Apr 24 2009
By: Online_Team Splicer 54 posts

Confrontation Tournament Feature

163 replies 63 views Edited Apr 24, 2009

Hi, Folks-

The QA team is working their way through Patch 1.50.  It's a big update with a lot of new features.  We will announce details on its release in a future update.

In the meantime, I found out some details about the Tournament Matches so I wanted to share some of that with you today.

Tournament Matches
Tournaments are bracketed matches of multiple teams going head-to-head on the field of battle. Tournaments will self-balance, so that there will not be an odd number of teams. Tournament matches are separate from clan ladder matches, so your clan standing will not increase. Your personal rank will advance, however.

Tournaments can take course over a set period of time. There are separate weekday and weekend tournaments to accommodate a variety of schedules. You can join a tournament as a solo player placed on a team or you can get a party together and join a tournament as a team.

Registration
If a player selects a tournament that has not yet started they may select the tournament and pre-register for it. Any player may join a tournament as either a team leader or a team member. Players may also be auto assigned to public teams. A player does not need to be in a clan to participate in a tournament.

Scheduling
Tournaments are divided into two timeslot categories, ‘Weekend Tournaments’ and ‘Weekday Tournaments’. Weekend Tournaments run Saturday-Sunday, Weekday Tournaments run Monday-Friday. Timeslots are further divided by region.

Structure
Matches are played in a single elimination format, without consolation rounds. A tournament is broken into qualifier rounds and final rounds. On weekdays, one Qualifier is played each day throughout the week. On weekends, Qualifier 1, Qualifier 2, and Qualifier 3 are played on Saturday, while Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Final rounds are played Sunday.

Team Creation
After registration a player may choose ‘Create Team’. After selecting this, the leader must enter a ’Team Name’. Immediately after the name is entered the team will appear as their active team in ‘My Tournaments’.

Joining a Team
After registration, there are several ways a player may join a team (other than creating one of their own). Methods include accepting a team invite, requesting to join a team, and awaiting auto assignment.

The Tournament Lobby
30 minutes before match start time the tournament lobbies will be created. At this time all teams will be randomly seeded and matched up against other teams. All players of each team will be sent a game invite to join the tournament lobby.

Advancing in the Tournament
After a match finishes each team will be notified of the result of the match. If a team is eliminated then they will no longer be registered in the tournament. Also, each player will not receive any future game invitations. If the team wins, then they will be given a notification of their next match start time. Players on winning teams will join the next bracket or round in the same way that the team joined the first tournament match. For the top three positions the team will be awarded a trophy in the form of bronze for third place, silver for second place or gold for tournament winner.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 164 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
887 posts

Re: Confrontation Tournament Feature

Apr 24, 2009
Ok, now for the real response. Good job on the update and I am probably wrong but since the patch is in QA then we should see it sooner than later I suppose.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 164 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Apr 24, 2009

Part of me wants to say thanks for the update and the other part wants to know how this game came out over 6 months ago and still isn't finished.

I understand this is a big update but shouldn't this have been something that was done before the game came out? I believe there was an interview with Allan even saying how they had the system working back in Jan 08.

...Can you guys get a Dev in here because I really need to get some questions answered.

The hostages have been extracted. Seals victorious. Fish Hook FTW!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 164 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Apr 24, 2009
About time we get some feedback but when is it going to be released. and for the D-pad lean, when we choose to turn it off, will it be how it used to when we just push right on the d-pad once to switch camera sides instead of holding it?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 164 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
224 posts

Apr 24, 2009

I still dont understand if their "QA" team is currently going through the patch WHY can't they tell us everything that is in the patch now ?  I'm just tired of this secrecy they have involving EVERYTHING.....  There would be less threads complaining about this and that if they would JUST FILL US IN.

If the patch is in QA, doesn't that mean that 1.50 is done and you're just making sure all the added features work correctly ??? 

Why not just tell us what else is in the patch so we can have something to be excited about ???

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 164 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Apr 24, 2009

Can't believe this game is over 6 months old and you are finally working on this patch to add all the stuff it woulda came with.

That been said all this looks sweet, and maybe it'll bring players back to the game (including myself).  But the question is also will it bring new players in?  The answer is probably not since no one things about Socom anymore.

I still highly question the idea of a rapid fire Desert Eagle being a 1 shot kill as well.

Looking forward to this patch coming out and maybe getting back into Socom.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 164 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1413 posts

Apr 24, 2009

Can't wait to see how they screw this feature up. I hear MAG is coming along nicely. MASSIVE ACTION GAME WWWWOOO HOOO

Slant Six GO BANKRUPT ALREADY!!!! YOU CAN'T SURVIVE OFF SONY'S MONEY FOREVER

Btw, when I click reply, I always have to reload the page because the first time it won't let me type anything.

slant six=worthless trash company. Please Sony, make a good SOCOM 4, like a truly next-gen SOCOM 4 with great gameplay, tons of levels, weapons, great graphics, and excellent online setup
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 164 (63 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Apr 24, 2009

this is a complete joke!!!! keep it up /6!

not only was this supposed to be released with the game, it is still not ready 6months later.... i bet you people never even started working on it until after you released this horrid game.

so again we get an update, and update with no actual news what so ever, an update saying "remember all the stuff that was supposed to be in the game on release? yea, we still working on that, hold tight for another month" seriously, you couldnt do any worse with what you call a company. rather than fixing a disaster with all the support you can, you give us 'some support' so instead of fixing it somewhat quick, you take over half a year.

please never make a ps3 game again, stick to your psp, its evident thas what you really care about, and thats why /6 will always fail.

all reviews said 6.5/10 or less, they were CORRECT!!!! as a company, your review should be a 2/10 or less, cause you are complete failures with no vision on how to run this franchise, give it up, seriously

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 164 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Apr 24, 2009

......when is the patch is coming out? dont care about a tourny feature that wont work and will need another patch to fix.

GIVE DLC INFO.STOP STALLING

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 164 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Apr 24, 2009
Sounds great, but missing a couple things:  Tentative date for patch 1.5, and DLC Details!!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 164 (63 Views)
0 Likes