Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Umbrella Scientist
14053 posts

Re: Changes that S2 HD could use, and changes it DON'T need.

Mar 24, 2011

xUnSeeNx wrote:

great post but before we give zipper and sony any new thoughts lets just get socom 2 hd on the psn with no changes..nuff said but dont get me wrong tomb i got much respect for you

Problem with that idea is we would get that same poor hit detection and same terrible map changes to some of the carry over maps from S1 not to mention things like dolphin diving. The point of a remake would be to take that great game and just fix the few things that held it back from hitting its full potential.

Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 20 of 82 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
896 posts

Mar 24, 2011

It's sad for me today. I have read enough reviews that I am no longer holding out ANY hope for S4. I will be going out and buying a PS2 in the next month and buying all the old Socoms again and going back to them until they can build us a new S2.

I was kind of holding out hope, but no longer. There are too many postings that bare out the true nature of that game. Zipper has abondon there intgrity and have chose to focus on being part of the masses who like respawn, COD, FPS crapola. Very sad.

I have seen in the past years people putting together campaigns to bring back old Socom, but never really take hold. I really think the only way this will happen is if we get a real campaign that will sway Zipper to doing this. This would cost money to do, but is really the only way to get their attention.

I hope to see you guys on S2 one night.

Message 21 of 82 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Mar 24, 2011

very good list of what i would like to see aswell

Message 22 of 82 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14053 posts

Mar 25, 2011

WAR_PIG wrote:

It's sad for me today. I have read enough reviews that I am no longer holding out ANY hope for S4. I will be going out and buying a PS2 in the next month and buying all the old Socoms again and going back to them until they can build us a new S2.

I was kind of holding out hope, but no longer. There are too many postings that bare out the true nature of that game. Zipper has abondon there intgrity and have chose to focus on being part of the masses who like respawn, COD, FPS crapola. Very sad.

I have seen in the past years people putting together campaigns to bring back old Socom, but never really take hold. I really think the only way this will happen is if we get a real campaign that will sway Zipper to doing this. This would cost money to do, but is really the only way to get their attention.

I hope to see you guys on S2 one night.

Well war i would say when the beta becomes public download and you can get it do give the beta a try first. I'm not to pleased with it but everyone has to have their own hands on to know for sure if they like it. Some people who thought they would love it hate it now, some who thought they would hate it love it. Some feel the same as they did before going into it. So you will never really know for sure unless you see for yourself.

Message 23 of 82 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
139 posts

Mar 25, 2011

well if u were to read the tiny list of things they would fix hit detection and lag/glitches are what they would do..

Message 24 of 82 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14053 posts

Mar 27, 2011

xUnSeeNx wrote:

well if u were to read the tiny list of things they would fix hit detection and lag/glitches are what they would do..

Well depends how they did it, if it was just an upscaled port of an old Socom it probably wouldn't fix much of the old bugs. If it was redone ground up totally in HD on a new game engine then they have a chnace to fix a wider array of the problems in the original Socom 2.

Thats one serious misconception the dev has is that we just want the same game bugs included and that we wouldn't be happy without the bugs cause then it would play different. I don't think you will find a single person complaining if it plays a bit different due to the bugs smoothed out so long as the actual intended gameplay features work the same. The idea is to get rid of those few troubling issues that held the game back so that there is no massive hit detection issues, or bad frame rates, or laggy servers, or cheaters. A remake with fixes to these issues could make Socom 2 HD the ideal experience we wished we had rather then the annoyances thatwe got the first time.

No one is going to say " I don't like the new Socom 2 cause its runs smooth without choppiness and guys die when i shoot them and I can't find cheaters in any rooms."

Message 25 of 82 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
822 posts

Re: Changes that S2 HD could use, and changes it DON'T need. {updated}

Mar 27, 2011

i agree

-its just that i sorta liked the dolphin dive :smileyhappy: it made the game have a different level of fun, and stressed the heck out of people. i think the dolphin dive and reload stuff would be rendered useless though if there was better hit detection. but i loved it, especially in pistols!! 

-but also they have to make sure that there is a custom weapons option for ucrr's, assumong there would be ucrr's and lobbies, for all those people that liked no bombs, pistols, shotguns only, etc.

-i also think the character movements and physics are amazing in s1/s2, and i wouldnt want them to mess with them cause they will just mess it up again like they do with everything else

we nee original s1/s2 de.50 and mark 23 please...

Message 26 of 82 (15 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1398 posts

Mar 28, 2011

I agree that if socom 2 hd was to be made most of these features would be great.  But the more i think about it, the less i want a carbon copy of S2 on the ps3.  Dont get me wrong  I want socom, but socom 5. Small maps, but new ones, all of the old mechanics and flow back...with maybe some add ons of some sort. I would say that zipper cant be involved in this project as we have already seen how incapable they are of giving the socom community what they want.

Confrontation=Bad, but not bad enough to not play with my clan...Bought it and played it

SOCOM 4=So bad that my clan will be playing without me if they themselves decide to buy the game.  Zipper will not get my money.

Message 27 of 82 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Mar 28, 2011

I dont think they should mess with the weapons.  I think they should keep it the way they were in S2.  No customization.  Maybe add like an STG-SD or an AK-SD.  But I think Socom is better without customizable weapons, or SCON and S4 ruined that feature for me.  I dk.  I just want this remake!!! 

Message 28 of 82 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1866 posts

Mar 28, 2011

TOMBSTONE4U wrote:

{Impotant note update: If you do a Socom classic remake of any kind it needs its OWN game engine designed to pull off the kind of features and functions of the past games. Alot of people have said they voted no to the S2 HD remake poll just for the fact it mentions being done on the MAG engine, engine limitations has been the excuse for alot of missing features in S4 so a new Socom specific game engine would be vital for the success of this game as well as future PS 3 Socoms for implementation of Socom staple features}

This is how you make the ultimate Socom remake that would please fans of not just Socom 2 but fans of both of the first two games.

Acceptable changes for an S2 remake :

1} Make Abandoned a day time map as was in Socom 1

2} Use the Socom 1 version of Rat's Nest, Death Trap, and Ruins. {architecture changes weren't better in S2}

3} fix the hit detection to be more like Socom 1

4} Fix the dolphin diving glitch but have a reasonably fast animation for getting back on your feet thats more natural looking. {Socom 4 actually has the kind of dive S2 should have had, one of very few thngs it did right}.

5} The Socom 1 scoreboard that shows how many hits players took in the round

6} Next gen graphics

7} slightly different character physics and movements {This couldn't be helped on a new system and game engine so this is a change thats understandable,the hope is that you could ease up on real time physics of movement though so it doesnt come across as clunky controlling the character with the player not stopping immediately cause of movement physics or things like that}.

8} Adding new missions to the Single player portion

9} Removing Distance fog

10} toning down the IW and M14 a little so that all guns become relevant

11} Removing grenade launchers from the game {or at least toning then down where you only get one or two shots with it like an RPG. The RPG was never that bad cause it was one shot and loss of mobility while shooting but the GL weapons had no mobility penalty and 12 to 18 rounds which made them way too overpowered}

12} make the health bar optional in UCRR so that S1 folks can play their way.

13} a new dedicated server with latest cheat stopping technology to eliminate the worst two problems that plagued that game { lag and cheaters with hit detection being a very close third in the major problems the game needed fixed}

===================================================================================

Changes that should NEVER be in and S2 HD remake:

1} A sprint button

2} Replacing FPV alternate with OTS view {OTS should be no where near this game period}

3} Slow straffing speeds {At the very least, Socom 1 speed which was just a notch under Socom 2 would be ok but nothing CON like please}

4} Fully customizabe weapons {allowing more assaults to have the scope of the 552 and M4A1would be acceptable but no sniper range scopes on all weapons, kills the tactics and dillutes the importance of each weapon in the arsenal.}

5} "overhauling" the maps {changing maps too much is how a map like Rat's Nest went from a Classic in S1 to a "skip it" map in S2, you can really kill a game when you mess around with the architecture of fan favorite maps}.

6} Any other changes that would be considered for a "broader audience" that were not in either of the first two games of the series.

{update}

7} There should be no compromise to the game whatsoever to add in move support, Do not remove recoil, do not remove a grenade arc, do not add rediculous amounts of bullet spray,etc. The purpose of an S2 remake would be to get away from the changes that destroyed this franchise, so don't make similar changes that would defeat the whole idea of making a remake cause the game will fail hardcore if you did.

====================================================================================

If you were to use this outline you would create the perfect Socom 2 remake that surpasses the greatness of the original one itself. It would easily outsell all these "broader market" attempts at a Socom game and give you a real broader audience that reflects on the sales sheets rather then just in PR talking points.

agree other then number 4 i liked the fact that i could put on a limited attachment on weapons meaning i could put mid scops on most assualts (thats real life) and its still harder to snipe someone with an assualt then a sniper so scopes are fine but it just should be limited like no higher then mid scopes

LMGs should get scopes also acog at the very least

Message 29 of 82 (15 Views)
0 Likes