Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 15 2006
By: thebaldduelist~ Treasure Hunter 6975 posts

Wild Arms 4 Initial Thoughts SPOILER FREE

6 replies 4 views Edited Feb 15, 2006
I'm about 32 hours into the game so far. All characters are at or around level 50+. So far I am having alot of fun with this game. I'll save the fine details for the final thoughts post and just cover basics here.

The story is pretty decent and the characters are interesting. Not so keen on Jude, he's too young to be running around with a gun. Everytime I look at him, he reminds of Jr. However the story seems to bounce from place to place, a bit scatter brained like. It's interesting, but rushed along IMO. Too much kids vs. adults and what is the difference between good and evil speeches. The dialogue scenes are great though, I love how they used anime character pics with speech and text instead of cutscenes myself.

I really love the HEX battle system. It gives you a nice amount of strategy, but the best part is that it is fast paced. Battles are lightning fast for the most part. Learning abilities here is interesting, you learn them on level up. However using the GC Points you get (one at each level up), you can sort of borrow against the skills you can learn in the future. It allows for slight customiztion but also comes with a price tag. Since extra GS points are distributed to stats, you have to sacrifice some HP and MP to do the borrowing. Creating a play it safe or take the risk feeling, I like it. Puzzles are present, but so far no brain teasers.

However there are some things I miss and the inevitable somparison to the series past comes up. Can't be helped though.
I miss the individual character Tools. I don't like the new system of finding them onscreen. It isn't the same. I also miss the exploration, the overworld map and yes I miss the Search system from 2,3 and ACF. It was fun IMO. I also wish there was less focus on the side scrolling platformer nature. So far I haven't gotten stressed, but I've run into a few situations where it gets there. I don't see a turn based RPG having run and jump to the moving platform and then fall in the hole. (thankfully you don't die)

Dabbled in the arena and played a little of the ROM game. (basically a 2D mario rip off) They  were alright, but I haven't been able to go back to them.

So far, I can tell you that the game has it's flaws, but it is still fun. The battle system alone is worth it for me. However this game may not be for everyone and I think it is shorter than most. I'll get the hours out of it no matter what though. lol

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19284 posts

Re: Wild Arms 4 Initial Thoughts SPOILER FREE

Feb 15, 2006

Guess what...if you are one of those people who play games to get everything..you messed up. You have to beat the game in under 24 hours.

I am stuck at a boss at the moment, and I really don't want to play for awhile. There is another thread with my dislikes for this game.

Please do not send me a friend's request without telling me who you are and where I know you from. Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 15, 2006

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Guess what...if you are one of those people who play games to get everything..you messed up. You have to beat the game in under 24 hours.

I am stuck at a boss at the moment, and I really don't want to play for awhile. There is another thread with my dislikes for this game.

Why do you have to beat the game in under 24 hours? I don't see how anyone could beat it that fast.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19284 posts

Feb 15, 2006

thebaldduelist wrote:

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Why do you have to beat the game in under 24 hours? I don't see how anyone could beat it that fast.

Just some bonus stuff you get at the end and Apparently it is possible. By the way, did you load a saved game from a previous WA game? It will take any save, not just and end game save and transfer some stuff to you and give you some extra goodies.

Message Edited by DarkCloudLives on 02-15-200611:52 AM

Please do not send me a friend's request without telling me who you are and where I know you from. Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6312 posts

Feb 15, 2006
It's too bad they took out some of the stuff I liked from the previous Wild Arms games. I'll still keep it on the games to get list.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
319 posts

Feb 15, 2006

DarkCloudLives wrote:

thebaldduelist wrote:

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Just some bonus stuff you get at the end and Apparently it is possible. By the way, did you load a saved game from a previous WA game? It will take any save, not just and end game save and transfer some stuff to you and give you some extra goodies.

You get a bonus towards an EX file for playing more than 24 hours you don't have to beat it under 24 hours. And you get bonuses for your WA: ACF file.
come here groups.myspace.com/talesofgames if yer a fan of Tales of The Abyss or of any of the other Tales games.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 16, 2006

DarkCloudLives wrote:

thebaldduelist wrote:

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Are you talking about the EX File Keys? Because I already have the one that you get from achieving 24 hours or more of playtime. If you aren't then what do you mean, because I'll be curious if that isn't it. I doubt it though, that would be silly to impose a time limit. I transferred my completed game save from ACF and got many bonuses. Raquel's Lombardia is a bit too good though.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (4 Views)
0 Likes