Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 28 2009
By: DBEAU86 I Only Post Everything 1267 posts

Question about The last Guardian

8 replies 12 views Edited Sep 28, 2009

I am very interested in The Last Guardian and am planning to buy it whenever it come out but I have a question...

Is it going to be a direct sequal to the previous titles? Am I going to miss out on the story if I have never played the others?

I don't have a B/C PS3 and my ps2 broke long ago so I can't very well play the previous titles.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message Edited by DBEAU86 on 09-28-2009 12:29 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Re: Question about The last Guardian

Sep 28, 2009

Everything I've ever read, the first two titles were not "direct" sequels. (But, they very well seem to be.) So as far as the story.. it seems to be up to the player to connect the storylines.  I'm sure you could get the game and still enjoy it without the other two. I've only ever played SoTC and not Ico, and it hasn't hurt gameplay or my love for the game one bit. But I am intrigued by the link of them... so I plan on playing Ico at some point.

Also, I'm sure this games awhile out.. and with ps2's at rock-bottom prices, get one and play the others while you wait. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
166 posts

Sep 28, 2009

if memory serves, SotC was a PREQUEL to Ico and tLG is supposed to be a PREQUEL to SotC

no, each game stands on it's own. the story is hard enough to figure out

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
171 posts

Sep 29, 2009
Well its not like a normal trilogy where the stories are a continuation. These are more like 3 different games that are vaguely connected to each other. For example Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are two completely different games. Different gameplay and different stories. But the ending of Shadow makes the connection to ICO obvious. So its not like you have to play the first two to "understand" The Last Guardian, but if you want to see the connection to get the full scope of the games then I highly recommend it.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
800 posts

Oct 11, 2009

the ending of Sotc definitely connects itself to Ico but now in a way that spells it out for you, you have to do a bit of thinking and guessing. Ueda left it to the player to decide how they are connected.

You don't have to play either game though to understand what's going on and both games, like the guy above me said, are completely different. I only played Ico once, back when it was first released so i don't remember much about it, my friend found a copy though at a gamestop and is sending it my way, .

Ico is really hard to find, at a decent price at least, but Sotc you can find on amazon brand new for 20 bucks.

Play both, they're both outstanding games. Hopefully if all goes well we'll be seeing Ico and Sotc for the ps3 similar to what sony is doing for god of war 1 and 2.

ps2, psp go, ps3 80gig, headset, playstation eye

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 11, 2009
Local store (by local I mean 50 miles away LOL) had Ico used for $30.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2649 posts

Oct 23, 2009

I heard a good theory that the guardian is a form of colossus, possibly a very young one not yet fully formed (and covered in moss) and that The Last Guardian could be a prequel to Shadow of the Colossus, like that was to Ico, and could give valuable clues as to how the forbidden land from SotC became the way it did with massive freaks wandering round everywhere. It wouldn't give direct info though. The ending of SotC didn't explicitly state that Ico was a descendant of Wanda/Wander/The Wanderer but the implications were there, you just had to dig around a bit.

My theory - at the end of The Last Guardian Trico, or whatever the creature's name is, will become possessed by an evil force (Dormin?) and you will have to take it down and it will die, but it's 'essence' :smileytongue: will be dispersed across the land Trapping the evil spirit in 16 bodies that rose from the flesh of the guardian. *spoilers* This evil spirit also possesses Wander at the end of SotC who does his best to fight it but his sacrifice is not enough and this gives rise to the Ico curse (hence the horned baby) *spoilers end*

Gameplay wise I don't think it'll be a whole new experience - it will be like a cross between the childlike inexperienced combat of Ico and the climbing and exploration mechanics of SotC.

Revellation Sig
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
558 posts

Oct 24, 2009

Dormin was sealed by his former followers, and I don't think he/she/they had any need to possess a griffon. So I really disagree with the theory that the griffon is the cause of Dormin's imprisonment.

Maybe Dormin's creation, but I'm not so sure about the timeline of this game. I really hope it's Post-ICO though, because I want to know what will happen to the horned boys after the castle has been destroyed.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8519 posts

Oct 27, 2009
They're very loosely related. It's never directly said (in game at least) that the games are actually in the same universe, but it's fairly easy to figure that out if you think for a bit. You'll only see minor connections to the previous to Ico games.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes