Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 01 2011
By: Sushi_Pirate Fender Bender 4029 posts

Why SOCOM?

225 replies 346 views Edited Sep 1, 2011

Hey everyone, quick question for you that I'm curious about.  Essentially, why SOCOM? 

I feel that many who post on the SOCOM forum are evangelists for the series either good or bad, with roots stretching back nearly a decade, as such I want to get to the core of what made you fall in love with the franchise in the first place, and what are the real core elements in future games that would bring you back.  From brainstorming a bit here are some of the keys I came up with:

-3rd person shooter

-Tactical

-Realistic

-Sense of Community

-Sense of Teamwork

-Roots/ties

-Gameplay (specifically what aspects)

-Fast paced nature

-Stealth

-Variable tactics and ever shifting gameplay/matches

There are many more I'm sure, but what I'd like to ask you is, what are the top three core things about SOCOM for you that made the game and franchise what it is?  Also why are they important?

Thanks in advance guys for keeping it civil and constructive. 

-SP

Message 1 of 226 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2350 posts

Re: Why SOCOM?

Sep 1, 2011

the co op of CA.

everyone playing smart to get the job done.

the game keeping its own identity instead of trying to fall in with the rest of the group just because they are doing it.

derrick,rose,nba,all,star,signature,sig,lol,nbamixeswk
Message 2 of 226 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2428 posts

Sep 1, 2011

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

Hey everyone, quick question for you that I'm curious about.  Essentially, why SOCOM? 

I feel that many who post on the SOCOM forum are evangelists for the series either good or bad, with roots stretching back nearly a decade, as such I want to get to the core of what made you fall in love with the franchise in the first place, and what are the real core elements in future games that would bring you back.  From brainstorming a bit here are some of the keys I came up with:

-3rd person shooter

-Tactical

-Realistic

-Sense of Community

-Sense of Teamwork

-Roots/ties

-Gameplay (specifically what aspects)

-Fast paced nature

-Stealth

-Variable tactics and ever shifting gameplay/matches

There are many more I'm sure, but what I'd like to ask you is, what are the top three core things about SOCOM for you that made the game and franchise what it is?  Also why are they important?

Thanks in advance guys for keeping it civil and constructive. 

-SP

Because it was the only online shooter on the ps2 that i was aware of

Message 3 of 226 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10895 posts

Sep 1, 2011

It's everything listed and more. It would take more than a few core principals returning to get me excited about this franchise like I was before. It's all those core principals and the 100s of small things that make SOCOM what it is/was.

Message 4 of 226 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1792 posts

Sep 1, 2011

Friends

Clan

Competition

All of which are sadly on life support since Socom 4.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 226 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4487 posts

Sep 1, 2011

The game play and maps of Socom 2.

Free userbars
Message 6 of 226 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2200 posts

Sep 1, 2011

There was a report in the last year or so about older gamers being at risk of heart attacks while playing video games. As far as I was concerned they were talking about me and SOCOM. Playing 1 life and having the added suspense of gun hot to make your heart pump like mad is SOcrack and that is why I am so addicted to this game. Too bad someone at Sony/Zipper thought this needed to change.

Message 7 of 226 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3771 posts

Sep 1, 2011

No harm is intended but due to interpretation conflicts here. Just go with Everything that made up Socom 1 and 2. If there is an advancement of some sort just make sure it doesn't interfere with what made up Socoms 1 and 2 . Done!

Message 8 of 226 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3150 posts

Sep 1, 2011

1. Clan Members and Team Work

2. Third Person Shooter that was also tactical

3. Game Modes (Every Socom except for S4) and Maps

Click Here for a more detail explanation

**I'm a SOCOMER, not a gamer**

**SOCOM is OFFICIALLY DEAD - INSERT SAD FACE**

Photobucket
Message 9 of 226 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17388 posts

Sep 1, 2011

I first bought socom 1 because it was advertised as the first console game with voices command.

Then I bought the network adaptor since I was studying in telecommunication back in 2000 and I loved the fact that I can play online againt ppl on a console.

I felt in love with socom when I finally took over the learning curve after a month or so of online play. Then from there I was hooked.

I started playing socom 1 online 6 month before socom 2 got released, then on socom 2 I met some friends, then more, then even more and finally I could not wait to get back home from work and play until 3-4 AM in the morning, then repeat the day after for the next 3 years. (from november 4th 2003 until somewhere in 2006 when I got my ps3)

Since then, I never played a game with that kind of rich, deep and accomplished gameplay. The fluidity, the fast paced action and the maps itself gave the first socom games so much to enjoy, that I just could not get enough of it and wanted to play again everytime I was turning off the console. Except those times where you would got owned by a freakin lagger or a lame code 9 user and you had to turn off the system before breaking something up, you know.

GTA V FTW !

PSN : Stackcluster
Born young, not dead yet !
Message 10 of 226 (346 Views)
0 Likes