Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 06 2008
By: perrandy I Only Post Everything 1151 posts

ok, how many of you rpg gamers are otaku?!

17 replies 155 views Edited Nov 6, 2008

hi i was wondering how many ppl on this board are otaku= gamer plus a fan of japanese anime?i know i'm one! lol

i began gaming sporadicly in the early 80's (was too poor to own anything,so i relied on my neighbor's systems,my first system was an atari 2006 then when i was somewhat older i got a nintendo then a super-nintendo, later i got a sega cd and also a ps1 and after that a ps2,psp and now a ps3....however, i also own a wii and xbox360)

i began watching anime since i was a lil kid in the early 80's and i still do it until today.what about you?!:smileytongue:

Photobucket
Message 1 of 18 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1553 posts

Re: ok, how many of you rpg gamers are otaku?!

Nov 6, 2008
    Been playing games since I was 2 (1990).  Started watching anime at around 5.  Been a fanatic of both since.
PSN = Deathsyt.
Message 2 of 18 (155 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Nov 6, 2008
japanese manga owns, though there are some good manwa's out there.  I think i turned to anime to get off WoW but...love it and have been loving it for around 5 years.  Gaming is just as good.  Love both and will continue to love both.
Message 3 of 18 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
443 posts

Nov 6, 2008

I would have to say I've been a gamer for eh 20 years. Only started watching Anime since I was probably 14. Most Anime I keep up with now is Naruto and Bleach. I'm still torrentling Bleach atm, up to episode 104 I think. I don't read manga, although I have some Death Note manga on my desktop I've barely looked at. Honestly I'd rather watch Anime then read it. 

Oh and subtitled all the way. American actor voices just don't compare once you start watching it in Japanese. 

Message Edited by Demidom on 11-05-2008 08:15 PM
Message 4 of 18 (155 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Nov 6, 2008

perrandy wrote:

hi i was wondering how many ppl on this board are otaku= gamer plus a fan of japanese anime?i know i'm one! lol

i began gaming sporadicly in the early 80's (was too poor to own anything,so i relied on my neighbor's systems,my first system was an atari 2006 then when i was somewhat older i got a nintendo then a super-nintendo, later i got a sega cd and also a ps1 and after that a ps2,psp and now a ps3....however, i also own a wii and xbox360)

i began watching anime since i was a lil kid in the early 80's and i still do it until today.what about you?!:smileytongue:

I'm not sure I'd call myself Otaku. I enjoy anime. I am still a huge fan of Robotech, the first anime that I watched as a child. (I thought it was simply a cartoon.) I stopped watching anime many years ago, but got back into it a few years ago. I've got a small collection. As an adult I can appreciate many of the nuances of anime that I missed as a child.
Message 5 of 18 (155 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Nov 6, 2008

I've been a gamer since I was 4, and I started watching anime when I was 7 or 8, but stopped watching it when I was 13, and got back into it a year ago, thanks to my friend.  It was similar with rpgs.  I played some wrpgs in the past, but only a few, and picked up my first jrpg a couple years ago, but my friend took my interest in jrpgs to the next level, shortly before re-introducing me to anime.  Now I'm primarily an rpg gamer. 

I wasn't big on anything Japanese until quite recently, but now I'm way into it, and am even taking a Japanese course.  I don't read manga, but I spend more time watching anime online, than I do watching tv, or movies, and most of my game purchases in the last couple years have been jrpgs.  I only wish I had taken this up sooner. 

Message 6 of 18 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6617 posts

Nov 6, 2008
It amuses me when people call themselves otaku and apparently aren't aware of the negative connotations the term has in Japan.
Message 7 of 18 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1726 posts

Nov 6, 2008
I really don't know what an otaku is but I've been a fan of videogames, anime and manga all my life.
Message 8 of 18 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7656 posts

Nov 6, 2008
Sure I'll go ahead and say I am an otaku, but I have a few friends that have more time than I to pursue the lifestyle. Someone asked what an 'otaku' is so here is an explanation:
It comes from the Japanese word ???(otaku) which is a formal word that means 'house'. The term ????(notice that katakana is used and not kanji) can be translated as a 'geek' or 'nerd' in English. Someone who spends a lot of time playing video games, watching anime, manga, etc. is considered an otaku. If translated literally, it suggests someone who spends most of their time each day inside their house (playing video games, etc.).
 I Hope that helps :smileyhappy: 
Message Edited by stargasior on 11-05-2008 10:05 PM
Message 9 of 18 (155 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1126 posts

Nov 6, 2008

Eromu wrote:
It amuses me when people call themselves otaku and apparently aren't aware of the negative connotations the term has in Japan.

otaku is the same as complete loser lol
Message 10 of 18 (155 Views)
0 Likes