Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/25/2007
Offline
1011 posts
 

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010

Exactly the opposite.  In fact, Cross Edge had a very unique combat system.  Somwhere between a fighter and an RPG.  Shadow Heart had the Judgement Ring.  LoD and Xenogears were variations of the traditional formula.  If anything, the most well known and loved RPGs are the ones that stick to the general formula.  FF and DQ are prime examples of this.

 


TechnoGolem wrote:

I think they have a point. Just look at some of the most loved RPGs and they normally stood out for being different. For example Legend of Dragoon and Xenogears both had very unique combat systems. Ten years or more from now do you think many people will remember Cross Edge if they don't make any sequels?

 

I love RPGs but when I think about my all time favorites there is normally something about them that makes them stand out from the rest. Parasite Eve (PS) had a unique combat system and was one of the very few RPGs that was set in the modern day. Shadowrun (SNES) was completely different than any other RPG I had played in my life. The Suikoden series (PS & PS2) has tons of different characters to recruit and interact with. So on and so forth...

 

Most RPGs have a been there done that to death feel. The ones that really stand out did something different, had an amazing story, and/or had fantastic gameplay. This applies to both WRPGs and JRPGs.

 

I will admit that their are several stereotypes I am burned out on when it comes to JRPGs and for the last few years have been far more interested in WRPGs. It would be nice to see some JRPGs with appropriate technology for the setting. They can travel to different planets but still have to fight with swords?!


 

 
Message 11 of 26 (148 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 03/09/2009
Offline
2508 posts
 

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010

LokeSTL wrote:

Reception means nothing in this genre. American reviewers don't give good reviews to a title in this genre unless they are running adverts for them.  Sales numbers will decide the fate of whether WKC2 comes over or not.  I'll be posting first 10 week sales data from VGChartz as the numbers come in as I've done with previous JRPGs.  Hope we get the sequel.

 


Trivium wrote:
Sadly we North American gamers may not see WKC2 due to such poor North American reception of it... I too love WKC 8.5 for me, but its a cold truth that happens to many JRPG franchises.

 


Demon's Souls, nobody advertised it.  Only wor dof mouth spread and good reviews came with it.  Hence it did very well for a game nto even planend to be released in NA.

 

Also Demon's Souls is an JRPG.  It's mad ein Japan and did thigns differently but I guess we aren't talking about that game are?  No just the games that don't risk/change it up.

Message Edited by Jerry-Boyle on 02-08-2010 02:33 PM
Message Edited by Jerry-Boyle on 02-08-2010 02:36 PM
Message 12 of 26 (148 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 02/16/2007
Offline
4642 posts
 

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010

My complaint about JRPGs this gen is that they've tried to evolve too much. I really want traditional menu-driven turn-based combat. I don't like these new hybrids like Eternal Sonata, Resonance of Fate or WKC (which was also used by DAO). I liked the way FF12 handled it but none of these others have done it right. I want the battle systems of DQ8 or FF10. I'll even take random encounters again. These new battle systems seem like bad compromises that are too slow for prople who want action and too fast/action-y for those who want turn-based. I don't want dialogue trees or the ability to make descisions that affect the plot. I don't even want to make my own character because unless they can speak and actually be real fleshed out "people" they mean nothing to me. In DAO I wished I could leave my created character behind at the camp because he was mute and couldn't speak for himself.

 

When I pick up and RPG I want a specific type of gameplay experience. That experience isn't being made any more and it pisses me off. I loved Demon's Souls but it was one in a million to get everything it did right and as much as I loved it I woud NOT want other games to follow its example. And Bioware shouldn't be lecturing on how to make an RPG. I haven't played it but everything I've seen and read about Mass Effect 2 makes it look like a TPS with all of its RPG elements minimized and shoved into the background.

Message Edited by BraveSirRobin on 02-08-2010 10:48 AM

Message 13 of 26 (148 Views)
Reply
Sackboy
Registered: 11/01/2009
Offline
445 posts
 

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010

Jerry-Boyle wrote:

LokeSTL wrote:

Reception means nothing in this genre. American reviewers don't give good reviews to a title in this genre unless they are running adverts for them.  Sales numbers will decide the fate of whether WKC2 comes over or not.  I'll be posting first 10 week sales data from VGChartz as the numbers come in as I've done with previous JRPGs.  Hope we get the sequel.

 


Trivium wrote:
Sadly we North American gamers may not see WKC2 due to such poor North American reception of it... I too love WKC 8.5 for me, but its a cold truth that happens to many JRPG franchises.

 


Demon's Souls, nobody advertised it.  Only wor dof mouth spread and good reviews came with it.  Hence it did very well for a game nto even planend to be released in NA.

 

Also Demon's Souls is an JRPG.  It's mad ein Japan and did thigns differently but I guess we aren't talking about that game are?  No just the games that don't risk/change it up.

Message Edited by Jerry-Boyle on 02-08-2010 02:33 PM
Message Edited by Jerry-Boyle on 02-08-2010 02:36 PM

Somebody did not read the article yet decided to reply anyway.

Message 14 of 26 (148 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 03/09/2009
Offline
2508 posts
 

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010

Jacks-over wrote:

Jerry-Boyle wrote:

LokeSTL wrote:

Reception means nothing in this genre. American reviewers don't give good reviews to a title in this genre unless they are running adverts for them.  Sales numbers will decide the fate of whether WKC2 comes over or not.  I'll be posting first 10 week sales data from VGChartz as the numbers come in as I've done with previous JRPGs.  Hope we get the sequel.

 


Trivium wrote:
Sadly we North American gamers may not see WKC2 due to such poor North American reception of it... I too love WKC 8.5 for me, but its a cold truth that happens to many JRPG franchises.

 


Demon's Souls, nobody advertised it.  Only wor dof mouth spread and good reviews came with it.  Hence it did very well for a game nto even planend to be released in NA.

 

Also Demon's Souls is an JRPG.  It's mad ein Japan and did thigns differently but I guess we aren't talking about that game are?  No just the games that don't risk/change it up.

Message Edited by Jerry-Boyle on 02-08-2010 02:33 PM
Message Edited by Jerry-Boyle on 02-08-2010 02:36 PM

Somebody did not read the article yet decided to reply anyway.


I did.. and the exception is Demon's Souls obviously.  Who's saying western RPGers aren't repeating as well?  Dialogue options seem to be repeated quite a lot(Fallout 3, Mass Effect and other games...I think Jade Emprie had it too?)
Both are fun in their own ways.  It's all your personal taste which is good and which is bad.
Message 15 of 26 (148 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 06/14/2006
Offline
963 posts
 

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010

He gives me the feeling of a guy who makes hamburgers, is commenting on how sushi fails.

Playing: Demon's Souls, FF13, Fat Princess

Get your Portable ID!
Message 16 of 26 (148 Views)
Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/08/2007
Offline
2022 posts
 

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010

BraveSirRobin wrote:

My complaint about JRPGs this gen is that they've tried to evolve too much. I really want traditional menu-driven turn-based combat. I don't like these new hybrids like Eternal Sonata, Resonance of Fate or WKC (which was also used by DAO). I liked the way FF12 handled it but none of these others have done it right. I want the battle systems of DQ8 or FF10. I'll even take random encounters again. These new battle systems seem like bad compromises that are too slow for prople who want action and too fast/action-y for those who want turn-based. I don't want dialogue trees or the ability to make descisions that affect the plot. I don't even want to make my own character because unless they can speak and actually be real fleshed out "people" they mean nothing to me. In DAO I wished I could leave my created character behind at the camp because he was mute and couldn't speak for himself.

 

When I pick up and RPG I want a specific type of gameplay experience. That experience isn't being made any more and it pisses me off. I loved Demon's Souls but it was one in a million to get everything it did right and as much as I loved it I woud NOT want other games to follow its example. And Bioware shouldn't be lecturing on how to make an RPG. I haven't played it but everything I've seen and read about Mass Effect 2 makes it look like a TPS with all of its RPG elements minimized and shoved into the background.

Message Edited by BraveSirRobin on 02-08-2010 10:48 AM

 

I agree with you on this and I wish people would stop trying to say something is wrong with JRPGs because there is nothing wrong with traditional JRPGs.

Message 17 of 26 (148 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/15/2008
Offline
5388 posts
 

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010
They've changed as much as the rest of the gaming industry. Going by that train of thought, the gaming industry fails and we should find a new habit?
Message Edited by Ocelot562 on 02-08-2010 01:08 PM
Christina Lee photo Christinalee_zpsa4a832cb.jpg
Message 18 of 26 (148 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 09/02/2009
Offline
187 posts
 

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010
At least people want JRPGs overseas. I mean, when was the last time you heard Japanese gamers craving one of Bioware's games? Better yet, when was the last time you heard about strong sales figures for WRPGs in Japan? I'm sick of this stupid article. It was already discussed about a month ago on virtually every site. It needs to die because it's only flame bait. Plus, the OP is a troll and you can tell just by the way he titled the thread.
--------------------I'm in love with Kirie Kojima--------------------
Message 19 of 26 (148 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 01/08/2009
Offline
800 posts
 

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010

I enjoy fallout 3 but I don't go looking for a WRPG when I want to play an RPG. I've been a huge fan of JRPG's ever since dragon warrior and final fantasy on the NES. I was about 4 or 5 and had no clue what I was doing but I knew these games were absolutely epic.

 

Someone above me mentioned it but they feel like JRPG's have changed too much this gen. I completely agree. When I buy a JRPG I want menu driven turn based grinding games. VC is a really great game but I don't care much for the FPS SRPG style gameplay and Eternal Sonata had a god awful battle system. If I want to hack 'n slash, I'll play freaking bayonetta. I don't buy JRPG's so I can mash buttons.

 

I really hope the low reviews don't put too big of a damper on WKC sales. The game is much better than the reviews are stating and this is the first time in which I've felt like a game is getting really unfair treatment from the press.

ps2, psp go, ps3 80gig, headset, playstation eye

Get your Portable ID!
Message 20 of 26 (148 Views)
Reply
0 Likes