Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 20 2010
By: Michelasso Treasure Hunter 5541 posts

Which PS3 games gave me an RPG, or an enjoyable feeling so far

38 replies 563 views Edited May 20, 2010

After the recent Bioware statement about "FF XIII not being an RPG" I'd like to discuss what people think has been a good (and real) RPG in the PS3. Personally I played in chronological order:

- Oblivion

- Fallout 3

- Valkyria Chronicles

- Demon's Souls

- Dragon Age: Origins

- Borderlands (I know, I don't consider it an RPG at all. But some do)

- FF XIII

IMVHO out of the six I consider classic RPGs:  FF XIII - DA: O - DS.

Bethesda games, Oblivion and F3 were excellent and very entertaining. But I have a weird feeling about considering them RPGs. VC looks to me more like a strategy game. Borderlands... well. As I wrote already it's just a shooter. Kind of fun, nothing really special.

So, talking about the 3 games giving me the RPGs feeling I hate to admit that the one involving me more has been DA: O indeed. Maybe because of the eternal chatting. Or the fact that we can start the game with 6 different initial stories. Obviously the fact that we could switch characters on the fly helped a lot. DS is a solitary game. Pretty dark one. Scaring. Very hard. But nonetheless great. Then FF XIII. Square Enix took out far too many things from it, but the basics of FF games are all there. And no matter what others say I enjoyed it a lot.

The problem comes when we talk about quality. Guess what, all the Japanese games were nearly bug free. With FF XIII on top, obviously. Borderlands and Oblivion are made of good quality. But the loading times can get tedious sometimes. Fallout 3 and DA: O a TOTAL MESS!! Lot of freezings, constant frame rate lagging, games getting stuck to revive after a minute. Horrible graphics for DA: O and not so good for F3.

Now, I don't care what Bioware says about the classification of other games. They did make a great RPG concept. Too bad that its implementation sucks in a big way. Thus, as a customer, I'd rather have the beautiful, fast, bug free FF XIII (or DS) than that gem of their playing like total crap anytime there is a major battle going on.  

Unfortunately I bought the Darkspawn Chronicles DLC for DA: O yesterday, and after dying 10 times in a row because the frame rate was dropping to zero to read that they even dare to judge other companies games made me a little angry,

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 1 of 39 (563 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Re: Which PS3 games gave me an RPG, or an enjoyable feeling so far

May 20, 2010

I consider all of them on your list an RPG except for Valkyria Chronicles and Borderlands. Valkyria is a strategy game and Borderlands is a shooter with RPG elements.

Message 2 of 39 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2022 posts

May 20, 2010

IMO I consider Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Dragon Age: Origins to be true RPGs because you create your own character and decide how they develope during the course of the game. Since I have not played Demon's Souls I am not able to comment on it. I enjoyed playing all three of these games.

Message 3 of 39 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1978 posts

May 21, 2010

It simply depends on whether or not you decide to follow the definition of what a RPG is.

A role playing game(RPG)  is a broad family of games in which players assume the roles of characters, or take control of one or more avatars, in a fictional setting. Actions taken within the game succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.  

If you do, most games really are RPGs when you think about it.

Message 4 of 39 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3043 posts

May 21, 2010

Michelasso you make some valid points about RPG games.

The way I see what makes a good RPG is going back to the old school definitition of Role Playing Game.

When I was a kid before the time of computer games, I played the dice games (which RPGs came from)

like D&D, Shadowrun, DC, Marvel, Champions, Paranioa, and many other fantasy RPGs.  You pick a character/role

to play in the game and make decisions based upon the active role behavior that you choose through the options

that the Game/Dungeon Master give out to you.  A successful RPG computer game (PC or Console PS3/XBOX/Wii)

the GM and dice are replaced by the AI giving you choices with the related statistical outcomes from the paths

the player decided to take.

From what I read many of the games on your list fit that definition.  However with that stated I've read some

controversy about FFXIII from many different people that it doesn't fall into the RPG category.  I myself haven't

played the game so can't fully comment on this.  From my experience in previous Final Fantasy games you

talk to people and have decisions to make, where certain outcomes will happen.  But if there's a game where

you're just directed of what to do in each situation, then it's more of just an Adventure Game without the RPG

experience.

Personally I think Oblvion has been the best RPG game for me.  Other games like DragonAge are good as well.

In reference to the frame rate experience that's just something I've accepted with high rich content games that

over time can be fixed through better development and improving computer/console system.  This seems to be

prevalent in just about any game where you have several characters moving at the same time in game (which can

also be said about Multiplayer games like MW2 or Warhawk having lag in full rooms).  Just the process of high content

data overall being limited by its virtual developed container.

One thing to note, which may help your ps3 process speed.  I originally bought a 40GB ps3 console.  Later I upgraded it by

switching the hard drive with a 500GB Western Digital.  The process time of rich content data overall as been more efficient after this switch.

Usually when playing DragonAge (including with DLC contents) my frame rate is only slow at the beginning of when a fight is initiated.

Over time within the battle my frame rate gets back up to a good speed as my system compensates.

pierceSig
Message 5 of 39 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5541 posts

May 22, 2010

Well Pierceholden, I do have a 500GB HDD already. Still DA: O DLC  framerate is absolutely awful.Even worse than the one when playing the disc game. Then I remember FF XII having some battles with tons of enemies. There was indeed a frame rate drop, but very slight. With the processing power of the PS3 I'm pretty sure there is a lot of space for optimization. I mean, the FR really dropped to ZERO. That was unbelievable.

Anyway, I played D&D with dice as well. From that point of view all FF games kept that concept, FF XIII included. They are also turn based which is what I like the most on RPGs. I agree that what FF XIII misses is the option to chat with people and get different paths in the story and/or quests, hidden areas etc. Still to claim that FF XIII is not an RPG is pretty dumb to me. The paradigm system is a great concept to me. And not using the autobattle helps a lot to enjoy and do better fights. Gran Pulse it's where it expands after having finished the (far too linear) story. As usual I should say. It's a stripped down RPG, as I wrote.

With Bethesda games personally I've got the problem of getting lost in the story. Leveling feels to me pretty weak. Also I prefer the FF style where we end up maxing up and getting everything (like all techniques, spells, etc) than to have to chose (and even worse to have to pay for a DLC to raise the level cap). But they are great games. It's just that I don't feel like I am.. playing a role. Well, maybe less with F3 than Oblivion. I had a better RPG feeling with Bioshock, for example. To me is more RPGesque than F3.

To be clear I'm not arguing that Bethesda games are not RPGs. I do for Borderlands and maybe Valkyria Chronicles being the last a strategy game. As I'm not saying that I won't buy any Bethesda sequels. Because I will. But I didn't buy DA Awakening for example. And I'll never do. I just bought this DLC hoping that we could do half of the game as a darkspawn. To be honest, as I said DA: O might have the most RPG concept, but it has a big problem to me: I find it boring. I could play 3 times FF XIII if I had to, but the idea to play twice again DA: O for Platinum bores me to hell. I also completed the 1st chapter only with 3 characters. While I played twice Oblivion, since my PS3 failed and I lost the game save. I probably put 400 h on it. At the end, RPG definitions apart what it matters is how much fun a game is.

----
Message 6 of 39 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6213 posts

May 24, 2010

that's why i prefer to play bioware games on PC but i'm wary about PC DLC over console (ironically i trust console more when it comes to DLC even though in theory it's the same, reasons should be obvious enough why i trust console more)

i dunno if this matters much but is your 500GB hdd 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm?

i have a 320GB 7200rpm

What Drives You?
Message 7 of 39 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5541 posts

May 24, 2010

Well, I've bought a 500GB 5400 rpm HDD. Actually 2, one for my MacBook as well. In my Mac the r/w speed practically doubled. I still don't consider the HW an excuse, tho. Otherwise someone should explain me how FF XII can play so well with many enemies in the small PS2 as I wrote. Ok, with standard definition graphics, but the graphics was still amazing (and somehow superior to the one of DA: O).

----
Message 8 of 39 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6213 posts

May 24, 2010

Michelasso wrote:

Well, I've bought a 500GB 5400 rpm HDD. Actually 2, one for my MacBook as well. In my Mac the r/w speed practically doubled. I still don't consider the HW an excuse, tho. Otherwise someone should explain me how FF XII can play so well with many enemies in the small PS2 as I wrote. Ok, with standard definition graphics, but the graphics was still amazing (and somehow superior to the one of DA: O).

bad programming

the only game i've been impressed so far is god of war 3, granted it's a first party title but they did a good job on it

FFXII came near the end of PS2's life cycle so all those years of programming experience helped

PS3 on the other hand, just like PS2 is intentionally hard to program and it was admitted and done on purpose (i think wiki has the source for this)

the reasoning on this has some logic but i think it hurts more than it helps

bioware doesn't have a lot of console experience besides xbox and don't be surprised if there games come out worse on PS3, they just lack  the experience and talent to make great PS3 games

it can be done but not many do it well and if they do, is it really worth the effort, time and resources invested?

What Drives You?
Message 9 of 39 (563 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6213 posts

May 24, 2010

PIERCEHOLDEN wrote:

Regardless if you get a 7200 rpm HDD, the ps3 will still run it at 5400 rpm.  So not worth paying for more if same output.

There's rumors that I've read that the next installment of Oblivion will be multiplayer.  Also will put more Morrowind theme into the game.

Not sure if any of this is true.  Would be a lot of content to play with.  Maybe they'll put in the Castle Quest which is in Oblivion's PC version, where you take over a castle and then rule the land (not to be confused with Shivering Isles).  Don't know the details of the Castle Quest PC version.

u can't limit rotations

it runs whatever it runs at

the only thing that's limited is the transfer rate, 1.5gb/s

installing makes the most noticable difference, load times and saving not so much

the difference for the same size and manufacturer for the extra speed is ~10 bucks

worth it imo

What Drives You?
Message 10 of 39 (563 Views)
0 Likes