Highlighted
Sep 13 2012
By: S_L_I_C_K Ghost of Sparta 16953 posts

David Sears

[ Edited ]
24 replies 1393 views Edited Sep 13, 2012

The man that got the credit for socom 1 and 2 had something interesting to say.

question submited by Ice

Q: What are the chances of you working on a full-fledged either PSN or PS3 Third person tactical SOCOM -like shooter? Prone, No seeing enemies through walls, No health regeneration, Map designed specifically for 1 mode and not symmetrical copy and paste with clutter etc.

A: Chances are 100%. I am working on the design for that right now, in fact. But we should define “full-fledged” first. Our aim is to ship what you are describing and we will eventually achieve that goal. Creating SOCOM I took over three years if memory serves and SOCOM II took less than a year since we had the engine and pipeline in place. We are looking at ways to cut out some years of dev time for our first title because 1) fans deserve a strong tactical military shooter and 2) I really feel like it.

thoughts? 

Photobucket
Message 1 of 25 (1,393 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
16953 posts

Re: David Sears

Sep 13, 2012

another interesting post. 

TOMBESTONE4U asked

Q: I know at the time you left you felt burnt out on the series. Would you view trying to please both the fans and Sony as a daunting task based on today's market and publisher expectations or as a welcome challenge?

A: I wasn't really burned out on the series but I was fatigued and stressed from the content research. Thinking about terrorism and locations where people aren't treated well all the time wears on the soul. I definitely wanted a break from that for a while. Strangely, after a few years away from that kind of research obligation I really wanted to come back to it. I felt that my work was unfinished. So I came back to it. I would welcome the challenge of pleasing the fans. Not to speak for Sony but my experience was that they wanted to please the fans so our purposes were in alignment. As to the market expectations, well, there are a lot but I foresee a shift in those expectations. Not everyone wants a cinematic thrill ride all the time—there's a lot of room for accessible tactical military shooters that require more thought and engagement than the current trend has leveraged.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 25 (1,391 Views)
Survivor
2683 posts

Sep 13, 2012
Think this is great news. When was this? During the urgent fury interview? But also, from what I read, I thought his new studio was working on mobile games

..addicted to the throne..
Message 3 of 25 (1,374 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16953 posts

Sep 13, 2012

aYPeEooTReK wrote:
Think this is great news. When was this? During the urgent fury interview? But also, from what I read, I thought his new studio was working on mobile games

http://www.sofstudios.com/community/forums/thread.php?id=106

looks like it was posted the 12th

Photobucket
Message 4 of 25 (1,362 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
17392 posts

Sep 13, 2012

thx for sharing bro.

thx to David,

taking the time to answer some bonus questions is just awesome and mostly appreciated..

GTA V FTW !

PSN : Stackcluster
Born young, not dead yet !
Message 5 of 25 (1,336 Views)
Gaming Beast
2200 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 14, 2012

Stackcluster wrote:

thx for sharing bro.

thx to David,

taking the time to answer some bonus questions is just awesome and mostly appreciated..

My sentiments exactly, good ish. David Sears FTW!!!

Message 6 of 25 (1,268 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Sep 15, 2012

That is great news......keep us updated if you dont mind. Im dying to play Socom again.

aka smokeethetire
Message 7 of 25 (1,136 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Sep 15, 2012

S_L_I_C_K wrote:

The man that got the credit for socom 1 and 2 had something interesting to say.

question submited by Ice

Q: What are the chances of you working on a full-fledged either PSN or PS3 Third person tactical SOCOM -like shooter? Prone, No seeing enemies through walls, No health regeneration, Map designed specifically for 1 mode and not symmetrical copy and paste with clutter etc.

A: Chances are 100%. I am working on the design for that right now, in fact. But we should define “full-fledged” first. Our aim is to ship what you are describing and we will eventually achieve that goal. Creating SOCOM I took over three years if memory serves and SOCOM II took less than a year since we had the engine and pipeline in place. We are looking at ways to cut out some years of dev time for our first title because 1) fans deserve a strong tactical military shooter and 2) I really feel like it.

thoughts? 

Was there any mention of a timeline?

aka smokeethetire
Message 8 of 25 (1,133 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2061 posts

Sep 15, 2012

Good stuff

SUPPORT H-HOUR
Message 9 of 25 (1,128 Views)