Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010
@ el_canadiano, ummm as a whole ppl dont really care if jrpgs come over this way or not, i mean if you only talk to rpg players you would think that but just by sales they dont, and ppl in japan play western games too. so your point is invalid. jrpgs as they where on the old school systems is dying and come next gen might not make a showing. ppl that grew up on it will like it but the incoming gamer will not, everything moves forward and things that dont change with the time die off. i mean look at arcades they were once the biggest thing in gaming now they are relics and there are far and few inbetween.
Message 21 of 26 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2551 posts

Feb 8, 2010
                        OK,..don't redicule me but compared to FO3,..WkC has enamored me a heck of a lot more in a totally different way. Fallout 3 definitely had more content,..and did capture me for periods of time,..granted. But I wake up with WKC on the mind,...I work to get home to it. Is it a fail,..I think not. I will continue to support JRPG'S on this system. I think Sony and it's publishers have forgotten about us over time. The PS2 was a huge RPG magnet. Now with fps that has changed. I bought the ps3 based on the track record that the ps2 showed with rpg's. Please someone step up . We have DAO, DS, and now WKC. FF is coming,..I hope it lives up to our expectations. The rpg crowd is hungry,...............FEED US.
Message 22 of 26 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Feb 9, 2010

Misti-Phi wrote:
@ el_canadiano, ummm as a whole ppl dont really care if jrpgs come over this way or not, i mean if you only talk to rpg players you would think that but just by sales they dont, and ppl in japan play western games too. so your point is invalid. jrpgs as they where on the old school systems is dying and come next gen might not make a showing. ppl that grew up on it will like it but the incoming gamer will not, everything moves forward and things that dont change with the time die off. i mean look at arcades they were once the biggest thing in gaming now they are relics and there are far and few inbetween.

Oh you're absolutely right that WRPGs are played overseas. I'm just saying that sales figures or even the popularity of them are not high enough over there to warrant any acknowledgement. At least in the west we have a certain amount of media coverage for the localized games that come over. Heck, western gamers can even convince localizations to happen (White Knight Chronicles and Demon's Souls anyone?). All I'm saying is JRPGs seem to have more of an impact over here than WRPGs do in the east. And do I think JRPGs will still exist next gen? Absolutely. Just to a smaller extent because handhelds seem to be a more accepting device for them. 

--------------------I'm in love with Kirie Kojima--------------------
Message 23 of 26 (95 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11166 posts

Feb 9, 2010

BraveSirRobin wrote:

My complaint about JRPGs this gen is that they've tried to evolve too much. I really want traditional menu-driven turn-based combat. And Bioware shouldn't be lecturing on how to make an RPG. I haven't played it but everything I've seen and read about Mass Effect 2 makes it look like a TPS with all of its RPG elements minimized and shoved into the background.

I would love some more great turn based RPGs regardless of who made them. I think the Japanese should stick to the formulas that worked for them and the West should do the same.

I have not played ME2 either, but BioWare (in my opinion) does make excellent Western RPGs.

More than anything, I really wish these "XRPG" failed threads would go away! JRPGs are fine the way they were. WRPGs are fine the way they are. Neither one needs to adopt the other side's methods. Why? Because those methods are what makes them DIFFERENT from each other. And I like DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the spaz attack there. 

Message 24 of 26 (95 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
311 posts

Feb 9, 2010
As a 30+year old, to me, jrpgs seem to be targeted at a younger generation of gamers.
Message 25 of 26 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2022 posts

Feb 9, 2010

PapaWarlock wrote:

BraveSirRobin wrote:

My complaint about JRPGs this gen is that they've tried to evolve too much. I really want traditional menu-driven turn-based combat. And Bioware shouldn't be lecturing on how to make an RPG. I haven't played it but everything I've seen and read about Mass Effect 2 makes it look like a TPS with all of its RPG elements minimized and shoved into the background.

I would love some more great turn based RPGs regardless of who made them. I think the Japanese should stick to the formulas that worked for them and the West should do the same.

I have not played ME2 either, but BioWare (in my opinion) does make excellent Western RPGs.

More than anything, I really wish these "XRPG" failed threads would go away! JRPGs are fine the way they were. WRPGs are fine the way they are. Neither one needs to adopt the other side's methods. Why? Because those methods are what makes them DIFFERENT from each other. And I like DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the spaz attack there. 

I agree. As I have said there is nothing wrong with JRPGs or any other game genre. There is room in the gaming world for all types of games.

Message 26 of 26 (95 Views)
0 Likes