Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
5095 posts

Re: So.. would you rather have SOTC 2?

Jun 26, 2009

duck-of-chaos wrote:

I wouldn't want a SotC 2. Having 40 bosses in what you seemto be describing as a 40 hour plus game would ruin the novelty of Shdow of the Colossus. The whole theme of Fumito Ueda's games are minimalism: the games are fairly short with simple story lines and not too many bad guys. Heck, even the color scheme being dilapidated could correspond to being minimalistic. So having a game jam packed with things isn't Team ICO's style: they like simple games with surprising depth.

Also (sry for the off-top) when I saw Argetlam's name I had the wierdest feeling of deja-vu. I know I've seen that name before. Have you been a poster on the SotC board before, or is that name taken from a character in a book or movie? Its bothering the heck out of me.

I second this.

The focus of SOTC was on the Colossi, if you put 40 of htem in a game, they would never be memerable.

You'd get conversations like this:

"Hey, remember #32, that one was so hard!"
"which was that?.. the turtle?"

"no, that was #35"

"oh, was it the giant mouse?"

"no, it was the one that looks human"

"there are like 15 that look human"

"oh yeah. hurr durr durr."

They'd also probably run out of ideas for Colossi too, so they'd ether go into the unrealistic - "#36 - the half lion, half bird, half dog"

Or they'd just get too lame - "#36 - the Seagull."

SOTC would ruin teh feeling anyway, it's in a bubble of perfection at hte moment and anything new would weigh it down too much. 

Including this film :smileymad:

DarkPhoenix

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 47 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Jun 27, 2009

That's a terrible idea. 

Shadow of the Colossus isn't just a game. It's a work of art. A direct sequel with the ideas you suggested would completely ruin the magic of the original game. 

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 47 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13265 posts

Jun 27, 2009

I'd rather have something original, something that will surprise me.  I do think there's quite a bit of room for improvement with SofC, but what's done is done.  Best to move on.  Besides, any game put out by Team ICO will have a similar feel to it and a similar aesthetic.  So in essence it will be a sequel, if not a literal one.  Also, watching the trailer for the new game, it looks like they've incorporated elements from both previous games.  That's great, but at the same time, I'm actually kinda worried it will be too much like it's predecessors!

I have to admit, when SofC came out, I was dissapointed it wasn't ICO II.  But I got over it.  Now, I think it would be a mistake to take such a safe route.  Besides, all the games are connected anyway.  They all seem to exist in the same universe.  I think as each game is released, more pieces of the puzzle will present themselves and fall together.  The full picture will become clearer with time.  I believe The Last Gaurdian is a sequel, just not a direct sequel.  Each game is a vignette in a larger tableaux.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 47 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Jun 30, 2009
rather have shadow of collossus 2
Sig provided by myu2sig.com !
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 47 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jul 1, 2009

To be honest I would prefer a SoTC2 just not like he said with 40 Colossi

Like others said, they would run out of Ideas and for sure every review would say "It gets repetitive"

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 47 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Jul 18, 2009
Just wait. There could be a pattern. The Last Gardian looks like the gameplay will be similar to ICO. So maybe Ueda's next game will be similar to SOTC.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 47 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jul 24, 2009
Personally, I think it would be a travesty to ignore some kind of sequel for this game. I wouldn't dare flirt with ideas of what should be included in the content, that's the developer's job. But I highly doubt that anybody would be disappointed with the outcome. I've always wanted a game that let me fight bosses so massive that I would have to climb them to finish them off, and SOTC answered for me on so many levels. Does nobody want to imagine the amazing things they could accomplish on the PS3? Team ICO, if you are listening, I WANT MORE!
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 47 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
558 posts

Jul 24, 2009

Let's see why this is a bad idea.

Shadow of the Colossus:

"There were 16 Colossi Wander had to kill in order for Dormin to save Mono. When he killed them all, he had found he was "tricked" and was being possessed by the entity. When Emon and his men arrive, they seal him in the Forbidden Land. Mono is resurrected and must live forever in the Forbidden Land while taking care of the resurrected Wander, which is a baby with horns".

Ok, pretty much perfect. Sums up the story well.

Now these are the flaws if they made a sequel:

Shadow of the Colossus 2 flaws:

1. They sealed Dormin for a short period of time. A little bit of Dormin is in the horned children. The horned children are actually kind of the new Colossi, but in human form, not earth form, and they have much less of Dormin inside.

Why would we need more Colossi? Dormin has already made new ones, I'm guessing.

2. Who would kill the Colossi? Mono? No, and I don't know why people want her to be the main character in the would-be SotC2. Wander? No because he is the new race of Colossi. Horned children? Same as Wander.

3. Story... Well, say there were more Colossi for some weird reason (or no reason). Well, the only reason to kill Colossi was to resurrect someone. But who really wants to do that? The bridge was cut off, and Mono and Wander have no one to resurrect.

Think about it. Do you really want a Shadow of the Colossus 2, or do you actually want a revised version of Shadow of the Colossus on a PS3 with extra bosses and extra content with all the scrapped ideas into place? But even this would go against canon unless they were optional bosses that had nothing to do with the story.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 47 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Jul 25, 2009
It's about originality, Team ICO wants to make a brand new IP everytime they develop a game. I think the next game will be great.
---------------------

The soothing music of 5 ten-year olds screaming at the top of their lungs after eating a slice of 5.56 pie. It makes you feel good inside
O o
/��________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR!!!BLARGHHHH!!!!
\_������������������������������������������������
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 47 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Aug 1, 2009
I wouldn't mind a sequel, in the same vein but with elements of ICO. It would be like a next-gen Zelda.
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 47 (4 Views)
0 Likes