Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 31 2011
By: Dirty_Walter Treasure Hunter 9232 posts

Dirty_Walter's Community Day impressions and opinions (pros and cons)

42 replies 256 views Edited Jan 31, 2011

First impression:

First thing we did when we got to the Zipper studio was did a tour of the whole facility. During that tour we ended up in the Q A testing branch and thats when we all saw S4 in action, being played by the testers there for the very first time. I think that we were all very impressed watching them. The game looked just like S1/S2 at first glance and it was, again, very impressive to watch.

Hands on experience:

After the tour was over we waited out side of the gym where the whole event was set to take place. Once they were ready, we entered in and sat down for a intro and welcoming by Steiner and Brian Soderberg, saw the MP trailer and a brief presentation. After that they pretty much just said get to it! and we each jumped on a station.

Im not gonna lie, at no point was I ever really blown away by it. I sucked really bad, but there were others like Dr Mc_noob who were really tearing it up. But I initially played really badly and blame it mostly on not being used to the control scheme, not knowing the maps and the fact that I was completely out of my element and pretty overwhelmed. Also we were constantly switching from mode to mode and map to map so I couldnt really get a grip on it and it made it really hard to get comfortable and be able to absorb the game for me.

So initially I think we played for around an hour and then took a little break. When we came back, I felt a little more comfortable but I really think that its gonna take me a good few days of playing to really get a grip on it and be able to determine weather or not this game will be a game that will keep me dedicated for another 2 or 3 years. Unfortunately, I was not able to walk away at the end of the day feining for more. It just didnt come together right away for me the way I was hoping.

My expectations:

I really dont know what I was expecting, but although most dont want to hear it or agree, I was kind of expecting and hoping that it would be more similar to Confrontation, but on steroids X5 with better graphics, physics, animations and no bugs or lag or any problems at all... Also with a more classic foundation with side-switching and other classic features like that. It didnt really turn out to be the case at all. So some will be happy to hear that this game is nothing at all like Confrontation in any way shape or form.

S2 on the MAG engine:

This can be interpreted in a few ways. Its can be a good thing for those who really appreciate the MAG set up, but not me. I really didnt like MAG at all. I thought MAG was made pretty low quality in all departments besides the 256 networking aspect. It really did feel like MAG in 3rd person in a lot of ways.  One of the other 18 also mentioned that a few of the modes were almost carbon copies of modes in MAG which added to the MAG feeling in the game. On the other hand, It honestly did have a classic S1/S2 kind of signature feel to it that you would expect from a Zipper Socom. Its very hard to explain, but you will really need to try the game out to understand. Some would also say that this is the "S2HD built on the MAG engine" which is also kind of ironic.

The team based aspect:

Fact is, none of us were really able to experience any form of team based gameplay as we know it. We didnt really play this game as it designed to be played. We had headsets but we didnt communicate properly due to it being very noisy and all of the extra conversation going on. Also we had generic user names so no one knew who was who... How do you communicate with that? On top of that, there were like maybe two people who were in the same clan who were actually used to working together.

We played this game run and gun and exploring the maps. It was completely chaotic and unorganized. Thats the reality of it. That being said, My view, once I get used to it and can play with my clan as the game is intended to be played, my opinion with probably change for the better. Not that its bad right now, just incomplete.

So in a way, I/ We have not even really played S4 yet. So I guess this is where most of my indecision lies. And for anyone to even begin to pass judgement on this game without testing this area out in full is completely inacrurate and unfair.

Q&A with the devs:

So at the very end of the event we all sat back down for a dev Q&A with Steiner, Luisi, Kevin Schmitt and another MP designer (sorry, not great with names), Steiner basically said, heres what we're gonna do, going right down the line, tell us what you want to see added to this game. We were all very vocal about 4 or 5 specific features and it was a really good discussion overall. The devs did seem to bob and weave on a few things but for the most part it was a straight forward and open discussion. We, as a group really really stressed the need for d-pad lean, lobbies, pull back camera view, and the need for the demolition mode. And I am certain that they got the picture. You can say what you want, but things that can be changed will be changed based on our feedback.

Some will say that we are naive and that we must have been coerced by the devs but you would really have needed to be involved in the conversation to understand that this was not the case. They are definitely interested in what we have to say, they read the forums, and our feedback can and will change the game. We cant get everything we want, but the FACT remains. They want to know what we like and dislike.

The verdict:

Either way it goes,  This game is much more like Socom 1 and 2 in terms of the feel and look than any PS3 game and even S3 in many ways for sure. I honestly think it will be a pretty popular game in the end but an acquired taste, and for an old school Socom player that happens to love MAG, its perfection.

For me, I just dont know yet. It definitely doesnt suck, I dont like the MAG aspect, but I just dont really understand completely what its all about yet. It didnt hit me right away like I though it would. I didnt get it. I need more time with it. I need days with it, in my house, in my own element.

Once again though, I cant stress it enough, I need more play time with the game to fully develop a clear opinion but I do think this game will definitely appeal to a certain class of gamers and can be successful with many of the hardcore players if they do tweak and add a few specific things. Still a must have game for me and I cant wait to put some serious time into it.

Pros
- Ranked clan wars on the fly are going to be incredible. I am so excited about it. If this game does take a turn for the worst, this is its saving grace. Incredible. Cant wait for that. Almost completely makes up for the lack of lobbies. And from what I understand, you will be able to pick the maps and modes so the need for UCRRs really isnt even relevant at all, right?

- PTT in classic mode. Tell me that this was not implemented based on our feed back and I will call you a liar.

- No health regen in classic mode. Once again, thank god they listen to us.

- PMN mines and trip wire claymores. GREAT! It will help me watch my own back when im not playing with an organized team. Im pretty sure I heard that they will not kill team mates who stumble on them, so thats a plus too. Good Stuff there.  

- Prox chat is in. Could be cool if they do it better than it was in confrontation. It needs to be a bit louder but a good addition to the game that many have been asking for.

- Snap to cover. I love it. I used it every chance I got and am very happy that they put it in. The problem is, at this point, I will never ever get a chance to use it because it is not in the classic mode. Dont worry about d-pad lean. I think it will make it into the game, but dont stop pushing for it. No reason there cant be both in the end.

-XP point system. Could be pretty cool. As long as when you do unlock something, you get to keep it permanently. Im still a little foggy on the details... Either way, its really only gonna take a week or two to have most of the stuff unlocked so it really doesnt hurt anything at all.

Cons
-UCRRs. They didnt mean the world to me like some others. But If there were lobbies, I would have liked to see them for the communities sake. BUT, with the new on the fly, ranked clan war system, from what I understand, you will be able to select the map and mode and challenge other clans. No need for UCRRs imo.

- No hand guns at all. Im pissed about that. If you think about it, hand guns played a big roll in the gameplay of all past Socoms in so many ways. Sacrifice concepts, last stand kind of feeling. An unbalanced kind of concept where if you spray your whole clip, you have an option, but its a "secondary" option.

-Dual primaries. Its just stupid. They should have just put the work in and done hand guns. There is no excuse imo. Nope, I dont like it.

- No lobbies. I dont know why I want them, but I do. Its the feeling of knowing and being able to visually see where you are and where your freinds are. I dont think that we have any chance of seeing them. I think its just too late and we need to just need to accept this one. On the bright side, ranked clan wars on the fly is going to be where its at!

- No character customization. I would have liked to see it. The more you can customize your character and weapons, the more attached you can get. Its more immersive. I cant stand seeing ops com and his squad in MP but the other character models are actually really really cool. I would ultimately prefer to have character customization. Just another one of those things that I think its just way too late to fight for. Oh well. But some how the whole preset skin thing seems to add to the classic Socom theme and feel. I think the lack of customization in general is one of the biggest issues I have with this game.

- No grenade arc. In Confrontation, I used it a little, but mostly just was able to whip them out with pretty good accuracy. So I wast worried about it not being in S4. After playing, I feel opposite. PUT IT IN ZIPPER! This is one of those things that CAN be patched in if we push for it and are vocal enough. Get it done! Every grenade I threw was way off its mark from where my crosshairs were. Without the arc, forget about ever throwing a grenade through a window again.

- Only one classic mode. It sucks. I want demolition, and extraction. Really not much more to say. This can be fixed. If we are persistent enough, we may get the chance for classic modes in DLC. But right now, the only mode I have any interest in is suppression. Thats all. Its kind of sad.

Zipper THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!

I cant even begin to tell you how much I appreciate this whole thing. For us 18, you went above and beyond and then way beyond that. Everyone I met in Seattle was really really cool and my opinions of many of them were flipped completely (in a good way). That goes for devs as well as forum guys. Had an incredible time and was beyond impressed with your studio and the event in general. It was crazy! Thanks again very very much!

Message 37 of 43 (256 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1222 posts

Re: Dirty_Walter's Community Day impressions and opinions (pros and cons)

Jan 29, 2011

Cannot believe that you were invited. hey ho!

Message 1 of 43 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1345 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Were you able to do this?

Question that I ask before Community day

For the leaders out there who are going to Zipper HQ, there's one thing I want you all to check. So, can you check if the user can alternate the wie while zooming? Meaning if I press a button, the view would go from the right shoulder to the left?

Alternate view when R3 pressed or something./

Batang Pinoy
Message 2 of 43 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1945 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Dirty wasn't blown away=I'm probably going to like this game. Not trying to make a joke, just being serious. I know what you want in a Socom game and I don't like what you like. So this is the biggest positive I've seen thus far.

Message 3 of 43 (256 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1134 posts

Jan 29, 2011

xp as a pro? you play too much COD

Message 4 of 43 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9232 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Dexterbaxter wrote:

Were you able to do this?

Question that I ask before Community day

For the leaders out there who are going to Zipper HQ, there's one thing I want you all to check. So, can you check if the user can alternate the wie while zooming? Meaning if I press a button, the view would go from the right shoulder to the left?

Alternate view when R3 pressed or something./

No, this is not possible right now, but in the Q&A its was definitely discussed. Thats really all I know. Dont really remember the response.

Message 5 of 43 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9232 posts

Jan 29, 2011

RaidenXS wrote:

xp as a pro? you play too much COD

Whatever? I dont see a problem with it. Half the dudes on this forum are playing black ops right now and are not complaining about XP in S4. So I dont really see your point. I dont play COD, but it not bothering me...

Message 6 of 43 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9212 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Thank you for your feed back i cant wait for this game to come out it sound fun :smileyvery-happy:

wssclanXbox one: Phew Phew Phew.
Ps4:BANG BANG BANG.
Outcome: Xbox One is down call the ambulance"Wii U Wii U Wii U
Message 7 of 43 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8322 posts

Jan 29, 2011
Great post Dirty. You are right, we need a lot more time in our own environment to really get a good feel for this game. As of community day, you couldn't switch your weapons from right to left shoulder. It was kind of awkward so I think it's just not ready yet.
Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Message 8 of 43 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9232 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Sup tomb?

Message 9 of 43 (256 Views)
0 Likes