Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Sackboy
Registered: 09/15/2012
Offline
450 posts
 

Re: Who hasn't played Persona?

Oct 26, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

I understand that many people are crazed about certain games. But when it comes to these kind of things, just look at The Elder Scrolls series. I didn't care much for the game, whereas everyone else put it on a pedestal. Just about everyone loves Call of Duty, whereas I'd rather tie it to the front of a speeding train. My opinion of the way Persona 3 comes across is as a mediocre role-playing experience. If I'm not wrong then I'd have wasted time and money on a product that I'm not looking forward to playing. Taking that chance to try and prove otherwise would be a mistake, especially now. With Holiday releases coming up I'll be swamped, even with the likes of the undesirable Call of Duty. :smileywink:


Yea but this is different. People who like video games for the same reason as you are telling you that you will enjoy it. Not only are you an rpg fan but you are also an anime fan. The few problems that most people have with the game should not bother you at all. Honestly there i no doubt in my mind that you will love this game after looking at some of the things you enjoy. Most of the Persona fan base share the things you enjoy to do. The game is literally praised for everything you look for in a rpg. Elder Scolls you may not like but I doubt could seriously complain about thegames open world. That is excatly why people like it and if you don't like that in a game than of course you're not going to like it. Same thingfor call of duty,it gets praised for it's shooting action and multiplayer and if you don't want that in the game you play you're obviously not going to like it. Persona 3 on the other hand gets praised for the things you like in a game, character and story. You should want to try this out due to the high praise it gets in these areas that you look for in a rpg and the places were people consider it weak in should not bother you at all.

Please use plain text.
Message 81 of 96 (155 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 04/26/2007
Online
11072 posts
 

Re: Who hasn't played Persona?

Oct 26, 2012

Being an RPG and anime fan still doesn't keep away the badness or blandness away from all related content in either field. I'm a movie lover, but have seen soooooo many bad movies. I like to wear clothes but have been in outfits that didn't fit. Food tastes great but not all of it. There are always going to be some things that I won't like about everything that I do like.

 

I have a feeling as if Persona 3 will not be able to persuade my interest in it very much if at all.


Please use plain text.
Message 82 of 96 (153 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/15/2012
Offline
450 posts
 

Re: Who hasn't played Persona?

Oct 26, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Being an RPG and anime fan still doesn't keep away the badness or blandness away from all related content in either field. I'm a movie lover, but have seen soooooo many bad movies. I like to wear clothes but have been in outfits that didn't fit. Food tastes great but not all of it. There are always going to be some things that I won't like about everything that I do like.

 

I have a feeling as if Persona 3 will not be able to persuade my interest in it very much if at all.


Yea but this is not a bad game. Of course not going to like all movies because not all movies are suppose to meet what you are looking for in a movie but it could be exactly what another person is looking for. A bad movie for the most part gets little praise for the most part but there is a difference between being bad and just not being what you are interested in. Even the people who don't like the game (people who are not rpg fans at all) admit that the story and characters are te game's strong points. These are the things that you said you liked in an rpg. You don't even really have a good reason to thik that you will dislike persona 3. Anything that is this highly recommended to you and is said to fit what yo like in a rpg you should atleast consider. Trust the people who actually played the game and share many of the things that you like in a game. Everything points to how much you will like this game and absolutely nothing you have said points to you disliking the game at all. From what you say that you like in games and some of the games you say you really like this could be your favorite game of all time. The game also has not much in common with the games you say you dislike.

Please use plain text.
Message 83 of 96 (150 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 04/26/2007
Online
11072 posts
 

Re: Who hasn't played Persona?

Oct 27, 2012

Trusting the opinions of others has gotten me erroneous results at times. Not always, but there are a few RPGs that come to mind where I've been sold on the game. For instance, Demon's Souls was mostly the result of recommendations and my slight interest in wanting to brave the odds that would be against me. Having done so, the game isn't the worst I've played, but it's definitely not as high-ranking as critics or other gamers have raved about.

 

Another one that comes to mind is Valhalla Knights. Purchased after asking a GameStop employee if it was a good game (since I didn't know anything about it beforehand), the guy simply said it's good enough for $15. Of course, after thinking about it, that's essentially like telling the customer 'it's cheap so give us your money.' I didn't like the horrid game at all and regret spending the dough.

 

Speaking of movies though, there have been movies other people have hated and I've loved. And the opposite can be said all the same. My opinion isn't the same on everything in the world of storytelling, or anime, or people shooting themselves in the head. The plot, gameplay, and everything else about Persona 3 doesn't sound like it would be for me, just the same as other games from Atlus (like that of Demon's Souls).


Please use plain text.
Message 84 of 96 (142 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/15/2012
Offline
450 posts
 

Re: Who hasn't played Persona?

Oct 27, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Trusting the opinions of others has gotten me erroneous results at times. Not always, but there are a few RPGs that come to mind where I've been sold on the game. For instance, Demon's Souls was mostly the result of recommendations and my slight interest in wanting to brave the odds that would be against me. Having done so, the game isn't the worst I've played, but it's definitely not as high-ranking as critics or other gamers have raved about.

 

Another one that comes to mind is Valhalla Knights. Purchased after asking a GameStop employee if it was a good game (since I didn't know anything about it beforehand), the guy simply said it's good enough for $15. Of course, after thinking about it, that's essentially like telling the customer 'it's cheap so give us your money.' I didn't like the horrid game at all and regret spending the dough.

 

Speaking of movies though, there have been movies other people have hated and I've loved. And the opposite can be said all the same. My opinion isn't the same on everything in the world of storytelling, or anime, or people shooting themselves in the head. The plot, gameplay, and everything else about Persona 3 doesn't sound like it would be for me, just the same as other games from Atlus (like that of Demon's Souls).


So basically you don't want to play the game because you played of couple of other that you didn't like that weren't even made by the same company. I never said your opinion isn't the same on everything. I'm just saying that the areas where the game constantly gets praise in happen to be what you like about rpgs unless you don't like strong story and charactes in a rpg. Honestly, if described your taste and what you like in a rpg to anybody who has played persona 3 they would say it was mad for you. Persona 3 and 4 are actually known for unique setting and story so I'm definetly not saying you will like it because the story is similar to other rpgs. Just 3 and 4 are even sometimes compared to the whole final fantay franchise. The persona series takes on themes that are very deep and most forms of media are afraid to adress. Persona 3 for example basically revolves around the latin phrase momento mori. This means remember you're mortal,remember you must die, remember you will die. You literally see this in the second opening in the game. Can you honestly say that this dosen't interest you at all? 

Please use plain text.
Message 85 of 96 (139 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 04/26/2007
Online
11072 posts
 

Re: Who hasn't played Persona?

Oct 27, 2012

I don't know if that phrasing sounds like it would be me for me or not, as the story hasn't encircled me yet. I'm not wrapped up in the characters and what they're going through. I'd have to be in it.

 

If you're certain Persona 3 is for me then maybe I'll give it a shot. However, as I mentioned it's very bad timing to tackle Persona 3 right about now. I'll be getting my hands on another RPG game pretty soon (Paper Mario: Sticker Star). Then I'll be lost in that probably until December or beyond. Then Ni no Kuni comes out in January, which I'm extremely stoked about. Unless Persona is extremely short I don't think I could squeeze it in any time soon. :smileywink:


Please use plain text.
Message 86 of 96 (131 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/15/2012
Offline
450 posts
 

Re: Who hasn't played Persona?

Oct 27, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

I don't know if that phrasing sounds like it would be me for me or not, as the story hasn't encircled me yet. I'm not wrapped up in the characters and what they're going through. I'd have to be in it.

 

If you're certain Persona 3 is for me then maybe I'll give it a shot. However, as I mentioned it's very bad timing to tackle Persona 3 right about now. I'll be getting my hands on another RPG game pretty soon (Paper Mario: Sticker Star). Then I'll be lost in that probably until December or beyond. Then Ni no Kuni comes out in January, which I'm extremely stoked about. Unless Persona is extremely short I don't think I could squeeze it in any time soon. :smileywink:


Thank you, thats all I want. Trust me you won't regret it if you buy it. Althouugh you should wait until you have plenty of time because one of the things persona is known for is being long. I just have onne request though, when or if you get the game can you tell me how you like it ?

Please use plain text.
Message 87 of 96 (126 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 04/26/2007
Online
11072 posts
 

Re: Who hasn't played Persona?

Oct 28, 2012

I'll let you know somehow. Though it obviously wouldn't happen immediately. Not to mention we're supposedly facing the end of days here. If 2012 is anything like the movie Seeking a Friend for the End of the World then everyone is doomed before the 2013 goodie bag is even opened. :smileysad:


Please use plain text.
Message 88 of 96 (121 Views)
Reply
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 07/30/2007
Offline
3979 posts
 

Re: Who hasn't played Persona?

Oct 28, 2012

Well, I'm late to join this thread, but I do think Persona 3 is awesome.  It's not for everyone, and it certainly isn't short, but the extended cut is available as a $10 psn download.  I don't like wrpgs, but Personas 3 and 4 are nothing like wrpgs, and I love them both.  Don't be afraid to add a game like Persona 3 to your backlog.  You want to know what kind of backlog I have, even if you just include rpgs?  We don't speak of that, unless you want a real halloween scare.:smileysurprised: 

Please use plain text.
Message 89 of 96 (116 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/15/2012
Offline
450 posts
 

Re: Who hasn't played Persona?

Oct 28, 2012

tross88 wrote:

Well, I'm late to join this thread, but I do think Persona 3 is awesome.  It's not for everyone, and it certainly isn't short, but the extended cut is available as a $10 psn download.  I don't like wrpgs, but Personas 3 and 4 are nothing like wrpgs, and I love them both.  Don't be afraid to add a game like Persona 3 to your backlog.  You want to know what kind of backlog I have, even if you just include rpgs?  We don't speak of that, unless you want a real halloween scare.:smileysurprised: 


Thank you my good sir for sharing. I want as many people as possible to atleast know about Persona.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please use plain text.
Message 90 of 96 (110 Views)
Reply
0 Likes