Why JRPG's Fail.

25 replies 38 views Edited Feb 8, 2010
Message 1 of 26 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Re: Why JRPG's Fail.

Feb 8, 2010
People play and want JRPG's because they are the same. That's what players like. Just think of a FPS like the Call of Duty series. There's no evolution, they just change who your shooting at and update graphics.(Don't rag I own MW2 and love it)
Message 2 of 26 (38 Views)
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Feb 8, 2010

Personally, I really enjoy them. At their core, I like how combat and customization works..Of course each has its own tweak to those aspects, but overall, as the article says, they're pretty similar...

However, I'm not playing JRPG's for a revolutionary new way of doing something. I play them for the story. Personally, I think the basic formula still works, and if you have an epic story to tell, its going to be well received. WKC has almost everything I love about jrpgs in it, it just didn't develop any of them very well. I still enjoy the game, but it could be really elevated to an upper level just by tweaking some things. I do find the story pretty weak, hopefully characters develop better in the next one, but I do think this WKC can be saved by a hefty patch. Increase the difficulty, fix the damage glitch, give me more of a reward from georama...In the realm of difficulty in a game, I find myself comparing things to Demons Souls, so I'm eager for a challenge that at least matches that.

Again, I do enjoy WKC, and I still see a lot of potential. I'll be disappointed if they dump it and dont develop a patch or dlc for it because of some reviews.

Message 3 of 26 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
118 posts

Feb 8, 2010

lol... what a joke, WRPGs do not evolve either... They think they do because they give players dialogue options, but honestly if you play through those games more than once you end up finding out that many of the outcomes are still the same no matter which 'Good' or 'Evil' branch you take. I'll take my JRPG grindfest over Mass Effect's crappy 3rd person shooter style any day. I have been a gamer for 21 years now and JRPG has always been my favorite genre, whether its an action rpg or turn based,

There is not a person out there who can say Fallout 3's V.A.T.S or crappy FPS play make for an addictive way to work you're way up to max lvl and endgame... But anyways in the end it all comes down to personal tastes, sure North American gamers may not care for the slow paced combat of JRPG or the fact that they don't have stupid Black or White moral choices, but the Japanese love them and they will always sell better than Oblivian, Fallout, or Mass Effect over there, as well as see my American money before the above mentioned titles ( I own all of them... but buy them used).

so while American players spend their time trying to have sex with an alien, I'm just gonna continue to enjoy my future JRPGs with their linear stories, thousands of items to farm, and spikey haired dudes... Last Rebellion, Final Fantasy XIII, and Resonance of Fate will be burning up in my PS3 while Mass Effect collects dust...

Message 4 of 26 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
769 posts

Feb 8, 2010

some ppl dont know how to play JRPG.....for white knight chronicles i really enjoy this game even they gave a review 5.1 for ign. but for me i prolly give this like 8.0

i hope in WKC 2 there's prolly a lot improvement its gonna be

Message 5 of 26 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
118 posts

Feb 8, 2010
Sadly we North American gamers may not see WKC2 due to such poor North American reception of it... I too love WKC 8.5 for me, but its a cold truth that happens to many JRPG franchises.
Message 6 of 26 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
769 posts

Feb 8, 2010

Trivium wrote:
Sadly we North American gamers may not see WKC2 due to such poor North American reception of it... I too love WKC 8.5 for me, but its a cold truth that happens to many JRPG franchises.

wat do u mean poor reception? internet? lol

Message 7 of 26 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Feb 8, 2010
I stoped paying attention when they mentioned dialogue choices. Like they matter most the time. In DAO it will change who's in the final battle, but that's it, big deal. In Fallout 3 / Oblivion it changes pretty much nothing.
Message 8 of 26 (38 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Feb 8, 2010

Reception means nothing in this genre. American reviewers don't give good reviews to a title in this genre unless they are running adverts for them.  Sales numbers will decide the fate of whether WKC2 comes over or not.  I'll be posting first 10 week sales data from VGChartz as the numbers come in as I've done with previous JRPGs.  Hope we get the sequel.

Trivium wrote:

Message 9 of 26 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4713 posts

Feb 8, 2010

I think they have a point. Just look at some of the most loved RPGs and they normally stood out for being different. For example Legend of Dragoon and Xenogears both had very unique combat systems. Ten years or more from now do you think many people will remember Cross Edge if they don't make any sequels?

I love RPGs but when I think about my all time favorites there is normally something about them that makes them stand out from the rest. Parasite Eve (PS) had a unique combat system and was one of the very few RPGs that was set in the modern day. Shadowrun (SNES) was completely different than any other RPG I had played in my life. The Suikoden series (PS & PS2) has tons of different characters to recruit and interact with. So on and so forth...

Most RPGs have a been there done that to death feel. The ones that really stand out did something different, had an amazing story, and/or had fantastic gameplay. This applies to both WRPGs and JRPGs.

I will admit that their are several stereotypes I am burned out on when it comes to JRPGs and for the last few years have been far more interested in WRPGs. It would be nice to see some JRPGs with appropriate technology for the setting. They can travel to different planets but still have to fight with swords?!

Message 10 of 26 (38 Views)
0 Likes