Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Offline
6510 posts
 

Re: SOCOM needs to get their act together and save their fanchise!!!!!

Feb 8, 2013

HITMAN1342 wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

HITMAN1342 wrote:

Execrate wrote:

 

Slowing socom down in con is great IMO having games go to the last min is great. More teamwork more call outs....

I play CS and Moh all the time and they end it under 2 min usually. They are both alot of fun but I will take con longer battles over fast rushed matches.



SOCOM I and II used to squeeze every second out of every round as well, the game has always been tactically slow as in the planning for a round, but the play changes on the fly putting you in positions to react quickly on your feet. The problem with slowing down the game is that it not only closes the skill gap, but makes acting quickly on an attack an impossibility. If you ever played breach, a round never ends in the first 2 minutes. Extract? Extremely rare unless it's a poorly communicated squad that rushes and eats all the early round nades. Demo? No way, bombs constantly got planted at the buzzer. Escort? Possibly if the SEALs are not doing their job in protecting the VIPs.

 

I guess a lot of this comes down to map design as well, but I just feel I can't react quick enough to changing factors in Confrontation. For example when th SEALs are extracting hostages, I can never seem to get to the extraction point fast enough when I should be able to. I even get a timer which lets me know the SEALs are extracting and still can't move fast enough. We didn't even get a timer in SOCOM II and that was never a problem. It's like the AHL and the NHL in hockey terms, NHL is a much faster game and takes more skill than the AHL. I like the fast paced think on my feet in a split second or lose feeling at all times, but that is opinion.


 Well  i think they went with real life becuase  when extract or w/e you have so much time to  get away, they dont all day to wait in heli copter.. I think  emcumbrabce was great addition to socom but i dont think heavy heavy should have been  accessible, maybe  light and medium grades. a Weight plays a factor in real life.

  Some seem to forget socom 2 was arcadey gameplay,   And went with more realistic gameplay becuase alot wanted real accurate shooting  and hit detection, arcadey gameplay and mechanics couldnt to do that.  The anaolong  and  etc in socom con was touch sensitive  so it more for stealthly movement which socom franchise was about no  running and gunning at blazing speeds.. Alot seem to over look that part. I think in my own opinion that why  they added weight to get stealth  right and slowly movement and gun shooting accuracty( shooting  mechancis) right


Yes I will absolutely agree, the old SOCOM's were "arcady" but there is a fine line between realism and fun which is easily visible in SOCOM Confrontation. It's like saying Gears of War would be more fun if the Locusts were people, or Gran Turismo would be better without the driving line or with damage.....


 yes.  ALot seem to negelct alot of socom elements and try  push a " my truths" or " likes" agenda rather than the fact that be..
 Socom was nevr   about  being  foot loose ( running wildly)  it was stealth
Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 31 of 40 (352 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
Registered: 01/30/2013
Offline
5402 posts
 

Re: SOCOM needs to get their act together and save their fanchise!!!!!

Feb 11, 2013
Off topic comments have been removed from the thread. Please keep this discussion on-topic and civil. Happy posting!
U--J
PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Message 32 of 40 (309 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 03/12/2009
Offline
44 posts
 

Re: SOCOM needs to get their act together and save their fanchise!!!!!

Feb 17, 2013

yes u r right on them saving the game i play this for 11 yrs and now idk about this game.iff i have to put money down to fix this game i would and not only me all us socom fans need to hold hands and pray.lol

Message 33 of 40 (251 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/05/2006
Offline
1169 posts
 

Re: SOCOM needs to get their act together and save their fanchise!!!!!

Feb 19, 2013

Socom never was more popular than Socom 2.  That formula of:

 

1)  Single mode maps tailored to a specific mode (Suppression, Breach, Escort, Extraction, Demolition)

2)  Launching with plenty of maps which added to the variety (22 maps at launch if I'm not mistaken)

3)  Heavy breathing motion in scopes which made sniping much more difficult

4)  Scopes limited to sniper rifles and M4A1 silenced i think.  Kept people moving around the map.

 

The action was faster paced and more objective oriented.  The community as a whole liked it that way and often voted people who were just camping and drawing rounds out.

 

Socom 4 itself is not to blame for it's state.  Socom 4 was the natural progression of changes made starting with Socom 3:

 

1)  Single mode maps were replaced by Generic Multi-mode maps.  Breach, Escort, and Extraction never worked right, and as a result, were basically abandoned by the community for more generic COD modes like Control Points.  Socom 4's modes like Uplink, etc. were a natural progression of this.  The devs didnt want to let go of generic maps, so they had to come up with modes that would work on them.

 

2)  Like Socom 4, Socom 3 launched with less than half the maps of Socom 2.  Generic is not an excuse to skimp on map variety.  Even COD launches with 15 or so maps, then expands quickly with DLC.

 

3)  Breathing motion was taken out of the scopes in Socom 3, so sniping became easier.  Instead of maybe one sniper per team like in Socom 2, now all the sudden you had half the room sniping.

 

4)  Scopes were placed on assault rifles and other weapons in Socom 3, so now even more people could play a ranged game.  This slowed the rounds to a crawl and greatly increased the number of times a round would last the full 5 or 6 minutes.

 

Everyone likes to blame Socom 4, but Socom 3 is where this all started.  The one thing Socom 4 added to the mix was the cover system online.  That was a huge mistake as now the camping has been multiplied even further.

 

No Socom has sold as well as Socom 2, so if anyone wants to fix the series, Socom 2 is the best place to start.  In a gaming world where everyone is copying COD, something completely different is going to be a better seller than being one of the crowd.

 

Message 34 of 40 (235 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 09/11/2003
Offline
16881 posts
 

Re: SOCOM needs to get their act together and save their fanchise!!!!!

Feb 19, 2013

ArchAngeL-777 wrote:

Socom never was more popular than Socom 2.  That formula of:

 

1)  Single mode maps tailored to a specific mode (Suppression, Breach, Escort, Extraction, Demolition)

2)  Launching with plenty of maps which added to the variety (22 maps at launch if I'm not mistaken)

3)  Heavy breathing motion in scopes which made sniping much more difficult

4)  Scopes limited to sniper rifles and M4A1 silenced i think.  Kept people moving around the map.

 

The action was faster paced and more objective oriented.  The community as a whole liked it that way and often voted people who were just camping and drawing rounds out.

 

Socom 4 itself is not to blame for it's state.  Socom 4 was the natural progression of changes made starting with Socom 3:

 

1)  Single mode maps were replaced by Generic Multi-mode maps.  Breach, Escort, and Extraction never worked right, and as a result, were basically abandoned by the community for more generic COD modes like Control Points.  Socom 4's modes like Uplink, etc. were a natural progression of this.  The devs didnt want to let go of generic maps, so they had to come up with modes that would work on them.

 

2)  Like Socom 4, Socom 3 launched with less than half the maps of Socom 2.  Generic is not an excuse to skimp on map variety.  Even COD launches with 15 or so maps, then expands quickly with DLC.

 

3)  Breathing motion was taken out of the scopes in Socom 3, so sniping became easier.  Instead of maybe one sniper per team like in Socom 2, now all the sudden you had half the room sniping.

 

4)  Scopes were placed on assault rifles and other weapons in Socom 3, so now even more people could play a ranged game.  This slowed the rounds to a crawl and greatly increased the number of times a round would last the full 5 or 6 minutes.

 

Everyone likes to blame Socom 4, but Socom 3 is where this all started.  The one thing Socom 4 added to the mix was the cover system online.  That was a huge mistake as now the camping has been multiplied even further.

 

No Socom has sold as well as Socom 2, so if anyone wants to fix the series, Socom 2 is the best place to start.  In a gaming world where everyone is copying COD, something completely different is going to be a better seller than being one of the crowd.

 


socom 1 sold better than socom 2.

Photobucket
Message 35 of 40 (231 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/05/2006
Offline
1169 posts
 

Re: SOCOM needs to get their act together and save their fanchise!!!!!

Feb 19, 2013

I'd also like to point out that the community overall was never happy with Socom 3 or Combined Assault.  2-3 months into Socom 3, people were jumping back to Socom 2.  There were constant threads in the Socom forums posting nightly numbers of people on both Socom 2 and Socom 3.  Socom 3's numbers dropped off so significantly within the first year that is was half the number of people logging onto Socom 2 per night in the months leading up to Socom 3's launch.  In addition thousands had gone back to playing Socom 2.

 

The point is, the data was there if Zipper wanted to listen as early as 6 months into Socom 3.  They had to know just from the nightly log in numbers alone, let alone sales numbers, that Socom 3 was backsliding and not nearly as popular as Socom 2.  Maybe they were still making enough money to convince them to press forward with the Socom 3 formula (minus vehicles).  Maybe they thought the vehicles were the issue (which they werent).  Either way, they pressed forward with a formula that was obviously not as popular, and they eventually lost everyone doing so.

 

Message 36 of 40 (229 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/05/2006
Offline
1169 posts
 

Re: SOCOM needs to get their act together and save their fanchise!!!!!

[ Edited ]
Feb 19, 2013

S_L_I_C_K wrote:

ArchAngeL-777 wrote:

Socom never was more popular than Socom 2.  That formula of:

 

1)  Single mode maps tailored to a specific mode (Suppression, Breach, Escort, Extraction, Demolition)

2)  Launching with plenty of maps which added to the variety (22 maps at launch if I'm not mistaken)

3)  Heavy breathing motion in scopes which made sniping much more difficult

4)  Scopes limited to sniper rifles and M4A1 silenced i think.  Kept people moving around the map.

 

The action was faster paced and more objective oriented.  The community as a whole liked it that way and often voted people who were just camping and drawing rounds out.

 

Socom 4 itself is not to blame for it's state.  Socom 4 was the natural progression of changes made starting with Socom 3:

 

1)  Single mode maps were replaced by Generic Multi-mode maps.  Breach, Escort, and Extraction never worked right, and as a result, were basically abandoned by the community for more generic COD modes like Control Points.  Socom 4's modes like Uplink, etc. were a natural progression of this.  The devs didnt want to let go of generic maps, so they had to come up with modes that would work on them.

 

2)  Like Socom 4, Socom 3 launched with less than half the maps of Socom 2.  Generic is not an excuse to skimp on map variety.  Even COD launches with 15 or so maps, then expands quickly with DLC.

 

3)  Breathing motion was taken out of the scopes in Socom 3, so sniping became easier.  Instead of maybe one sniper per team like in Socom 2, now all the sudden you had half the room sniping.

 

4)  Scopes were placed on assault rifles and other weapons in Socom 3, so now even more people could play a ranged game.  This slowed the rounds to a crawl and greatly increased the number of times a round would last the full 5 or 6 minutes.

 

Everyone likes to blame Socom 4, but Socom 3 is where this all started.  The one thing Socom 4 added to the mix was the cover system online.  That was a huge mistake as now the camping has been multiplied even further.

 

No Socom has sold as well as Socom 2, so if anyone wants to fix the series, Socom 2 is the best place to start.  In a gaming world where everyone is copying COD, something completely different is going to be a better seller than being one of the crowd.

 


socom 1 sold better than socom 2.


Not by a lot, so let's not water down the point.  Both sold well over 2 million copies each and both basically doubled Socom 3 sales numbers.

Message 37 of 40 (228 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 09/11/2003
Offline
16881 posts
 

Re: SOCOM needs to get their act together and save their fanchise!!!!!

Feb 19, 2013

ArchAngeL-777 wrote:

S_L_I_C_K wrote:

ArchAngeL-777 wrote:

Socom never was more popular than Socom 2.  That formula of:

 

1)  Single mode maps tailored to a specific mode (Suppression, Breach, Escort, Extraction, Demolition)

2)  Launching with plenty of maps which added to the variety (22 maps at launch if I'm not mistaken)

3)  Heavy breathing motion in scopes which made sniping much more difficult

4)  Scopes limited to sniper rifles and M4A1 silenced i think.  Kept people moving around the map.

 

The action was faster paced and more objective oriented.  The community as a whole liked it that way and often voted people who were just camping and drawing rounds out.

 

Socom 4 itself is not to blame for it's state.  Socom 4 was the natural progression of changes made starting with Socom 3:

 

1)  Single mode maps were replaced by Generic Multi-mode maps.  Breach, Escort, and Extraction never worked right, and as a result, were basically abandoned by the community for more generic COD modes like Control Points.  Socom 4's modes like Uplink, etc. were a natural progression of this.  The devs didnt want to let go of generic maps, so they had to come up with modes that would work on them.

 

2)  Like Socom 4, Socom 3 launched with less than half the maps of Socom 2.  Generic is not an excuse to skimp on map variety.  Even COD launches with 15 or so maps, then expands quickly with DLC.

 

3)  Breathing motion was taken out of the scopes in Socom 3, so sniping became easier.  Instead of maybe one sniper per team like in Socom 2, now all the sudden you had half the room sniping.

 

4)  Scopes were placed on assault rifles and other weapons in Socom 3, so now even more people could play a ranged game.  This slowed the rounds to a crawl and greatly increased the number of times a round would last the full 5 or 6 minutes.

 

Everyone likes to blame Socom 4, but Socom 3 is where this all started.  The one thing Socom 4 added to the mix was the cover system online.  That was a huge mistake as now the camping has been multiplied even further.

 

No Socom has sold as well as Socom 2, so if anyone wants to fix the series, Socom 2 is the best place to start.  In a gaming world where everyone is copying COD, something completely different is going to be a better seller than being one of the crowd.

 


socom 1 sold better than socom 2.


Not by a lot, so let's not water down the point.  Both sold well over 2 million copies each and both basically doubled Socom 3 sales numbers.


almost a million more copies is a pretty decent amount.

Photobucket
Message 38 of 40 (219 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 09/11/2003
Offline
16881 posts
 

Re: SOCOM needs to get their act together and save their fanchise!!!!!

Feb 19, 2013

ArchAngeL-777 wrote:

I'd also like to point out that the community overall was never happy with Socom 3 or Combined Assault.  2-3 months into Socom 3, people were jumping back to Socom 2.  There were constant threads in the Socom forums posting nightly numbers of people on both Socom 2 and Socom 3.  Socom 3's numbers dropped off so significantly within the first year that is was half the number of people logging onto Socom 2 per night in the months leading up to Socom 3's launch.  In addition thousands had gone back to playing Socom 2.

 

The point is, the data was there if Zipper wanted to listen as early as 6 months into Socom 3.  They had to know just from the nightly log in numbers alone, let alone sales numbers, that Socom 3 was backsliding and not nearly as popular as Socom 2.  Maybe they were still making enough money to convince them to press forward with the Socom 3 formula (minus vehicles).  Maybe they thought the vehicles were the issue (which they werent).  Either way, they pressed forward with a formula that was obviously not as popular, and they eventually lost everyone doing so.

 


thats why i never jumped on the "come on zipper you can do it" bandwagon, and instead took the "screw it up all you want zipper so you go out of business and we wont have to hear about your next  this time it will be different socom failure" bandwagon.

Photobucket
Message 39 of 40 (216 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/05/2006
Offline
1169 posts
 

Re: SOCOM needs to get their act together and save their fanchise!!!!!

[ Edited ]
Feb 19, 2013

S_L_I_C_K wrote:

ArchAngeL-777 wrote:

I'd also like to point out that the community overall was never happy with Socom 3 or Combined Assault.  2-3 months into Socom 3, people were jumping back to Socom 2.  There were constant threads in the Socom forums posting nightly numbers of people on both Socom 2 and Socom 3.  Socom 3's numbers dropped off so significantly within the first year that is was half the number of people logging onto Socom 2 per night in the months leading up to Socom 3's launch.  In addition thousands had gone back to playing Socom 2.

 

The point is, the data was there if Zipper wanted to listen as early as 6 months into Socom 3.  They had to know just from the nightly log in numbers alone, let alone sales numbers, that Socom 3 was backsliding and not nearly as popular as Socom 2.  Maybe they were still making enough money to convince them to press forward with the Socom 3 formula (minus vehicles).  Maybe they thought the vehicles were the issue (which they werent).  Either way, they pressed forward with a formula that was obviously not as popular, and they eventually lost everyone doing so.

 


thats why i never jumped on the "come on zipper you can do it" bandwagon, and instead took the "screw it up all you want zipper so you go out of business and we wont have to hear about your next  this time it will be different socom failure" bandwagon.


haha Yeah I held out hope for Socom 4.  I mean, at least Combined Assault on PS2 was tolerable.  I dont think anyone saw Socom 4 coming.  Adding the focus on respawn and cover system online was just terrible.

 

There's a lot of legacy material to work with if someone wanted to pick this series up.  Going back to single mode maps would be the key.

 

There are 25 or more of the old S1/S2 maps in the archives to dust off, so the ground work is already there.   They could start with a solid selection of 10 or so of those old maps, clean them up, and then add maybe 5-10 new ones.  They could continue to borrow from them for DLC.

 

That's basically what Socom 2 did.  They started with Socom 1 maps and added a bunch more to them and still had a much better selling game than Socom 3.

Message 40 of 40 (213 Views)
Reply
0 Likes