Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1485 posts

Re: Zipline - Episode 28 Preview Thread

Jan 12, 2011

zpr_Roper wrote:

As we mentioned at the end of last year, some changes are coming to Zipline beginning with this week's episode. The most significant change is that we're moving away from the strict Q&A formula and moving more towards a topic-driven roundtable discussion.

This week's topic will be: Existing franchises vs. new franchises. Our special guest will be Zipper President Brian Soderberg.

What we're looking for from you guys is your thoughts on the topic. In this case, do you think it's great that we keep working on SOCOM titles? Were you glad to see us work on something new like MAG? What do you think about the industry's reliance on sequels year after year?

You're free to ask questions, but try to keep them related to the topic.

To be honest I have never played MAG. Too many first person shooters out there and I play mostly on the XBOX now anyways. Socom is Zippers top title in my opinion and should be their focus whether it be support or sequels.  I say Zipper makes SOCOM their HALO like bungie. Look how successful that title is. 

Message 41 of 68 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
146 posts

Jan 12, 2011
You know what Zipper keep making Socom again and again and you will find yourselves alone in a past generation of games, there is some really emerging top notch developers out there Kaos studios, giantgames, Zipper could fing it's self stand alone and looking like amateurs next to these game developers, if you folks dont move forward.
Message 42 of 68 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9821 posts

Jan 12, 2011

Existing franchises like the Socom franchise is your bread and butter.  New franchises like MAG should be developed as long as there is no sacrifice or tradeoffs made to your existing franchise.  The perfect example of what NOT to do is what happened with Confrontation, handing that over to an inexperienced developer (slant 6), which ended up tarnishing and destroying value to the Socom franchise.  Go ahead and develop new franchises but make sure you have a dedicated team on Socom that keeps pumping out newer versions, expansion and DLC packs. 

I was glad to see Zipper work on something new like MAG but I wasn’t happy that is was to the detriment of the Socom franchise.  MAG has the Zipper feel though which I loved, i.e teamwork, tactical, competitive, great maps, etc..  The disappointing part about MAG was I felt it was incomplete and critical elements like proper clan support and map options/balance was not there.  By the time all the other content and features came out everyone already bailed and moved onto other games.  Sony really screwed the Socom fans over, first with Confrontation and secondly with MAG.  I felt both games were incomplete. I know Zipper had nothing to do with Confrontation but the point is if you are going to make a new Socom or a new MAG or a new whatever just make sure it’s a quality product that is true to what Zipper is all about.

I think the industry's reliance on sequels year after year is great.  If you have a winning formula that the fans want and it makes you money why change a thing..  Build upon the base features and gameplay of the prior games while consistently adding more features, more maps and more content the fans want.

Socom = Cash cow

MAG and other franchises = Growth opportunities  

Don’t **bleep** with the cash cow but be bold enough to try new things (but make sure you do it right)

I see Zipper is looking for a Concept artist so that means you guys are getting ready to start drawing up some new ideas for a franchise.  I think you should do some more mech warrior type games with clan support.  That would be the bomb.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 43 of 68 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7470 posts

Jan 12, 2011

zpr_Roper wrote:

As we mentioned at the end of last year, some changes are coming to Zipline beginning with this week's episode. The most significant change is that we're moving away from the strict Q&A formula and moving more towards a topic-driven roundtable discussion.

This week's topic will be: Existing franchises vs. new franchises. Our special guest will be Zipper President Brian Soderberg.

What we're looking for from you guys is your thoughts on the topic. In this case, do you think it's great that we keep working on SOCOM titles? Were you glad to see us work on something new like MAG? What do you think about the industry's reliance on sequels year after year?

You're free to ask questions, but try to keep them related to the topic.

There is no doubt that I want Zipper to keep on developing the Socom franchise, as well as new franchises such as MAG. I will always play Socom and I enojyed playing MAG as well.

In fact, I would not mind seeing new game from zipper that would would take the best of smaller scale shooter and the best of mag and fuse them together for a whole new take on shooters.

Here is an example of  what this game could incorporate from MAG:

• skill tree system
  • weapon purchasing system
  • Clan support (aka Clan Deploy)
  • Group support

The differences in this game would start in the concept of the game. Instead of a shadow war that has three predetermined PMCs, players would have the ability for create their own private army. Each PMC could then participate in the larger world conflict and earn currency, by playing the various game modes, tournaments, special gaming events and accomplish certaing tasks.

The game modes would vary from large sized battles (somewhat like mag) to small group game modes (special forces type game modes). So groups of 8 up to 256 could find a way to play together and be able to compete with each other and earn currency and skill points which in turn they could use to better equip their character or just make it look cool.

There is more I could go into, but this is enough for me to ask my question at this point. I seems that Zipper already has the tech to make a game such as this possible.

Would this be something that you would even consider?

PSFGAMGING.COM

Playstation 3 Themes and overhead maps at my clan web site.
Message 44 of 68 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
243 posts

Jan 12, 2011

People tend to forget that alot of people have played SOCOM. I even run into people talking about it on shooters for both the PS3 and XBOX 360 believe or not. But here's the catch, I NEVER run into people on games LIKE COD. All the poeple that I have come across were playing tatical shooters such as Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Many gamers out there like tatical shooters. When I picked BFBC2 up last year, I tossed my MW2 out of the way and I have still been playing it since. To be honest, it's almost as addicting as SOCOM was back in the day. You know why? It's because you play with different people (who have headsets) and you communicate and work as a team.

As long as teamwork goes into the game, it'll be a success! :smileywink: Plus we're talking about SOCOM, I mean come on! :smileyvery-happy:

Been playin' since SOCOM 1
Message 45 of 68 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3918 posts

Jan 12, 2011
Im all for you staying with socom titles "IF" you go back to the classic style and core that made you popular in the first place! If you only improved what was wrong since the beginning of socoms , for example fix the graphics, servers, lag, refresh rates and truly do something about the glitchers! I also think since everyone's internet is different so bring back the ping meter to to keep those who have less of a internet package blocked from coming in those specific rooms. Thus lagging or causing the whole room to lag if they were the host or something similar.

Then if you do make some advancements stay within the boundry of classic style features and functions. Also if you can improve the classic features that would be great also. Once you have done this then you can add tons of content just like seen in socom 3. Now this would be a great socom title. These are but a few idea's

"IF" you can't do that let the series die!!!! It makes no sense turning socom into something it was never meant to be. Hint- Run button, OTS, Health regen get rid of these!

Message 46 of 68 (194 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1222 posts

Jan 12, 2011

This game no longer resembles Socom. IMO you would have benefited from a name change with this game. A missed opportunity.

Sell the Socom IP to another developer. Let someone else run with it or take it back to its roots.

Zipper should move on, make new games and never look back.

Message 47 of 68 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Jan 12, 2011

I have liked the SOCOM franchise since day 1. Confrontation bothered me with all of its changes, bugs, glitches, and now cheaters but the others have stayed around the same formula. I don't mind the small tweak here or there like what you tried with SOCOM 3 and Combined Assult but you can't expect to change too much without changing the face of the franchise.

You leave the formula close to the same with small tweaks and you'll get people to come back. Thats what the COD franchise does and has record breaking sales every year. Even though it seems like people lose interest in that game pretty quick.

Look at what you did with SOCOM 3: you added bigger maps, different modes, vehicles, and weapons. But you still left the gameplay feeling like SOCOM. I don't mind tweaks like this because you are expanding to the game/franchise without taking away with what got it started. But when Confrontation came out and added things like the run button, knifing, side switching, worthless sniper rifles (at the start), it just feels like too many things are changing and that it is no longer the game we love. Having a run button slows that game down and that can drive people away who want a faster paced game its a major change just like the others that are listed.

I didn't mind MAG but I felt like it was missing something that SOCOM has always had, balance. On SOCOM each side had it's own advantages and disadvantages depending on the map but it was still pretty balanced and kept everyone on a level playing field. With that established you then are dealing with player skill and that is something that no one can complain about and why most play SOCOM. They want to play with teamwork and tactics to figure out who is better than who. I understand Zipper's reason for developing MAG and wanting to jump on the COD money chain. The idea of MAG is great on paper but I feel not enough testing was done to make it lean more on the skill and teamwork of players than what PMC you are on.

So deciding to create a different Franchise isn't a bad thing but  don't allow another company to take it and put their own spin on it while you create that game and if you are going to keep MAG going as a franchise remember that people want to feel like their skill makes a difference not just who you choose to play as. Continue making GREAT SOCOM games and don't let it fall to the same trap all the other games are falling into... the COD trap. I'm personally tired of every game looking and feeling like COD. SOCOM is my game that hasn't completely gone that way (yet).

VR-4-

VR-4-
Message 48 of 68 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
790 posts

Jan 12, 2011
Of course it is great to see continued work on the SOCOM franchise... It is the only reason I own a PS3 (still waiting for that choice to pay off, mind you).

Industry reliance on sequels does not bother me. What bothers me is when the industry decides to take a sequel and basically make it a new game. The wildly successful franchises that deliver sequels year after year do so with the core of the game intact and relatively unchanged. Then there are the disasters... And the disasters waiting to happen...
Message 49 of 68 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
592 posts

Jan 12, 2011
existing franchises are great they give the consumer more of what they like. while a new franchises are a way to experiment with something new. but socom 4 i feel is neither, rather a ' reboot ' ( which has become ever so popular ) that projects itself as a sequel. a way for a pay check. for instance battlefield bad company is nothing like battlefield 2, bad company is a huge step back in my opinion. bf2 i would play with my entire clan and have to plan strategies, whereas bfbc is only 4 man groups and there isnt much strategy instead you run to the arrow kill/die and repeat. thats what i see socom 4 becoming, MAG ( which i play almost every friday with BHz ) in third person. MAG is a good game, but is much better on paper than in practice. thats what i see socom 4 becoming a mindless game of running and shooting of which call of duty started
Message 50 of 68 (194 Views)
0 Likes