Apr 07 2006
By: NoisyKillerHPB~ Lombax Warrior 198 posts

Why do people like SMT Nocturne?

3 replies 10 views Edited Apr 7, 2006
I've had Nocturne sitting on my shelf for a couple months now,  everyone was gushing about how cool it was etc.  I knew about the difficulty which turned out to be more annoying then a relief but I could deal with it, but all I seemed to do was level up and make demons until I could beat the next boss.  There wasn't crap for dialogue (it had a cool sense of humor but there are like 10% the amount of people to talk to), and the game felt empty.  I mean I know the world was destroyed and all but **bleep**.  So would I be missing much if I just ebayed it or what?  If you want to know how far I got spoilerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I was inside that bigass dome, searching for candles to put on this pedastal so I could fight the leader of Nihilo I think.  I told the big devil guy in Giza I think it was that I'd think about joining him, and I was as far into the labyrinth as I was allowed to go.
Message 1 of 4 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1922 posts

Re: Why do people like SMT Nocturne?

Apr 7, 2006
Some of us are into the whole demon thing. I didn't ever finish that game, as I got caught up playing something else (which happened to me a lot back in the day). But, I enjoyed the fact that I got to recruit demons and talk to Lucifer (that little boy with the lady, I think?). I just liked that it was "different" from most games, but in a good way.

(Edit) p.s. I am not a devil worshiper or anything.

Message Edited by thinkfreemind on 04-07-200604:57 AM

Message 2 of 4 (10 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8488 posts

Apr 7, 2006

NoisyKillerHPB wrote:
I've had Nocturne sitting on my shelf for a couple months now,  everyone was gushing about how cool it was etc.  I knew about the difficulty which turned out to be more annoying then a relief but I could deal with it, but all I seemed to do was level up and make demons until I could beat the next boss.  There wasn't crap for dialogue (it had a cool sense of humor but there are like 10% the amount of people to talk to), and the game felt empty.  I mean I know the world was destroyed and all but **bleep**.  So would I be missing much if I just ebayed it or what?  If you want to know how far I got spoilerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I was inside that bigass dome, searching for candles to put on this pedastal so I could fight the leader of Nihilo I think.  I told the big devil guy in Giza I think it was that I'd think about joining him, and I was as far into the labyrinth as I was allowed to go.

Maybe it's just not your type of RPG, I personally really enjoyed it...
It feels like pokemon in hell... heh
Message 3 of 4 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Apr 7, 2006

Here is what I had to say about Nocturne after I completed it last year. (at that point I was still mentioning a few spoilers so the warning is there as I always used to put it). I really enjoyed it.

As always POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!

I ended getting about 120 hours out of SMT Nocturne. I have to say (and if you remember my first post you know) that I wasn't exactly raving about it when I started. Fortunately that changed and I ended up enjoying it, despite what I felt were some obvious flaws.

Story: Well it certainly wasn't the story that interested me here. Basically it's a bare bones, almost skeletal framework if you will, of a storyline. You are give freedom to make certain choices but the overall storyline isn't really even important to the game. You could say it's darker and more mature depending on what you end up seeing as well. I liked the initial premise of the world ending at the start of the game, but really enough info was never really provided, at least for my tastes anyway. I know there were multiple endings for this game, didn't really care for the one I got. It was interesting but lacking at the same time.

Characters: Another bare bones area, there are not many characters in this game at all. A few that are key, but you don't really see much
of them. The main character is the blank slate type, I guess they made him that way because you are supposed to shape his personality as you go along. It was alright, but I prefer established personalities myself. I liked the inclusion of Dante in this game. He was pretty cool, I wish there was more of him. I liked that he was included in the main story as well as being recruitable. (For those that played and got Dante, wasn't the 3rd Kapla event pretty cool? I thought it was.)

Gameplay/Controls: I didn't have any control issues with this game. I didn't notice any annoying load times either. The gameplay is what ended up winning me over as I went along. I really liked the dungeons in this game. They reminded me of the complex dungeons of older RPGs (warps, pits, trick walls, etc) only with the addition of a helpful map. I had alot of fun navigating them. Demon fusion was pretty fun once I got into it as well. Alot of different combinations to try out and many monsters to make for your companions. I liked the Magatama system, ingest a demon bug and at level up learn a skill/ability. I did not like having to throw away skills because you could only have 8. That was absolutely ridiculous. But I had fun mastering all the Magatama, and even the level caps out at 99 you can go past it. You can just keep levelling and keep raising your stats (at level up your MC gets I point you can assign to the stat of your choice, monsters seem to be random) and learning abilities. Your MC is a blank slate here to, you can mold him how you want. You can raise his stats to your tastes and make him a powerhouse, magic user, combo of both, or however you want him.

Battle system: Battle system was a little different than normal, called the Press Turn System. Better than standard turn based but not as good as I had heard IMO. You get extra turns for hitting an enemy with it's weakness or landing criticals. You lose turns for missing or hitting enemies with things they void, drain or repel. Battles in this game can be wildly challenging or pathetically easy depending on how your party is set up. Form a party with the right stuff to take out an enemy and you are fine. Literally even swapping out one demon for another with the correct resistance or with one that can hit the enemy weakness and it can make the difference between utter defeat and victory. It did for me. Of course by the end of the game nothing could stand up to my party. I still would have preferred regular party members instead of the demons though. A major weakness to this system was that only the MC could use items, very silly. Oh and if you revive a dead demon, they don't return to the battle. You have to re-summon them, wasting a turn. (Dante is quite useful in battle I might add, I loved using him and I esp, loved his SHOWTIME move, it was cool)

Other Stuff: I found only one mini game here: an annoying puzzle game that drove me up a wall and back again a million times. I think it was like 20 levels and I got a Magatama for doing it. I did not enjoy pushing the blocks and turning them as well. I don't know what would be considered sidequests in here or not. I guess getting Dante would be the major one and doing the Labyrinth of Amala as well. Alot of little things tie into that. Since they were all battle or explore oriented, it was fine though. One thing I absolutely hated were the stupid tube/pipe things you use to go into the LoA. You fly/float through them and punch things and try to grab coins like an action game or something. It was highly out of place in this game and not fun at all. If you need to go in and out of the LoA you have to do this everytime and it is no fun.

Overall: Not the supremely awesome game that I heard it was, but good enough for me. It won't go down as one of my personal favorites either even though I did enjoy. I still think there were things that needed improving. (IMO could have took a few pages from Persona 1 & 2's playbook that is for sure) So this one gets a nice, solid  (B) from me.

Message Edited by thebaldduelist on 04-07-200601:45 PM

Message 4 of 4 (10 Views)
0 Likes