Feb 07 2006
By: TongueScrubber Lombax Warrior 172 posts

Your opinion on .hack series

12 replies 0 views Edited Feb 7, 2006
I'm thinking of buying the whole series.  Anyone here finished all four of them? Is the last one extremely hard to finish?

Thanks in advance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games,"

"You can communicate to a new cybercity. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!"
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4306 posts

Re: Your opinion on .hack series

Feb 7, 2006
I've only played infection, but that was enough for me. IMO, there really isn't a whole lot of game to be played; for example, in infection, one spends more time obtaining clues from a clunky message board and running around looking for the entrance to a dungeon that anything else, the dungeons are overly repetitive, and time is needlessly wasted on plotting a course of where to go next. The combat system isn't too bad though as it features a little thought cloud above the characters that is somewhat comical.

As a filler rpg, I think it does it's job, but as a main course, I think it has a long way to go. However, that's the great things about games... they mean different things to different folks.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7838 posts

Feb 7, 2006

elderscrolls wrote:
I'm thinking of buying the whole series.  Anyone here finished all four of them? Is the last one extremely hard to finish?

Thanks in advance.

I stopped after Mutation (the second one). I'd say get them only if you can find them dirt cheap (at this point $20 for all four). One and two lasted only about 15 hours each and they are extremely repetitive.

-Griever_08

http://goo.gl/SjUkM
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5038 posts

Feb 7, 2006
All of them form basically a game. If you're to play the games try to watch the anime too. Each game contains an OVA too. All the elements form a great and deep history, one of my favorites. The graphics are...decent, but nothing extraordinare, but the story owns. If you're looking for crude action you won't find it here, instead you'll find a deep and breathtaking story, specially with the OVAs. I'd recommend getting the first on for a rental. Buy them or not after playing it.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 7, 2006

njinear2b wrote:
I've only played infection, but that was enough for me. IMO, there really isn't a whole lot of game to be played; for example, in infection, one spends more time obtaining clues from a clunky message board and running around looking for the entrance to a dungeon that anything else, the dungeons are overly repetitive, and time is needlessly wasted on plotting a course of where to go next. The combat system isn't too bad though as it features a little thought cloud above the characters that is somewhat comical.

As a filler rpg, I think it does it's job, but as a main course, I think it has a long way to go. However, that's the great things about games... they mean different things to different folks.

I agree but the interactivity in the game is high because you can trade items with almost every NPC (mainly because the NPCs are online players in this game's concept).
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
660 posts

Feb 7, 2006

njinear2b wrote:

My feelings exactly.  I could not continue playing the other games after playing infection.  The environments were just too repetitive for me.  However, I think the battle system was ok and the story was interesting.  I think the game could have been something incredible, but that unfortunately did not happen.  Hopefully the next .hack games will be better.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5760 posts

Feb 7, 2006

Dark_Mage wrote:

njinear2b wrote:

My feelings exactly.  I could not continue playing the other games after playing infection.  The environments were just too repetitive for me.  However, I think the battle system was ok and the story was interesting.  I think the game could have been something incredible, but that unfortunately did not happen.  Hopefully the next .hack games will be better.

Likewise. The series could've succeeded a little more if they had combined all four games into one massive one. I really liked the battle system and the Data Drain came in handy through most times. The message board feature became a strain for a while but the storyline kept me attatched. The games had 'potential' yet there was something lacking. It was an orignal storyline to the RPG genre, just needed a couple of more tweeks. All of this coming from a pretty big .hack fan of the anime/manga prior the games. Let's just hope GU and Fragment surpass that and make the series look better.

Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7838 posts

Feb 7, 2006

Moon Child wrote:

Dark_Mage wrote:

njinear2b wrote:

Likewise. The series could've succeeded a little more if they had combined all four games into one massive one.

Sadly even the sum of all their parts would have merely equaled the size of one normal lengthed RPG (60-70 hours).

-Griever_08

http://goo.gl/SjUkM
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5830 posts

Feb 7, 2006
wasn't a fan played the first two and wasn't a fan.there are much better games out there

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

http://www.tmplace.net/
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
443 posts

Feb 8, 2006

if u want all 4 go to amazon.com and get them

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (0 Views)