   

Message 29 of 77 (136 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11832 posts

Aug 16, 2010

chickenbonetom wrote:

travelerking wrote:

OK first off I loved bioshock 1 and 2 but infinite is going to far how is it going to be in 1912 when we had barely started to fly like 9 years before and this just makes it seem like Ryan copied Columbia which is a really stupid name they should go for a different word for  heaven to give it even more religion than it already has and in the trailer it showed her using telekinesis how does she get those powers if Adam was only discovered in rapture. Im still going to buy the game so I hope irrational games can answer these questions and change the name Columbia.   

Exactly Infinite jus kills the awesome story Bioshock had.

I normally wouldn't pursue something like this, but I'm curious. Where has a floating city "been done before" in games?

Also, I think it's a little silly that you're already saying that Infinite kills the story that Bioshock had. You haven't even seen anything besides one trailer and heard a few vague details. We're not even sure why the girl is being held hostage and why the city and its citizens are going crazy. We don't even know if she's using Adam to fuel her powers. All we basically know is that DeWitt needs to find and rescue her.

Heck, even if the game turns out to be a dud, how would that ruin Bioshock? Just look at the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro series. The first few games were awesome, and once they were sold off, the series went completely down hill. Does that mean that they ruined the stories/experiences of the previous installments? Of course not.

The game is two years away. It's ridiculous to jump to such bold conclusions already.

Message 30 of 77 (136 Views)
0 Likes