I Only Post Everything
1003 posts

Re: ok, how many of you rpg gamers are otaku?!

Nov 6, 2008
i would have to say im definitely otaku lol, i love anime and games for well over 20 years now
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 18 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2441 posts

Nov 6, 2008
I'm otaku!
MAL

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 18 (7 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1144 posts

Nov 6, 2008

eromu i know what the negative connotations of the word otaku are...but i was thinking of the american or western application or the word in this thread

as for the guy that said that otakus are losers.well, it may be so but what makes you a winner? oh i get it doing the same thing that the"losers" do. play games and watch your fav shows..hypocrite!

btw, dont puff up yourself too high because you could fall someday too low off your own standars

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 18 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2310 posts

Nov 6, 2008
nope
CmEn
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 18 (7 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Nov 7, 2008

stargasior wrote:
Sure I'll go ahead and say I am an otaku, but I have a few friends that have more time than I to pursue the lifestyle. Someone asked what an 'otaku' is so here is an explanation:
It comes from the Japanese word ???(otaku) which is a formal word that means 'house'. The term ????(notice that katakana is used and not kanji) can be translated as a 'geek' or 'nerd' in English. Someone who spends a lot of time playing video games, watching anime, manga, etc. is considered an otaku. If translated literally, it suggests someone who spends most of their time each day inside their house (playing video games, etc.).
 I Hope that helps :smileyhappy: 

Thank you for that explanation Star. I reckon I'd fit the bill of Otaku. Having played D&D and RPGs in particular for decades, I've been called Geek/Nerd and worse.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 18 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2924 posts

Nov 7, 2008

honestly i haven't watched anime in like 2 years. maybe a couple episodes of some random shows here and there.

well i've been playing games since the early 90's. Street Fighter 2 being my first game on the SNES. anime also early in the 90's. first one i watch was Vampire Hunter D i believe. in fact Yoshi-taka Amano's work got me interested in art.

Message Edited by pocket-rocket on 11-07-2008 03:16 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 18 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5666 posts

Nov 7, 2008

chunknorris wrote:

Eromu wrote:
It amuses me when people call themselves otaku and apparently aren't aware of the negative connotations the term has in Japan.

otaku is the same as complete loser lol

Cosigned

Its the Connotation of the word from its origin. In Japan the word Otaku is not a flattery term its made to joke about some one.

Message Edited by VMPhil on 11-07-2008 05:42 AM
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 18 (7 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1144 posts

Nov 7, 2008

while we are on the topic i might have something for old and new gamers/otakus to smile http://kotaku.com/5079136/space-invaders-reduced-to-cute-anime-mascots enjoy!

i remember playing this wayy back in the day when graphics werent that important.

edit: thanks for the kudos!

Message Edited by perrandy on 11-07-2008 06:48 AM
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 18 (7 Views)
0 Likes