Lombax Warrior
171 posts

Re: The Last Guardian - Theories, thoughts and discussion

Jan 5, 2010

Yea that is just my theory for now. 

It is very possible that this takes place after Ico and Shadow which would prove my theories wrong. 

Another interesting thing is the fact that this kid seems to "glow".  What this reminds me of is Yorda from ICO having that type of glow.

At least to me, they both seem to have a glow to them. 

And just for the hell of it, lets look at Ico, Wander and this new kid:

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 38 (6,851 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
284 posts

Jan 6, 2010

He has a rounder face like ICO.

I think the giant birth thing will have some relation to the colossi. SotC is set before ICO. So why couldn't the Last Guardian be set before SotC. Then again, it could be set after ICO or inbetween the two.

Heck, the game could have no relation whatsoever to the other two! It is Team ICO we are talking about.

sotc sig
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 38 (6,851 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jan 6, 2010

Well, Ico's face is likely round because of his youth, and Wander's because he's a young man. The boy is likely simply young. 

I hadn't realized how the boy's lighting is similar to Yorda's - though I don't think enough, but it's certainly unusual. In the original leak, that lighting wasn't there and he looked like he could have been Ico sans the horns.

Eagerly awaiting FFXIV and The Last Guardian for PS3.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 38 (6,851 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
284 posts

Jan 7, 2010
Well Wanderer looks more European with the longer face and the boy and Ico look more Asian. But thats just my opinion.
sotc sig
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 38 (6,851 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1003 posts

Jan 7, 2010
Just a thought. Do you think the boy will be given a name? In Shadow of the Colossus you never know Wanders name and the only reason you know ICO's name is because of the title of the game.

EDIT: and since this is called The Last Guardian we may not know the boys name unless Ueda tells us it.
Message Edited by DJD1 on 01-07-2010 12:44 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 38 (6,851 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
171 posts

Jan 7, 2010

I see a resemblance in all 3 characters, just Wander looks older and thus has less baby fat. 

Message Edited by Colossus_1191 on 01-07-2010 10:02 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 38 (6,851 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
171 posts

Jan 7, 2010

I tried to find a screenshot of the guards in the trailers to backup my theory that they are not human, but I couldn't find any.  But if you look at the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzHoMT5eRg), at 3:50 you can see how wierd the guards look.  They are covered in armor but the head/helmet is really long and has seemingly green eyes coming from the top. 

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 38 (6,851 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Jan 8, 2010

Jesus I must have seen that trailer so many times and yet never noticed that. The soldiers are definitly not human. Considering team ICO's other games, its a safe bet to say they are souks/spirits/entities of some kind.

About the game in ICO, considering the soldiers and the fact that the boy is alone exept for the Griffin, it seems like he is trying to escape, much like in ICO. But why are the soldiers trying to stop the boy from escaping? I know this one's really pushing it, but here's my theory:

I think that the Griffin isn't the last guardian. It is possible that the soldiers are one collective spiritual entity, and that THEY are the last guardian, guarding the griffin. How the boy entered this place I don't know, but the fact that he is trying to escape with the griffin is obviously something the soldiers dont like. Throughout the whole game you would think the soldiers must be evil because they are imprisoning the (very cute) animal. However, maybe after you escape the griffin actually deos turn out to be evil? I mean everyone is expecting it to die at the end, but knowing team ICO thats way to obvious to happen.

So, do you guys think I'm insane, or only mildly-delusional?

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 38 (6,851 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jan 8, 2010

I never noticed the green eyes or strange head, either - thanks for noticing that! How strange. Definitely can't be human, unless the helmets are made to make them look that way. Is it just me or, looking carefully, do their heads look like bird heads? Look:

But then again, the masks are tall enough (and those two black dots might be eye holes) to leave plenty of room for the possibility that their helmets are shaped this way (and the glowing eyes could be as simple as mirrors or magic) for some unfathomable reason. Both possibilities are interesting. That also looks like, almost, a glyph on the armor - wonder what? 

A few more thoughts:

-The clothing of Wander, Ico, Emon and the boy are very similar. The bottom half of Emon & Wander's cloths match exactly Ico's cloth, and the general clothing style is very similar, even the color. So why's the weakpoint sigil on the clothing of so many people, but not the boy? My best guess is this: the sigil has a basis in magic related to Dormin and his being sealed, and has perhaps become simply a symbol of warding against evil or something like that to whatever people Wander, Ico, etc belong to. If that were true, it could explain a little why it's no longer seen on clothing: it either hasn't been used yet or no longer is felt to be needed.

-Dormin has horns, certainly. But they're tiny, not the gigantic horns that even little Ico has. They're baby's horns. So if Trico is Dormin, this game must take place long before the events of SotC. We have a problem, though. As I've mentioned earlier (maybe it's just me) but the technology level of Ico's castle is far more advanced, it seems, than the technology found in the sealed-off Forbidden Lands. Whenever Dormin was sealed off must have been long before the technology found in Ico's castle was developed. But the technology of TLG seems around the same time as Ico, meaning either this isn't Dormin or there's more to the time frame than is obvious.

-I like the idea of the guards all being on creature and being "The Last Guardian". I don't think there's really anything in particular to support or contradict this, although Trico seems the more obvious choice (but no less true). 

Eagerly awaiting FFXIV and The Last Guardian for PS3.
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 38 (6,851 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
171 posts

Jan 8, 2010

I read somewhere that Ueda confirmed that time doesn't exist in the Forbidden Lands.  Or time stops in the Forbidden Lands.  Something along those lines.  So that may make the timeline a bit confusing. 

Another idea:

What if the Last Guardian is the last existing creature that has the curse of Dormin?  We have these demonic guards who seem to be guarding this griffin.  You know how the queen harvested the horned boys power?  Well maybe these guards, or the one who controls these guards, is trying to harvest the last remaining part of Dormin.  If this griffin dies, then Dormin no longer exists. These demons/shadow creatures are trying to resurrect Dormin by using the horned Griffin.

The only thing I can't explain is how the curse of Dormin wound up in an animal, when it seems like it was only in people.  I hope Ueda keeps his mind out of the gutter, lol. 

This theory also sets us up for the Griffin needing to die at the end, which most people believe will happen anyway. 

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 38 (6,851 Views)
0 Likes