Highlighted
Dec 13 2009
By: Colossus_1191 Lombax Warrior 171 posts

The Last Guardian - Theories, thoughts and discussion

37 replies 678 views Edited Dec 13, 2009

2010 is approaching, which means we likely get to play The Last Guardian within a year!  I know that Team ICO has given us little to no information about this game, but we should still discuss our theories and ideas. 

What we do know so far:

- We again play as a young boy.  His age looks to be similar to that of Ico and he has tattoos all over his body. 

- Just like Ico and SotC, we again get a companion.  This time, instead of a girl or a horse, we get a giant bird like creature.  The creature is locked up for some unknown reason, and seems to have horns.  This companionship seems like it will be even more integral part of the game than the ones in Ico and SotC (although this is debatable, since you can't beat SotC or ICO without your companion). 

- Seems to take place in an ancient city.  Perhaps a mix of the open ended world of SotC and the indoor environments of ICO.  The trailer showed both the expance of the world and some of the temples and other inclosed areas the boy will be in. 

So, lets start the discussion.  I'll start with a few ideas that have been thrown around...

- Is the griffin related to Dormin?  Is the griffin Dormin himself? 

- The tattoos on the boy suggest he is in a tribe.  Could it be the same tribe/village Wander and/or Ico belonged to?  Could the boy be a young Lord Emon? 

- Is the city in the trailer actually the forbidden lands before they became forbidden?

All ideas, theories, questions, etc. are welcome! 

Message 1 of 38 (678 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: The Last Guardian - Theories, thoughts and discussion

Dec 19, 2009
  •  In relation to ICO: I'd wager this is most likely still a very post-apocalyptic looking setting; ruins, weathered structures, etc. Looks like a bit of a strategy, though due to the giant bird thing it'll probably have a bit of interactive platforming, seeing as Yorda probably restricted much of any potential jumping ledge fun we had in SotC. Maybe the area he's in is deteriorating, or is under patrol, because I doubt that Ueda will ever create a game where people openly speak to you and vice versa. 
  • In relation to SotC: Well, there's the bird, obviously. Game physics, at least in terms of climbing, will probably be identical to SotC. Though, seeing as this is a PS3 game, ledge climbing will probably be more advanced than fur, feathers, ledges, and moss. Additionally, the boy can apparently pick up things, and probably will be able to push/pull; however, I don't see any sort of weaponry. Maybe the boy is yet another Uedan exile (like Wander & Ico), seeing as he's befriended a beast. The Lord Emon suggestion would be awesome, though I don't really see how they'd tie that into a chronologically sound plot. I'm sort of done with the Dormin b.s., though, to be honest! SotC pretty much allowed people to rant about how he was manifested in everything, and I'd like a bit more originality in that regard. 

Message 2 of 38 (678 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
262 posts

Dec 25, 2009

I don't think the boy in The Last Guardian could be Lord Emon.  He has tattoos on his hands and Emon does not.  I'm wondering what kind of culture would tattoo a child like that, especially the fingertips- ouch!  Maybe they are markings that he was born with.

Message 3 of 38 (678 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3215 posts

Dec 26, 2009

RaisinGirl wrote:

I don't think the boy in The Last Guardian could be Lord Emon.  He has tattoos on his hands and Emon does not.  I'm wondering what kind of culture would tattoo a child like that, especially the fingertips- ouch!  Maybe they are markings that he was born with.

or a way of making his "curse" know to the world... like a brand or something.

i am going with the assumption of a "cursed fate" since that is an intergral theme in the previous games.

in fact, props to Ueda for changing my view on "fate."  I had always thought of fate as being associated with living people, as in, once you die that is the end of your destiny and you have fulfiled your fate... but in SotC, Mono's cured fate was fulfilled nly through the sacrifice that was meant to prevent her cursed fate from happening.  showing that the people of the village were under the same imprssion as I was!  The self-fulfilling-fate thing has been done to death, but what a great twist on it!  beautiful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chavez The Monster Hunter
Message 4 of 38 (678 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3215 posts

Dec 26, 2009

as for the big cat/bat thing... i think that IS the last guardian.

a remnant of an old day, from the time when those werent ruins, but a great civilization that was protected by huge chimera-dragon-neverending story-luck dragon-thing.

somehow, things changed.  time passed.  the acnient ways forgetten.  whatever.  now were in the present and there is only one guardian left... and its been imprisoned.  maybe it wasnt kill becasue of a fear of angering some ancient spirits like Dormin or the Queen.  kind of a religious/spiritual loophole where if they dont all die, the sh it wont go down by angering an ancient god!  

or a new civilization is rising... one that has forgotten or never knew of the old ways.  They have no respect for the lands or have no understanding of why they angered the Last Guardian, so when it does attack them, they overwhelm it, as its the only one and the last, and caprute it.

it seems like it was recently captured, based on the arrows and spears sticking out of it.

its called a GUARDIAN... so its guarding something... an ancieant land, an artifact, a prisoner... the colossi were also guardians!

there are some thoughts on it

Message Edited by SapienChavez on 12-26-2009 11:41 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chavez The Monster Hunter
Message 5 of 38 (678 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 27, 2009

If the game is a prequel then maybe the boy is dormin; before realizing his Power or "Fate".

Like most evil beings there is an innocents that gets corrupted. That could involve the beast dying or a battle when the creature realizes that the boy is it's nemesis.

If it's placed in recent times then I haven't got a clue. We can all agree that TEAM ICO is unpredictable, knows how to tell a damn good story. that we make in a general sense.

Message 6 of 38 (678 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1003 posts

Dec 31, 2009
Gameplay-wise I just hope its an open world like Shadow of the Colossus. After finally playing ICO it doesn't have as much potential for replaying as SotC did. It would also be cool to get the beast out in the open and see how fast it could run, jump, and climb. Imagine being able to climb to the top of this castle/temple that most of the gameplay is shown in while still on the beast's back.

One thing I'm curious about is how or if we will even be able to control it when we climb on it. Ueda said it won't always listen to you and it is not very smart. I'm not sure what that means in comparison to controlling Agro.

I think I recall seeing the enemies in the trailer trying to take the boy. This might be a reversal of ICO. Maybe you will have to have faith in the beast to save you from whatever is taking you instead of how in ICO you were saving Yorda from the shadows. Then again the boy did seem to take care of them on his own when he makes that stuff fall on one of the enemies.

Either way this is my most anticipated game. I can't wait for more info!
Message Edited by DJD1 on 12-31-2009 03:44 PM
Message 7 of 38 (678 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jan 4, 2010

I honestly just found out about this last night. I literally squealed, ran around the house and informed a few angry ex-sleepers. Let the jumping up and down excitedly ensue.

Some thoughts:

• The tattoos do look very tribal, certainly. And his clothing and physical appearance seems very similar to Ico. However, he is lacking the cloth with the sigil on it that Wander and Ico have. And if he's a relatively close descendant or ancestor of someone, it's definitely not Wander - he'd have horns if the descendant theory is correct and physically he looks more closely related to Ico. If the descendant theory is true, and he's related to Ico, why the lack of horns? That suggests the curse was broken. Or he could simply by from the same tribe. Why would he have tattoos and not Ico, though, if they're from the same tribe, both male, and both the same age? Could be simply a change in culture, or maybe he is a shaman, or at least is supposed to be one. Or he could be from a neighboring tribe, etc etc. However Wander and Lord Emon both have very light skin compared to Ico and the boy. If Ico's a descendant of Wander, of course after several generations the horned boys would have the darker skin color. However if anything the skin color is an indication that the boy is likely not closely related, in time or genetics, to Emon or Wander.
  • Why would the griffin be Dormin? They just don't seem to have anything alike. There's countless connections for just about everything in the three games and that's one of the few things with no connections, unless I've missed something.
  • From the trailer, the ancient city looked more like an island to me. I can't imagine where it would be in the forbidden lands. However with the giant metal chain, it seems more a product of the time/place that the Ico castle was in. There, chains and machinery were possible, while you didn't see that in the forbidden lands. But then again, the setting looks very overgrown and old. So it would likely have been built longer ago than Ico's castle.
  • Is there any confirmation that "the last guardian" is actually referring to the griffin?

Eagerly awaiting FFXIV and The Last Guardian for PS3.
Message 8 of 38 (678 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
171 posts

Jan 4, 2010

To YetiMonster - The griffin being dormin or related to dormin has to do with the horns.  As suggested by the ending of SotC, horns come directly from Dormin.  Wander being reborn with a little Dormin inside of him caused him to have horns, and for his descendants (like Ico and those many other ones trapped in the castle) to have horns as well.  So when we see that the griffin has a small pair of horns on his head, one can only imagine that he has something to do with Dormin. 

We know that Dormin is a collective group, and often referred to himself as "we" in SotC.  My guess is that this griffin is just one of the parts of Dormin. Given the title of this new game, this griffin might be the last guardian........the last part of Dormin.   

These guards in the trailers look rather demonic to me, and not human. I think they are keeping the griffin locked up for sinister reasons (creation of Dormin, or adding power to "them").  This child is then trying to save this creature, and perhaps prevent his power from getting into Dormins hands.

As for the boy....he still could be an ancestor of Wander.  Wanders direct ancestors wouldn't have horns.  He was only reborn with them after Dormin was destroyed inside him.  Anyone before Wander wouldn't have horns....only his descendants would.  Overall, I just think he belongs to the same village/tribe, but not necessarily blood related to either Wander or Ico.  I think the tattoos suggest that this boy was deemed special, a "chosen one" type legacy.   

Also, chains and metal pipes might be available in the timeframe within SotC, but the forbidden lands have been deserted for so many years that they just don't exist there.  But overall I agree, the city and the forbidden lands don't seem a likely match. 

Message 9 of 38 (678 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jan 5, 2010

The horns - I hadn't thought of that at all, thanks. I thought it was a bit odd that anyone would think him related to Dormin. Makes sense, now - thanks.

If that's true about the soldiers, I'd wonder why they've stuck him with spears and arrows (it's possible it wasn't them but they seem the clearest answer). If that is true, also, the title would suggest they've done it to other guardians. It would also mean that the boy fails to protect Trico... =(

Eagerly awaiting FFXIV and The Last Guardian for PS3.
Message 10 of 38 (678 Views)
0 Likes